BD Writers and Readers - No Quality Scanning?

vbimport

I have invested in a couple of the new Super Multi Blu Ray drives from LG (one writer and one reader) and i’m really dissapointed to find that neither support Disc quality scanning for use with Nero Drive speed. I just want DVD quality scanning at the moment as I don’t plan to burn BD’s until they stop selling the blanks at rip off prices…

At the moment i’m relying on my trusty NEC 4550a for this feature, but the drive is getting a bit old now and i’m starting to experience media recognition problems with it, this will get worse as newer firmwares are unlikely to be released which will work with newer media…

Ideally I am looking for a BD reader with the disc quality scanning feature but i’m struggling to find one. Failing that a more up to date DVD only burner with this feature might be the way to go.

Any suggestions?

The Lite-On DH-4O1S Blu-ray reader will Quality scan DVD’s.

They go for about $120 US.

[QUOTE=DVD Maniac;2130418]I have invested in a couple of the new Super Multi Blu Ray drives from LG (one writer and one reader) and i’m really dissapointed to find that neither support Disc quality scanning for use with Nero Drive speed. I just want DVD quality scanning at the moment as I don’t plan to burn BD’s until they stop selling the blanks at rip off prices…

At the moment i’m relying on my trusty NEC 4550a for this feature, but the drive is getting a bit old now and i’m starting to experience media recognition problems with it, this will get worse as newer firmwares are unlikely to be released which will work with newer media…

Ideally I am looking for a BD reader with the disc quality scanning feature but i’m struggling to find one. Failing that a more up to date DVD only burner with this feature might be the way to go.

Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the quick reply!

Looks like a good drive to go for, the only drawback is its a reader on all formats. Ideally I would like one which has burning capability for CD and DVD so I have flexibility on my main PC for different media types. Actually I could ditch BD / HD DVD reading capability, most important is Quality scanning plus CD DVD writing.

Its a shame I cant seem to find easy to use comparison sheets which highlight quality sacaning as a desired feature. Any suggestions for an up to date DVD writer I could replace by NEC 4550 with (ideally with SATA interface).

IMO you shouldn’t spend money on new technologies like Blu-ray until you’re actually going to use it, because there will be cheaper better faster drives available. This is the way it has been with other technologies and it will be the same with Blu-ray.

If DVD quality scanning is your main objective, you should get a LiteOn DVD burner. They aren’t good for CD scanning however.

If CD quality scanning is your main objective, I suggest you get an Optiarc 5100/7200/7200 series drive. They can also be used for DVD scanning, but it’s unclear how well they do this. I’m fairly sure an Optiarc 7200S would do better at DVD scanning than a LiteOn DVD burner would do at CD scanning, however.

Or do like many others do - get two or more drives that complement each other well.