BDR-207EBK slow read speeds

vbimport

Got my BDR-207EBK (207M) one year ago and it was working perfectly fine for ripping BDs but since the last week it has been slow.

I’ve updated firmware, changed SATA/Power cables and made sure it is running in UDMA Mode and the problem still persists.

BD-ROM DL:

BD-R SL:

Any help would be much appreciated.

Also, does anybody have a link to Pioneer BD Drive Utility for my model? I couldn’t find it anywhere.

Have you by chance installed any new software?

I know not where you may find the Drive Utility for the 207EBK, if one is meant to exist.

[QUOTE=Albert;2752546]Have you by chance installed any new software?

I know not where you may find the Drive Utility for the 207EBK, if one is meant to exist.[/QUOTE]

I’ve uninstalled every new software to make sure. Also tried it on another OS installation on the same PC and the problem still exists.

The funny thing is that I’ve tried burning a Verbatim BD-R SL 6X disc and it burnt it fine at 12X :confused:

Got Pioneer BD Drive Utility and Quiet, Standard and Performance modes are all the same for me.

I did a full rip with DVDFab for a 45GB BD movie in 29 minutes with max speed of ~28MB/s and I remember I reached 35MB/s max speed before and around 18 minutes time.

Also tried the drive on another PC and TRT is the same.

I can’t hear the drive spinning fast as it should and as it spins when I insert a blank BD disc.

Correction: Not a full rip but rather MKV Passthrough with direct copy of video and one audio track.

The only thing I can immediately think to check is if the drive is maybe a bit dusty/dirty inside from all the use. Otherwise, maybe the drive has simply aged and is compensating for a weaker reading ability.

[QUOTE=Albert;2752726]The only thing I can immediately think to check is if the drive is maybe a bit dusty/dirty inside from all the use. Otherwise, maybe the drive has simply aged and is compensating for a weaker reading ability.[/QUOTE]

I’ve opened it and checked for dust and it is in a great condition.
I’ve also cleaned the lenses just in case and it is still the same.

& DVD can reach 16x/CD can reach 40x no problem?

I genuinely think the drive has aged and maybe restricted itself in terms of read speed. I dunno if the BDR drives are anything like the DVR drives, but I think Pioneer tends to set a drive to immediately rev to the highest speed possible when it detects a disc. It might be at that point that it does a quick test, determines it can no longer read at max speed, and applies a limit to itself.

Or maybe it’s a fluke, where all your BD media (including pressed discs) are of questionable quality suddenly.

Or maybe it’s just a bad drive/bad luck. I wish there was a way to check the health of the BD laser diode on these drives, but I don’t know of a way to do so.

[QUOTE=Albert;2752788]& DVD can reach 16x/CD can reach 40x no problem?

I genuinely think the drive has aged and maybe restricted itself in terms of read speed. I dunno if the BDR drives are anything like the DVR drives, but I think Pioneer tends to set a drive to immediately rev to the highest speed possible when it detects a disc. It might be at that point that it does a quick test, determines it can no longer read at max speed, and applies a limit to itself.

Or maybe it’s a fluke, where all your BD media (including pressed discs) are of questionable quality suddenly.

Or maybe it’s just a bad drive/bad luck. I wish there was a way to check the health of the BD laser diode on these drives, but I don’t know of a way to do so.[/QUOTE]

I’ve only tried a pressed DVD-ROM DL disc and it reached a maximum of 8X speed instead of 12X as in reviews for this drive.

All my BD discs are brand new so I don’t think it is a quality issue with the discs.

I will try to borrow a friend’s BDR-209DBK and try it on my PC.

Borrowed a 209D from a friend and it is working fine with normal read speeds on the same PC.

Well, I’ve no clue. Unless the drive has put itself into the S07’s quiet read mode (which it isn’t supposed to do, given the 207 firmware and inability to toggle that feature on/off unless it is an S07), then I guess it’s just a dud of a drive.