BD Rebuilder Guide for Conversion of Blu ray to Other Formats

vbimport

BD Rebuilder is a free program designed primarily to reduce the size of blu ray movies to fit onto single layer BD-R discs. The author, jdobbs, has added some other options for output however, including presets that work with most portables, like iPads and iPods, and also a setting for making dvd-video from blu ray sources.

This guide is designed to show you how to use this free program to convert your blu ray movies into these different formats.

If you haven’t used BD Rebuilder before, I suggest you look at our guide for basic use and setup of the program. That guide can be found here: http://club.myce.com/f142/bd-rebuilder-guide-313227/ It is a bit out of date, but should still work to help you download and set up the program and the necessary auxilliary programs that work with BD Rebuilder. Make certain to run the Inspect.exe file to examine your setup.

BD Rebuilder is not a decrypter or ripping program, so you should use a dedicated decryption program to put your blu ray movie on the hard drive before trying to use BD Rebuilder. I suggest AnyDVD HD, or DVDFab for ripping purposes, but there is one other option, called MakeMKV. Use MakeMKV in backup mode, which rips to the hard drive as files, rather than putting everything in one mkv file. DVDFab has a free section, called DVDFab HD Decrypter, and MakeMKV is free to use as well, as long as it stays in beta status. You can get free beta keys for MakeMKV at their forum.

So now we move on to the controls within BD Rebuilder.

When you start up BD Rebuilder, you should see this screen:

You’ll notice that I have set the Source Path from my ripped blu ray movie and have set the Working Path where the output will be placed. Make certain that you have at least twice as much room in the working path folder as you need for your intended output file, as the temporary files will also be placed there.

Now we click on Mode near the top of the screen. You will see a drop down box that looks like this:

Place a check mark next to Alternate Movie-Only Output. You can have another check mark next to the Movie-Only Output line, but it is not necessary.

The next step is to click on the [B]Alternate Movie-Only Output[/B] line. This will bring up another window that looks like this:

There is a box at the top called [B]Output BD or AVCHD Compliant Structure[/B] that should have a check mark in it under normal encoding procedures, but to activate the alternate outputs, you need to [B]remove[/B] that check mark. For the purposes of this guide, we will be making a 720p movie for the Apple iPad, so I put a check mark in the box next to the line that says [B]iPad MP4 HD, 1280 x 720, 128kbs AAC. [/B] There are a great many options available, so it is best to know the specifications you need for your particular device.

Unless you need a specific target size for the movie, I suggest using the [B]Constant Rate Factor Output (CRF)[/B] setting and leave the figure at 20. If you test this setting and decide you want better quality, change the numerical setting to 18 or 19 and test again. However, 20 should work very well for any portable device.

If you do need a specific size for the video, you can set the encoder to use a two pass encode. This will take longer, and is not inherently superior to a CRF encode, with the exception of better precision in output size. Once you place a check mark in the box next to the [B]Two Pass Target Size (MB)[/B] you can set the exact size you need. There is also an option for [B]Two Pass Bitrate Encoding (Kbs)[/B] which works in a similar way. So the program does offer some finer control if you need it, but the CRF setting should work very well for most.

You can also put a check mark in the box to automatically crop the black borders seen on most blu ray sources.

Once you have these set, click on [B]Save[/B]. You’ll now return to the main window in BD Rebuilder and be ready to start the encoding job. If you wish to begin immediately, click on [B]Start[/B] in the main window.

You can also use BD Rebuilder to encode several movies in succession by adding your project to the Batch queue. Once you have this one in the queue, set up any others you wish to encode. Then run them all at once. To get it into the queue, click on [B]File[/B], then [B]Add Current Project to Batch Queue.[/B]

For most encoding jobs, BD Rebuilder uses the X264 encoder and produces video with the H264 video codec. But it is possible to use this program to make dvd-video. The codec used in dvd-video is mpeg2, and BD Rebuilder can make use of one of the very best free mpeg2 encoders available, called HCenc.

So now we’ll look at how to set up BD Rebuilder to produce dvd-video from your blu ray source.

Open BD Rebuilder to the main window. Now click on [B]Settings–>Setup[/B]. This window will pop up:

On the right side, near the bottom of this window, there is a line that says [B]Assume PAL for DVD Output[/B]. If you live in the US, make certain that there is no check mark in the box next to this line. If you live in a country that uses PAL specifications for dvds, then place a check mark in the box.

The other setting you might want to consider is under Audio Encoding Options. If you intend to compress down to the size necessary to fit onto a single layer dvd, you should probably set the AC3 audio encoding level at [B]192 kbs 2 channel[/B], in order to save as much room as possible for the video.

Now click on [B]Save Changes[/B].

This brings you back to the main window.

