BDR-206 vs. BDR-206DBK

vbimport

Pioneer has both the BDR-206 and the BDR-206DBK listed on their website. They look to have identical specs other than the part number. My guess is internal components are different and the DBK is a newer revision but I still don’t understand why Pioneer is still advertising both. Does anyone have any experience/knowledge with these two drives and which one is better? From my experience, newer does not always mean better/more reliable. Amazon has both for $100 and I am ready to pull the trigger on one but am not sure which one to get. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I believe you will get the same drive either way.

The only 206 that is different hardware is the 206MBK, which writes to BDXL media in addition to what the standard 206 supports.

if you want to future proof your purchase buy the drive with BDXL support, 100GB media is already out in Japan and will probably be available everywhere by next year.

[QUOTE=tgbanshee;2604534]Pioneer has both the BDR-206 and the BDR-206DBK listed on their website. They look to have identical specs other than the part number. [/QUOTE]In the old times, when Pioneer made DVD writers, the “D” models had DVD-RAM support disabled by firmware. Could this be the case with these BD drives also?

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2604650]In the old times, when Pioneer made DVD writers, the “D” models had DVD-RAM support disabled by firmware. Could this be the case with these BD drives also?

Michael[/QUOTE]

edit: I can’t quite get any sites to agree on whether or not the -DBK version of the 206 has DVD-RAM support. Pioneer’s site doesn’t explicitly list it, but they also don’t have the specs for the plain 206. So…maybe this is the case?

If so, is it wrong of me to say it doesn’t matter? :bigsmile:

The “D” models does not support writing on DVD-RAM and can find the information from official site.

http://pioneer.jp/device_e/product-e/ibs/device_e/pdf/BDR206D_FW106_MediaList.pdf

I have the BDR-206DBK and I thought that it was a European version of the 206. The firmwares are not compatible, you cannot flash the DBK with 206 firmware, not using the Pioneer flasher anyway. [QUOTE=2601;2604694]The “D” models does not support writing on DVD-RAM and can find the information from official site.

http://pioneer.jp/device_e/product-e/ibs/device_e/pdf/BDR206D_FW106_MediaList.pdf[/QUOTE] If it was disabled then it wouldn’t. However, I doubt that it can.

[QUOTE=RedDwarf;2604780]I have the BDR-206DBK and I thought that it was a European version of the 206. The firmwares are not compatible, you cannot flash the DBK with 206 firmware, not using the Pioneer flasher anyway. [/QUOTE]

That is perfectly normal as technically speaking they are different models. The 206D is basically a 206 with DVD-RAM write support disabled in firmware. Hardware wise they are identical.

Crossflashing a BDR-206D to a BDR-206 proper and enabling DVD-RAM in the process would be perfectly possible since a BDR-206 kernel firmware is available, but unfortunately DVRFlash (which would make this crossflash possible) does not support yet the BDR-206 family, and until that happens there’s not much one can do to crossflash their BDR-206D drive to a proper BDR-206!

As said before the BDR-206M uses completely different hardware than the rest of the 206 family, so a crossflash is impossible.

I have one of these drives in my PC, but how do I know which one I really have? I have tried the updaters and I am told no valid drive can be found. But the properties in hardware settings show this drive to be a BDR-206. I have a second non-BD optical drive in my machines as well. Could that drive be fooling the updater into thinking that the right drive is missing?

I am trying to solve a problem where the drive is now failing to write ANY DVD. It starts the leadin process, and then simply fails to respond and Nero reports a drive failure. Hoped updating might help.

So, any hints as to why i cannot update would be appreciated as well as anyone who has seen write failures like this.

Thanks

[QUOTE=MajorHavoc;2641626]I have one of these drives in my PC, but how do I know which one I really have? [/QUOTE]

Please post a DiscInfo (http://discinfo.rpc1.org/#Download) screenshot for your drive.

