Bd rebuilder encoder settings

vbimport

Hi Kerry 56, hope you had a great Xmas & I wish you & your family the very best for 2012.

I’m hoping you can give me some yardsticks to follow regarding ENCODER settings for SHRINKING some of my original Blu Rays with BD REBUILDER.

My system is is running Windows 7 Professional with an INTEL®CORE™ 2 DUO PROCESSOR E8400 3.00 GHZ-6 MB CACHE at 1333 MHZ with 8GB of CRUCIAL DDR3 DUAL CHANNEL MEMORY. My MOTHERBOARD is an ASUS P5QC and my GRAPHICS Card is a GEFORCE 9800GT with 512 MG of GDDR3.

What do U suggest for ENCODER settings in BD REBUIDER when my Blu Rays need very little compression–say 24 to 28 or 30 GB.

I tried" NORMAL PRIOITY" with the" AUTOMATIC QUALITY" SETTINGS on ALIENS which has about 26 VIDEO files to REENCODE., about 32 GB to COMPRESS. I didn’t monitor the CPU Usage or TEMPERATURE running this but the both times I tried it this way, the computer rebooted on its own . I’m not sure why, an unexpected SHUTDOWN occurred it said aftere I rebooted.

I decided then to try it with the ENCODER settings set to NORMAL PRIORITY(I wasn’t planning on using it while this process was working), HIGH QUALITY (DEFAULT) and ONE PASS (ABR) ENCODING. It took about 12 hours to process ALIENS with 26 VIDEO Files to REENCODE. However the computer stayed running, & did not reboot. It worked fine .
I wonder why it worked at this setting but not at the AUTOMATIC QUALITY Setting I tried firstly. I wonder if I got as good a QUALITY VIDEO!!! What do U think?

I am using an HD 2 TB 7200 RPM SATA lll HARD DRIVE to store the DVD FAB BLU RAY FILES as well as the BDREBUILDER OUTPUT ones.

Is this a Good Setting for the ENCODER in BDREBUILDER for Files over 30 GB?

I understand that the CPU is being taxed quite heavily while this process is working. I use an ASUS PROBE UTILITY that MONITORS MB & CPU TEMPERATURE and FAN SPEEDS on the Case, Power Supply & CPU. The CPU TEMP runs about 38-41` DEGREES while BD REBUILDER is Processing. Is this normal?

Can U enlighten me on any of my comments. It would be greatly appreciated.

If U choose to answer me by way of a THREAD in your FORUMS, that is quite allright.

Many Thanks, Friend

PWANJO ( Wayne)

I don’t know why your computer rebooted with the first settings. The High Quality setting wouldn’t run in a less stressful way. Your dual core machine is going to be running pretty much flat out when encoding high definition video. And its going to be doing it for many hours on end, as you have noted.

You might want to monitor it every time you do any video encoding. And you should probably run a memory test to see if you have any issues there. Windows Memory Diagnostic is one free program for this, but Memtest86 + is more widely used by computer enthusiasts.

If you don’t have too much compression to apply, and you are shooting for a 25gb target, I’d use either the High Speed (BD-25) option or the one pass CRF option. Your output size is going to be around 23.3gb, so use these settings when your original size is 30gb or less. When you set it to Automatic, the program tends to pick one of the fast encodes, and you were probably using the Good, 1 pass ABR setting. And I always keep the program in Idle Priority.

You should realize that the tests I’ve seen using the X264 encoder show a marked improvement in quality using a two pass encode. But you have to examine individual frames to see this most of the time. If you’re going to the trouble of reencoding HD video, you might as well get good quality results, which is the rationale for using 2 pass encodes, but depending on the size of your screen, you may never be able to tell the difference between a 1 pass CRF and a High Quality 2 Pass while the movie is playing. The biggest problem with the two pass encode is that it takes longer, and with your dual core, this may tie up your machine for a [B]very [/B]long time.

You can speed up the process a little bit by using two different hard drives…one for the source and one for the target. And you’ll need two different physical drives, not just partitions on one.

Once you get over 30gb on the original file, you might want to consider doing a two pass High Quality encode. See how long it takes on your machine.

The X264 encoder can make good use of extra cpu cores, so upgrading to a quad core machine makes sense if you are going to be doing a lot of these encodes. That will be the biggest jump you can make in encoding times.

The temperatures you were seeing were actually pretty good for full speed video encoding, so it makes me think the shutdowns were not temperature related.

One other thing I forgot to mention. If you are doing movie only backups and don’t care about menus or extras, you can often times use ClownBD to extract the main movie and one audio track and fit these onto a 25gb disk without having to do any compression at all. This is so much faster, there is no comparison. And you get the original quality.

The size of the main movie varies a lot of course, so you’d have to check the size with BDInfo before starting with ClownBD. Many would be too large, even when doing main movie only, so you’d need to run those through BD Rebuilder.

I am doing Main Movie only when I use DVDFAB CECRYPTER so the sizes I’m talking about are Movie Only with the High End Audio file. You mention about using IDLE PRIORITY all the time. However, if I run this through the nite wouldn’t it be better to set ENCODER to NORMAL PRIORITY, it would be a little faster , would it not?

Also is your MEMTEST86+ difficult for me to use to test my CRUCIAL MEMORY? I downloaded the file as a ZIP ISO & burned it to a disk but I can’t seem to get it to run. Any suggestions?

Many Thanks, Kerry.