Now, as before, click on [B]Mode[/B], then [B]Alternate Movie-Only Output[/B]. This time we place a check mark next to one of the dvd-video options. If you want to reduce the movie to fit onto a single layer dvd, put a check mark next to the DVD-5 line, and if you want to go to a double layer dvd, put the mark next to the DVD-9 line.

Click on [B]Save[/B], which takes you to the main window, and you can hit [B]Start[/B] to begin the encoding.

BD Rebuilder and the HC encoder do an excellent job with the video when converting to dvd-video. The only issues I’ve run into with this process is with the audio. DTS HD MA is a very common format for blu ray audio, and it will occasionally cause problems. But BD Rebuilder is easily the best program I’ve used for conversion of blu ray to dvd-video. Others I’ve tried simply don’t work as well.

So those are the basics when using this program. If you have questions or comments regarding the guide, please feel free to post them in this thread.

Excellent guide Kerry! :clap:

It’s clear, well set out and easy to follow.

Can’t really ask for more than that. :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

I have now read this guide & had read the setup one.
I’m not yet working with blu ray so I hoped its conversion function
would work for conversions from other formats but it didn’t .
It only accepts blu ray as input. I still have it so if I need it the guides are helpful.
The Inspect.exe found eveything OK except for :
HAALI Splitter: [1.11.288.0], not recommended version .
I think I have the latest version & it is working with my current software .
So I will leave it this way until it proves otherwise.
Thanks for the guide Kerry .

[QUOTE=cholla;2631523]I have now read this guide & had read the setup one.
I’m not yet working with blu ray so I hoped its conversion function
would work for conversions from other formats but it didn’t .
It only accepts blu ray as input. I still have it so if I need it the guides are helpful.
The Inspect.exe found eveything OK except for :
HAALI Splitter: [1.11.288.0], not recommended version .
I think I have the latest version & it is working with my current software .
So I will leave it this way until it proves otherwise.
Thanks for the guide Kerry .[/QUOTE]

You are advised to use the recommended versions of the assisting softwares, not the necessarily the latest versions. See the Doom9.org forum for DVDRebuilder (BDRebuilder is in that forum too, same developer Jdobbs). Terrific software, I highly recommend it and that you make a donation if you like it.

@ ricoman , I don’t want to hijack Kerry’s guide with to much other discussion .
I like & regularly use DVD Rebuilder .
The Guide for setting DVD Rebuilder up at Doom9.org is very old & out of date.
I know I use later versions of the recommended software & they work correctly.
The guide that is not in the forum doesn’t even use HC Encoder .
The one that is in the forum lists HC Encoder but has nothing on using it.
It was written in 2004.
So Doom9.org would not be my main source for information on DVD Rebuilder.

For BD Rebuilder I would probably start with Kerry’s guides.

You misunderstood me. The BDRebuilder forum on Doom9 is actually in the DVDRebuilder forum. It is updated all of the time and if you ask a question jdobbs himself will usually respond within a day or 2. He monitors it regularly. It is an active forum. Don’t be confused by the website’s main webpage where the news has not been updated since 1/17/11 (that’s right '11). Click “forum” and you’ll find a very active site.
For info on HCEncoder hit Bitburners.com. There really isn’t much to learn, it’s very intuitive.

The author, jdobbs, has continued to work on this program, so I’m adding this update to the guide. The current version is 0.42.01, as of September 20th, 2012.

In this updated version, BD Rebuilder now lets you import other types of video, so you are not restricted to blu ray sources. You can use mp4, avi, mkv or even dvd-video as your starting point.

To import one of these types of video into the program, click on File–>Import–>then select the correct type for your original movie files. Here is a screenshot illustrating this process:

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2655566]In this updated version, BD Rebuilder now lets you import other types of video, so you are not restricted to blu ray sources. You can use mp4, avi, mkv or even dvd-video as your starting point.[/QUOTE]Thanks for the heads up Kerry56, that’s fantastic news! :cool: It’s actually something I wished would happen, while thinking it would never happen…

Thank you kerry a very easy to understand tut.:flower:

thnx lol

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2655566]The author, jdobbs, has continued to work on this program, so I’m adding this update to the guide. The current version is 0.42.01, as of September 20th, 2012.

In this updated version, BD Rebuilder now lets you import other types of video, so you are not restricted to blu ray sources. You can use mp4, avi, mkv or even dvd-video as your starting point.

To import one of these types of video into the program, click on File–>Import–>then select the correct type for your original movie files. Here is a screenshot illustrating this process:

[/QUOTE]
I was wondering what these import files were for. Now I now. Thanks.

Thanks for share

Thanks for share

thanks for the guide

Thanks very much for this.

Thanks for the guide!

This guide was very helpful