BD Writer Failing to Read CD-ROM

vbimport

My BD writer GGW-H20L fails to read data off a printer software installation disc. This disc is readable in my other two drives (iHAS324 and SH-224GB) though. The GGW-H20L drives just clicks away for awhile and then stops, as though it can’t seem to read the disc at all.

I thought there might be a problem with the GGW-H20l drive. But it seems to read other CD’s OK, including another printer installation disc (for a different model printer). So it appears there may be an issue with the one specific printer installation disc(?)

There are no scratches, no scuff marks, and no other marks or unusual toning on this particular (pressed) disc. So there is no obvious sign of the disc being “faulty”.

I don’t recall ever having similar problems before.

Any ideas on why the GGW-H20L drive can’t read this one disc at all??

I thought someone had changed the title and some of the text in my original post; I almost didn’t recognize the thread title after the change!

I believe I know the answer to this issue of the GGW-H20L drive not being able to read this one particular disc (CD-ROM), but it would be nice to get comments from others more knowledgeable.

Thanks.

Did you try creating a disk image as means of verifying readability?

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

OK. An ISO image of the original disc was created via IsoPuzzle and LiteOn drive iHAS324. No errors reported during this process.

The ISO image was then burned to a CD disc using ImgBurn and the iHAS324 drive. Again no errors reported.

The resulting CD disc played back (was successfully read) in the GGW-H20L drive. So the original printer installation disc seems to be the problem (for the GGW-H20L).

Comments?

[QUOTE=meeshu;2785064]OK. An ISO image of the original disc was created via IsoPuzzle and LiteOn drive iHAS324. No errors reported during this process.

The ISO image was then burned to a CD disc using ImgBurn and the iHAS324 drive. Again no errors reported.

The resulting CD disc played back (was successfully read) in the GGW-H20L drive. So the original printer installation disc seems to be the problem (for the GGW-H20L).

Comments?[/QUOTE]

Maybe the original disk have scratches or dust in the surface. Since the readers use distinct PUH ( hardware ) the readability will be affected more ins some models.

[QUOTE=meeshu;2785061]I thought someone had changed the title and some of the text in my original post; I almost didn’t recognize the thread title after the change!

I believe I know the answer to this issue of the GGW-H20L drive not being able to read this one particular disc (CD-ROM), but it would be nice to get comments from others more knowledgeable.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Sorry; got distracted & forgot to send you a PM. :o My apologies.

In any case, my best guess would be similar to what zhadoom said, but there also may be some imperceptible pressing defect that makes the disc out of specification – similar to how some copy protections work, but not intentional.

What are your thoughts?

Comments noted, thanks.

As mentioned previously, I am pretty certain there are no scratches, scuff marks, or any other obviously noticeable defects on the disc. Plus there is no evidence of dust either.

I was thinking that the printer installation disc may be a “weak” pressing; the data on the disc is not properly impressed into the media. This means that it would require drives with “strong” reading lasers in order to read the weak data from the disc.

It is suspected that the GGW-H20L might have a weak (CD) reading laser, which means it would have difficulty in reading weak data from the disc.

Basically, weak data + weak reading laser = reading problems.

I was also thinking that the pressed disc data may be out of alignment or out of (nominal) spec, just enough to cause reading issues in the GGW-H20L which may have its CD reading head slightly misaligned as well(?)

So, misaligned CD data + misaligned reading head = data reading issues.

Or, maybe a combination of both of the above -

Weak and misaligned data + weak and misaligned CD reading head = definite data reading issues.

As mentioned previously, the GGW-H20L seems to read other CD and DVD discs fine (so far), fortunately.