BDR-206 inconsistent rip speeds

vbimport

The old blu-ray combo drive in my HTPC died on me the other day (well, the blu-ray laser component of it did) so I decided to replace it with a blu-ray burner since the prices had come down nicely.

After much research, I settled on the BDR-206, as it was rated extremely well in terms of read speeds and reliability. Everything looked solid on all the reviews of it (including this site) and it’s not riplocked (or isn’t supposed to be).

I began having problems as soon as I installed the drive. While it ripped blurays without issue (and much faster than my old drive, I was pleased to see), it would rip DVDs with horrible inconsistency, notably DL discs. It refused to fully spin up when reading the discs, even during the initialization scan give by windows when it was first inserted, giving transfer rates of 2.5-2.7mbps throughout the whole rip. Yet if I took the disc out and replaced it, there was a fair chance it would spin back up and rip normally, though it may take several times to get it to do that. And it has started doing that with bluray also, though not nearly as badly.

The firmware I was running was 1.04. I flashed it to 1.05 today, no difference. MOBO BIOS is the latest.

The discs are all pressed disc, and it happens on discs with pristine surfaces, or those with minor scuffs or scratches. None of the discs exhibiting this behavior during the testing had any issues being ripped at full speed on my old drive.

It’s not an issue with the specific drive itself; I exchanged it for a new one of the same model this morning and the new one is doing the same thing.

Behavior is seen in both AnyDVD and DVD Fab (both latest versions).

Does anyone have any advice on what I could do (short of changing to another brand drive, which I’m considering) to resolve this issue?

I did a bit more experimenting tonight, no closer to an answer.

The drive consistently hates any of my Criterion Edition DVDs. It will not spin up those discs fully, under any circumstances. And I’ve identified a smattering of others in my collection, but nothing linking them together. I thought it might be discs that explicitly advertised Copy Protected, but that turned out not to be the case.

It happens on different computers as well, as I ripped it out of the HTPC and put it on my desktop. The HTPC runs a Gigabyte EP45-UD3R, the desktop an Asus A7V. Both run Win 7 x64 (home and Ultimate respectively). Used DVD Fab 8 for the ripping, though an older release on the desktop.

Well, I gave up on the BDR-206, returned it today. Picked up a LG BH10LS30 instead.

No issues with it, whatsoever. All the problem discs rip at proper speeds now, and while it doesn’t power through the blu-rays QUITE as well as the Pioneer, still does it a sight more respectable than my old drive.

Where did you buy that Pioneer BDR 206 drive ?
I’m asking you because this morning I’ve just ordered one for me .
Was it MIC or MIJ ?

[QUOTE=Amos_;2575168]Where did you buy that Pioneer BDR 206 drive ?
I’m asking you because this morning I’ve just ordered one for me .
Was it MIC or MIJ ?[/QUOTE]

I got the drives from my local Canada Computers. Was an OEM drive.

I ordered mine in Germany through my cousin.
Here in Italy you don’t find a trace of it , even online.
In two weeks I’ll have it .
I will post my impression then.

For now good news. My cousin get the drive and I saw it . It is made in China, but I’m pleased anyway so far…
I will build my new rig in two weeks, when I’ll meet my cousin.

[QUOTE=StitchW;2574818]Well, I gave up on the BDR-206, returned it today. Picked up a LG BH10LS30 instead.

No issues with it, whatsoever. All the problem discs rip at proper speeds now, and while it doesn’t power through the blu-rays QUITE as well as the Pioneer, still does it a sight more respectable than my old drive.[/QUOTE]

The drive was never the problem but your mobo and its chipset/sata controller & setup!

I hope that makes you thinking now.

[QUOTE=chef;2577929]The drive was never the problem but your mobo and its chipset/sata controller & setup!

I hope that makes you thinking now.[/QUOTE]

I’m… sorry? :confused:

Are you telling me that my Gigabyte EP45-UD3R with Intel P45 chipset and Intel storage controller, and Asus P5QL pro (my mistake in my second post; the Asus A7V was my previous computer) with Intel P43 chipset and Marvell 6121 and 6111 SATA controllers, exhibit faults that apparently no one else on the web has reported?

Considering the prevalence of the P45 and P43 chipsets on various manufacturer’s boards, I would think it would have cropped up.

Even if it was an incompatibility with the drive and those chipsets… it’s still the drive at fault. The original PLDS (was from an Dell) drive in there worked flawlessly and the BH10LS30 works just fine now, proving that the rest of the hardware and software aren’t at fault.

