BDR-207DBK not reading BD disks anymore

vbimport

I have a Pioneer BDR-207DBK optical drive. After a recent firmware update (perhaps even before that) it doesn’t read/write bluray disks anymore (no matter BD25, BD50 or BD-RE). Is there anything to fix this yet?

Does the drive work to read and burn DVD’s and CD’s? If so, then you may have a partial failure in the drive, and the Blu-ray laser may not be functioning properly.

It does read and write CDs/DVDs. It used to write BDs.

Blu-ray laser may not be functioning properly

What can be the cause of these cases?

Anything I might say as to the cause of the failure would be pure speculation on my part. In other words, I don’t know. :slight_smile: Especially not from long distance efforts to diagnose the problem.

Partial failures of optical drives are not really rare. We see them fairly often. Your drive uses a different laser for reading and burning Blu-ray, so this one component may have simply gone bad.

If you think the firmware update had something to do with the failure, you can try reflashing the drive.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2732090]…
If you think the firmware update had something to do with the failure, you can try reflashing the drive.[/QUOTE]

It says in the firmware’s instructions - “Once updated to version 1.35, this drive will not revert to older firmware versions.”

I thought a reflashing might help, but it says ''the firmware installed is the latest" in both cases - when I try to install the previous and the latest versions. Do you know if one can force a reflash?

[QUOTE=Med1aN1ck;2732282]Do you know if one can force a reflash?[/QUOTE]

One can. But as long as you are unable to use a simple search engine you’ll never know…the truth.

[QUOTE=chef;2732332]One can. But as long as you are unable to use a simple search engine you’ll never know…the truth.[/QUOTE]

How rude, chef !

I’ve read in this thread that upgrading to v.1.30 caused certain malfunctions, but I wasn’t able to find out whether a software to force a reflash on BDR-207DBK exists.

If you know whether is still possible to downgrade the Pioneer drive to previous versions or it is definitely impossible and my BD-burning capabilities are gone for good, please tell so - it would be much appreciated.

I think you may be SOL on reflashing this drive. I’m not an expert on this, so maybe someone else has some insight, but I haven’t found anything helpful for you.

Thanks Kerry56,
I also have not found any clues as to whether that is possible. I’ll try to find help elsewhere.