[QUOTE=MajorHavoc;2641626]I am trying to solve a problem where the drive is now failing to write ANY DVD.[/QUOTE]

What discs are you trying to burn and at what speed? What is their MID code (http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/)?

[QUOTE=cvs;2641655]Please post a DiscInfo (http://discinfo.rpc1.org/#Download) screenshot for your drive.[/QUOTE]

Not easy to take that machine apart. Is there something I can look for that will tell me without having to unrack and take apart that machine?

[QUOTE=cvs;2641655]What discs are you trying to burn and at what speed? What is their MID code (http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/)?[/QUOTE]

Well, the key word was “ALL”. Nothing I have works any more. And these are discs that all worked just fine before (from the same package, not just the same kind) and they all fail lead in now. Phillips, Memorex, Sony, TDK, and several other, both DVD-R and DVD+R, and BD-R from Reitek (that box had 50, the first 29 worked fine, now they are failing as well.

Maybe time for a new drive? This is only 1.5 years old. SIGH!

[QUOTE=MajorHavoc;2642258]Not easy to take that machine apart.[/QUOTE]

Who said you have to take the machine apart? :confused: Quite the opposite!

[QUOTE=MajorHavoc;2642258]Is there something I can look for that will tell me without having to unrack and take apart that machine?
[/QUOTE]

Yes: run DiscInfo! Run the program and post a screenshot of the program’s main window in here. It will tell us what drive/firmware you’ve got.

OK, I read that originally as take a real photo of the drive! I guess I was tired. I will try this now, and report below. Thank you. :o

OK, here is what I got. DId you need me to download the database as well before running this, or is this enough. I really do not see any info here that says anything. Do I need to put a DVD into it? Hope this is useful.

Get imgburn and perform a simulated burn …

[QUOTE=MajorHavoc;2641626]I have tried the updaters and I am told no valid drive can be found. [/QUOTE]

This is very odd … and might indicate some system/filer driver configuration issue …

Your drive is definitely a BDR-206 and uses the older 1.04 firmware. If your drive has a standard bezel then the BDR-206 1.06 firmware updater should work. If your drive has the posh looking shiny bezel, then it is a BDR-S06 (which in Windows also identifies as BDR-206) and if you use that particular 1.06 firmware updater, that should do the trick.

If none of the two work, then you either have a system configuration issue blocking the update, or you might have some weird OEM drive.
We can find out exactly which OEM drive you’ve got if you download and run (from the command line) DVRFlash (http://dvrflash.rpc1.org/):

Run it (from the command line) with the following parameters and press y when prompted:

dvrflash g: -v

What you’ll see is something like this:

Drive Information:
   Description : PIONEER BD-RW   BDR-206
  Firmware Rev : 1.06
 Firmware Date : 11/04/18
  Manufacturer : PIONEER
Drive is in normal mode.

Additional Drive Information:
 Serial Number : 
Interface type : SAT
DVR generation : 1030
   Kernel type : GENERAL
   Normal type : GENERAL
Kernel version : 0003

Region : none
       Changes : 5 region changes remaining

The kernel type will tell us exactly what OEM flavour you’ve got …

Do you have any drive emulation/virtual drive software installed (Alcohol, Daemon Tools, etc)? Did you install/uninstall any burning/virtual drive software around the time your drive started to fail by any chance?

This was a new drive in the Pioneer box bought at Frys, so I do not think it should be strange OEM version, unless someone switched the drive.

OK, here is what I got with dvrflash

I was particularly bothered that my drive is listed as incompatible with DVRflash. How come?

[QUOTE=MajorHavoc;2642823]I was particularly bothered that my drive is listed as [B]incompatible[/B] with DVRflash. How come?[/QUOTE]

WHERE?

:bigsmile:

Look at the last line in the terminal image I posted:

“The PIONEER BD-RW BRD-206 is not supported by this utility - Aborting”

Am I misunderstanding that?