Hi,

before I answer that I need to know which [B]206[/B] drive you have…

It was a BDR-206BK, at least according to the website of the store.

206Mbk or 206Dbk?

[QUOTE=chef;2580487]206Mbk or 206Dbk?[/QUOTE] Since I don’t have the drive any more, I couldn’t tell you. Here’s a link to the page with it, that’s best I can do: http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=3_54&item_id=035555

But, since it seems to boil down to two types, please enlighten us as to the reason that either one of those could conflict so badly with both my systems to as produce the symptoms described in my original posts. :bow:

I need some help as well…

I’m using the Pioneer BDR-206DBK (FW 1.05) tried IDE, but switched back to AHCI, bought from NewEgg back in Feb, to date I’ve had no problems, but now, every retail BD50 bluray movie I’m trying to rip, seems to be locked @ 2.0x.

BD25’s rip @ full speed, dvd’s all rip @ full speed, please help.

I’m using AnyDVD HD, to decode & ImgBurn to rip, if that makes any difference.

I can confirm the problem the OP was having. I just bought a Pioneer BDR-206DBK and love how quiet it is (during seeking, idle, and even high I/O (32x and higher)).

However, its audio CD ripping capabilities – specifically the inconsistent speed – are pathetic. My Pioneer DVR-212D beats it hands down. However, my DVR-212D has problem ripping some audio CDs (drive completely locks up hard the instant the CD info section or TOC is read; I briefly touch base on this on a different forum), and the other brands I tried (Sony OptiArc, Lite-On, etc.) all used ball bearings which are loud as hell.

To expand on what I mean by “audio CD ripping capabilities are pathetic” – the rip speed on discs is, about 80% of the time, at 4x. It gets up to 6x only on occasion. However, some discs rip from the start at 32x and make it up to 40x. These same audio CDs (they’re commercial/pressed, not CD-Rs or anything) rip fast and quick with my DVR-212D.

I have other issues with the BDR-206DBK too. For example, about 1 out of every 15 disc ejects gets completely ignored by the drive. Manual eject (pressing the button on the drive) works fine, but software eject randomly does not work. This reeks of a firmware bug (almost like an ATAPI packet is being ignored).

Finally, a sporadic issue I see with some discs (regardless if they rip fast or not) is that the very first track IMMEDIATELY returns an error when reading a random LBA; rippers move on to the next track which works. If I stop the rip and re-rip track 1, it works fine. Again, this reeks of a firmware bug.

My BDR-206DBK uses the latest stock firmware (1.05; same firmware it came with).

I’m using dBpoweramp for ripping.

Here’s the comparison I did between my Pioneer DVR-212D and my Pioneer BDR-206DBK. It shows quite obviously the problem at hand. For technical details, please read the header at the top of the web page.

http://www.malkavian.com/~jdc/bdr-206dbk-vs-dvr-212d/

Hope this helps someone – either in their choice to invest in a BDR-206DBK, or someone technical who can figure out what the firmware bug/quirk is and/or how to fix it.

[QUOTE=chef;2577929]The drive was never the problem but your mobo and its chipset/sata controller & setup!

I hope that makes you thinking now.[/QUOTE]

Could you elaborate on this? I just picked up a BDR-206DBK firmware 1.05 and I am getting very inconsistent rips as well. Some disks appear fine when I test them in Opti Drive Control, but others (DVD and Blu Ray) are locked at x2 speeds. I have even had the case where a working disk will lock down to x2 speeds until I take the disk out and put it back in.

How is it connected (mobo and connections) and how is it set up?+

Any update on this issue, now that FW v1.06 is out ?

I guess it might be some hardware issue, so if you do a lot of ripping, better use another drive then. But as I understand it is the only problem with the drive. If you don’t do a lot of ripping, then this issue is not a problem as I take it everything else with the drive is just fine.

I agree with your assessment of the drive. For writing, it does a good enough job with most media. As a ripper, most any other drive would be a better choice. There certainly seems to be a communication issue with the drive. In addition to inconsistent ripping speeds, if I start the Win7 machine that it is running in with 5 other optical drives with all trays open, the other drives will close their trays during boot up, but the Pio just sits there, tray open, lookin’ dumb :). Not a usability issue, but definitely something going on with communication or Pio’s handling of drive commands.