BD Rebuilding - Q6600 or i7?

Possibly looking to do an upgrade on my main pc, currently running an OC’d E6300 @ 3.2 Ghz.

I’m looking to start using BD Rebuilder, ripbot264 and similar do convert BD’s to BD9 or BD25.

Is it worth spending ~£150 on a Q6600 (I’ve got good quality mobo and ram so would be overclocking straight away), or should I be looking for a complete i7 (Would be an i7 920) system (CPU/Ram/Mobo) at ~£500-£600?

Does anybody have any encoding speed comparisons between the two systems?

[QUOTE=jubjubbird;2206076]Possibly looking to do an upgrade on my main pc, currently running an OC’d E6300 @ 3.2 Ghz.?[/QUOTE]
Not bad :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=jubjubbird;2206076]I’m looking to start using BD Rebuilder, ripbot264 and similar do convert BD’s to BD9 or BD25.

Is it worth spending ~£150 on a Q6600 (I’ve got good quality mobo and ram so would be overclocking straight away), or should I be looking for a complete i7 (Would be an i7 920) system (CPU/Ram/Mobo) at ~£500-£600?[/QUOTE]
It is an “unfair” comparsion for me. A Q6600 is a good (and cheap) CPU. From what I read it is possible to overclock this CPU with ~3GHz or a little bit more. For this reason you could have the same CPU speed of your OC E6300 with 4 cores.

The i7 is a complete new architecture. All 4 cores are on one silicon die and not seperated on two dies with two cores each. At the moment the price for RAM and mainboard is too high. The i7 architecture is very interesting and will be the future, that is clear, but at the moment it is better getting a Q9550 or 9650 (the prices dropped a few days ago!) with the needed amount of RAM for less money. And a Q9x50 system is also fast and much cheaper.

In a few month it may have changed and the prices for the components are on a more reasonable level.

[QUOTE=jubjubbird;2206076]Does anybody have any encoding speed comparisons between the two systems?[/QUOTE]
I saw only comparsions between Phenom/ C2Q and the i7 and the lower clocked i7 were mostly a little bit faster than the C2Q.

The link displays a rating list. Scroll it down to see the ratings, the text is in german, sorry for that!

Posted by TM
And a Q9x50 system is also fast and much cheaper.

I agree with TM . Plus the fact that Intel just lowered the prices on the Q9550 and the Q9650. When I bought my Q9550 it was 319.00USD, now you can buy the Q9550 for 269.00 and the Q9650 for about what I paid for the Q9550. No brainer, I have mine in a Gigabyte GAX48DS5 mobo, the Q9550 is stock at 2.83GHZ and I ocd it to 3.4GHZ and it runs as stable as stock. I would not jump on the CoreIE7 bandwagon yet, you need a new motherboard and RAM, where the Q9550 will work with most of the newer socket 775 motherboards and RAM. The socket 775 is not going away for awhile so I think you would be best served with the Q Series. Just my thoughts.

A Q9550 is currently priced at ~£240 here. (somewhere in the region of $350) That’s my issue, that is a similar price for an i7. I don’t really want to be spending that much on something that will be essentially old technology. I’m really stuck on this one.

The $=£ rate has really pushed prices here up as a Q6600 a few months ago was ~£115

Thanks for the input so far :slight_smile:

Here is chart to compare i7 and other quad cores.

If I read it correctly, the i7 920 2.66Ghz is about 50% faster than Q6600 2.4 Ghz in Nero Recode test, both in stock speed I think. You can push Q6600 to 3.0 - 3.4Ghz on air and you will narrow the gap.

I also believe that a fast harddrives are needed for video authoring, especially if you’re dealing with 25-50GB of blu-rays. If you don’t have a RAID setup, at least have 2 harddrives and set the output to a different physical hard drive.

i7 will be faster but is it worth the extra money that an older Core 2 Quad will cost to setup, only you can decide.

Remember, the i7 will need more expensive memory and a more expensive board as well.

I’m sticking with the 775 socket system for a while. I’ve finally got all the other pieces together for a nice encoding machine…just have to choose a quad core processor. Newegg has three that are under $200 right now, including the Q6600, so those are the only ones I’m considering. Won’t buy it till next month though.

[quote=zevia;2206203]
I also believe that a fast harddrives are needed for video authoring, especially if you’re dealing with 25-50GB of blu-rays. If you don’t have a RAID setup, at least have 2 harddrives and set the output to a different physical hard drive.[/quote]

Hard drive not a problem, 2 Western Digital WD6400AAKS 640GB on a RAID stripe, with 1 500GB WD and a Seagate 320GB.
[B]
[/B]

[B]
[/B]

[quote=zevia;2206203]Here is chart to compare i7 and other quad cores.

If I read it correctly, the i7 920 2.66Ghz is about 50% faster than Q6600 2.4 Ghz in Nero Recode test, both in stock speed I think. You can push Q6600 to 3.0 - 3.4Ghz on air and you will narrow the gap.
[/quote]

Looking at the chart, (good spot, thanks) it would seem the already suggested Q9550 seems to be the best bet. I might have to keep my eye out for a drop in price.

SO, if I’m not spending the extra, and do get the Q9550, will a jump from 4 to 8 gig of RAM be worthwhile (Vista x64, don’t worry :))

I love my i7, it screams. If money isn’t holding you back, you won’t be
disappointed.

Edit: The i7 screams to be OC’d as well…so take that into consideration.