BDR-207DBK problem with DVD-R

Building a new video editing system. Windows 7 Professional, ASUS P9X79 PRO, and a new Pioneer BDR-207DBK, which was highly recommended in discussion groups. It worked fine as a CD reader to install Windows. After doing the Windows updates, I tried to read a commercial DVD and it failed. So … I upgraded the firmware to 1.30, the latest on the Pioneer site, rebooted, and now I can read DVDs. Next I tried the main purpose for this unit - burning DVDs. It fails to burn DVD-R disks! I have been using Taiyo Yuden (now JVC) professional 8X blanks for 5 years or more, and have never had a coaster burn using my Benq drive on Win XP. I have had four (4) failures on the new system using these blanks on the Pioneer. I installed the Pioneer on my XP system and it won’t burn DVD-R there either. I uninstalled the drive on my Win 7 system and reinstalled it. I found some old HP DVD+R blanks and to my surprise the Pioneer burned two (2) of those using different content just fine. I’m using Sony DVDA 5 and 6 as burning software. When attempting to burn a DVD-R, it takes a long time to start, the software indicates some progress, then it just gets stuck. After a half hour, it is still stuck at the same place. If I play the failed disks, I find it has burned the menu and about 2 minutes of content. What it has burned is excellent quality. I don’t even want to try a BluRay burn until I get this DVD-R problem resolved. Does anyone here have any suggestions for me?

Try burning with ImgBurn, just to eliminate problems with software.

www.imgburn.com

It is free to download and use, and is widely regarded as the best burning software available. If you have a failure, post the log from the burn. (you can find the log by clicking on Help within ImgBurn)

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2668104]Try burning with ImgBurn, just to eliminate problems with software.

www.imgburn.com

It is free to download and use, and is widely regarded as the best burning software available. If you have a failure, post the log from the burn. (you can find the log by clicking on Help within ImgBurn)[/QUOTE]

Imgburn burned two (2) ISO images to DVD-R just fine. Thanks for the input - I had not considered that Sony DVDA Pro would have a problem with this device. I will not take up the issue with Sony.

Regarding Imgburn - quite a program - I’m impressed with the program, but I have to say, a terrible web site - it tries to trick you into downloading multiple programs, and it is extremely difficult to find the actual download for Imgburn. Then the download package contains other software that must be unchecked to avoid installing them. Even though I was watching for that junk, it still managed to install a tool bar on my Firefox browser, and it changed my default search engine.

I’m really glad I found this forum - thanks again for the help.
Imgburn log attached.

ImgBurn120812.txt (6.64 KB)

[QUOTE=bugsalive;2668151]Imgburn burned two (2) ISO images to DVD-R just fine. Thanks for the input - I had not considered that Sony DVDA Pro would have a problem with this device. I will not take up the issue with Sony.

Regarding Imgburn - quite a program - I’m impressed with the program, but I have to say, a terrible web site - it tries to trick you into downloading multiple programs, and it is extremely difficult to find the actual download for Imgburn. Then the download package contains other software that must be unchecked to avoid installing them. Even though I was watching for that junk, it still managed to install a tool bar on my Firefox browser, and it changed my default search engine.

I’m really glad I found this forum - thanks again for the help.
Imgburn log attached.[/QUOTE]

Sorry that you had problems with the install. I should have warned you about the crapware that you have to avoid.

LUK is the author of that program and is an honorary moderator here. We have a subforum set up for questions regarding ImgBurn if you run into any issues, and he checks in there quite often.

Good luck with your new burner, and you’ll be welcome back anytime.

You may have used discs from the same brand within the last 5 years, but that doesnt mean they havent changed something within their product at all.
You have used WORM, not RW media.

[B]Imgburn is The Best![/B]

[QUOTE=chef;2669430] You may have used discs of the same brand within the last 5 years, but that doesn’t mean they haven’t changed something within their product at all.
You have used WORM, not RW media.

[B]Imgburn is The Best![/B][/QUOTE]

I know that the Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD media I have been using is working fine in my Benq burner and I know I have had no complaints from customers. Although I was apprehensive when they were bought out by JVC, I could detect no change in quality or reliability. And Imgburn burns them just fine on the Pioneer. I don’t see how it could be a media problem. I have contacted Sony, as I still feel it is a software issue, but they have yet to reply - pretty slow. And I don’t know what you mean by “WORM”.

Though it is hard to tell with chef sometimes, I think he means write once recordable media.

TY 8x is some of the best available media. I wouldn’t change from it.