BD ripping

I have a media PC, which isn’t connected to the internet, and I now have some discs that tell me that they require internet connectivity to open. Are they checking for firmware updates, keys or something of the like? Is it safe to connect my PC to the internet to allow the discs to do whatever it is they want to do?

[QUOTE=davesandstorm;2300247]I have a media PC, which isn’t connected to the internet, and I now have some discs that tell me that they require internet connectivity to open. Are they checking for firmware updates, keys or something of the like? Is it safe to connect my PC to the internet to allow the discs to do whatever it is they want to do?[/QUOTE]

If you’re talking Blu-Ray discs, welcome to the world of BD Live!

Some of the content that the discs have available is on the internet, which is why they need the internet connection.

Is it safe to connect? No less safe than for any other reason. And the discs won’t open without it, so I guess it really depends on whether you want to watch the discs or not.

OC

:slight_smile:

Thanks OC, guess I’ll have to bite the bullet and connect my media PC to the internet for a few minutes.

[QUOTE=davesandstorm;2300309]Thanks OC, guess I’ll have to bite the bullet and connect my media PC to the internet for a few minutes.[/QUOTE]

Since you didn’t plan on connecting that rig to the internet hope you have some protection in place on it before connecting it to the net :slight_smile:

Who asked to connect to internet, the movie or the playback software?

In any cases you don’t have to connect to internet in order to watch a Blu-ray, unless you want to see the BD-Live features.

DVD Fab tells me it cannot open the disc without connecting to the internet. All I want to do is rip it to my home network HDDs and store the disc away so not to ruin it and create ease of use when I want to watch them in the future.

[QUOTE=davesandstorm;2300547]DVD Fab tells me it cannot open the disc without connecting to the internet. All I want to do is rip it to my home network HDDs and store the disc away so not to ruin it and create ease of use when I want to watch them in the future.[/QUOTE]

Since you haven’t yet actually stated that these are Blu-Ray discs, I’m starting to get suspicious.

Are these store-bought discs? Which ones are they?

And the message could be a Fab message…Have you turned off the ability of Fab to check for updates for itself? That may be the source of the message.

OC

I made the assumption that since I said BD ripping that people would gather that they were Blu-Ray discs. :wink:

They are indeed all store bought discs. WrestleMania 25, Black Sheep, Major League, Fast and the Furious and 2 Fast 2 Furious all have given me this message. I’m sure there’s yet to be more to come in my stack of discs that I’ve yet to get around to ripping.

I’ll check the FAB updates, but I still think it’s BD Live protection that’s causing it.

I just wanted to check to see what the deal was as I weighed my options on connecting my PC to the internet and signing its death certificate, or just living with a few discs that my children could potentially break.

Connecting to the internet is not a death certificate, as StormJumper stated earlier, if you have the proper precautions ( protections) in place it should not be an issue of great significance, with due diligence you should be fine. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=davesandstorm;2300573]They are indeed all store bought discs. WrestleMania 25, Black Sheep, Major League, Fast and the Furious and 2 Fast 2 Furious all have given me this message. [/QUOTE]Not all of those titles have BD-Live so it must be DVDFab thingy. Maybe checking for keys to break the protection, but for sure not about BD-Live.

[QUOTE=zaina;2300658]Not all of those titles have BD-Live so it must be [B]DVDFab thingy. Maybe checking for keys to break the protection[/B], but for sure not about BD-Live.[/QUOTE]

:wink:

[QUOTE=zaina;2300658]Not all of those titles have BD-Live so it must be DVDFab thingy. Maybe checking for keys to break the protection, but for sure not about BD-Live.[/QUOTE]

Yea…none of the Help Squad here has a lot of experience with Blu-Ray, and Fengtao just came out with the BD Live copy breaker, so we don’t really know what’s involved…maybe you can keep us posted, as we can learn from you, too.

OC