No, running in Idle priority will not be slower. But if you have a process that starts by itself, like an automatic update or an antivirus scan, those programs will have priority over the encoder. They also won’t stall out and crash.

The problem with Windows updates is that they sometimes do an automatic reboot…which shuts down the encoding job. BD Rebuilder can start up where it left off, but it won’t do this by itself once the computer reboots. Moral of the story, don’t do encoding jobs on the night of the second Tuesday of the month. Or turn off Windows update temporarily.

Did you unzip the ISO before burning to the disk? Had to ask. Once unzipped, use ImgBurn to burn to the disk.

Your boot order must be set to look for the optical drive first. You need to check this in the bios of the computer. Once you have made certain of this, you put the disk in the drive and reboot. It should start Memtest86+ automatically and will not shut down by itself. You’ll have to stop the test manually. Most people let it run overnight. You should see NO errors in the test whatsoever.

Thanks Kerry for your reply. I still need a little help. Let’s say,[B] “over 30 GB”[/B] for rhe original BluRay file. You set the ENCODER SETTINGS for IDLE PRIORITY[B]" BUT"[/B] which setting do U use for the High Quality Encode? Is it, in fact, the[B] HIGH QUALITY (DEFAULT) Setting?[/B] I assume this should give U a TWO PASS HIGH QUALITY ENCODE. This, I assume should give U the BEST QUALITY, Right?

Also, YES I UNZIPPED the ISO and then BURNED a Disk for the MEMTEST 86+. Please refresh my Memory as to how to get into the BIOS to set the Boot Order for the Optical Drive I will be using for my newly created Disc. Did I understand correctly that once this Boot Order is set I will REBOOT my Computer with the MEMTEST 86+ Disc in the Designated Drive and the Memory Test should start.

I assume that after the Test I would go back into the BIOS and reset the BOOT ORDER back to where it was. Is that usually One of my Internal Hard Drives?

I would very much appreciate your reply. THANKS!!!

As long as you do not have a check mark next to one of the 1 pass options (ABR or CRF) and you [B]do[/B] have a check mark next to the High Quality setting, you will get a two pass encode at this default high quality preset.

To get into the bios, you normally hit the Del button as you boot up the machine. You may have to click this several times to get it done.

Once in the bios, you change the boot order to look for the optical drive first, then the hard drive. You save the changes and exit. If your Memtest disk is in the optical drive, when you exit the bios, the computer will reboot and find the Memtest disk and run it automatically.

You don’t have to reset the boot order back to the hard drive unless you just want to. The machine will look for a bootable disk in the optical drive every time, fail to find one most of the time since we don’t normally boot from the optical disk often, then go to the next option in the boot order which should be your hard drive. This slows down the boot slightly, so if that bothers you, you can change it back.

Hi Kerry, I can’t seem to get the MEMTEST86+ to kick in. I’ve burned 3 different discs & even tried the USB Version on a Zip Drive & no way will it work. When I check the Burned MEMTEST86+ disc it has 1 File folder called BOOT a nd a READ ME file. When I open the BOOT folder it has a BOOT (Security Catalog)-2 KB and a MEMTEST86+ IMAGE FILE --14440KB. I feel ceretain I have the Particular Optical Drive selected as the BOOT and when that Drive was highlighted in the Boot Sequence I hit F10 and Saved & Exited. I had the MEMTEST disc in the drive I saved as the Boot drive. However the computer loaded Windows 7 Pro like Normal. I went back & restarted the Computer with the MEMTEST Disc in the optical Drive & it still loaded normally.

Can U help me? Maybe just Highlighting the optical drive in the BOOT Area & Saving it is not correct. When you fist check the boot Sequence the Interenal Hard Drives are listed first. Do U physically have to put the optical drive at the topfof the list & How?

Also, when I was going to use BDREBUILDER to Compress my INDEPENDENCE DAY BluRAy(About 34 GB.) the only way it would work without REBOOTING was to set the ENCODER SETTINGS to NORMAL PRIORITY, HIGH QUALITY(Default) and 1 PASS (ABR) ENCODING. It took around 11 hours but it DID NOT REBOOT.

I had tried it with what you suggested(as it was over 30 GB) set at IDLE PRIORITY, & HIGH QUALITY(Default) for your 2 pass Compression but the computer REBOOTED after about 20 minutes as I remember. Do U just Check IDLE PRIORITY[B] only [/B]or do U check HIGH QUALITY as well for the 2 Pass?

I 'm baffled. As I remeber it used to work set on the Automatic setting and either Idle or Normal. The only thing I’ve done lately is put a couple of my Hunting Games on the system but they are not running when I do the BDREBUIDER Compression.

I would appreciate a reply, I sure would like to do a Memory Test but I’ve monitoreed the Temp and it runs from 38 to 44 degrees Celsius. That doesn’t seem to me to be HIGH and it still worked on my settings.

Do you have another bootable disk? Like a Windows operating system disk? Or an Ultimate Boot CD? http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html

See if either will start up when you reboot the computer. If so, you have set the boot order correctly, if not, then you haven’t.

Normally there is a section in the bios where you can set boot order, and you highlight the drive you want in the bios as first boot, then click enter to set it. But controls in bios may differ a bit, so I’d have to see yours to know for certain.

The computer should not reboot with a 2 pass encode. You have something screwed up somewhere, but I can’t do anything but speculate from long distance. Will the program run with a 1 pass CRF setting? Are there any log files showing the error when the program shuts down?

Idle priority/Normal priority has nothing to do with making a two pass encode. It just tells the computer if other programs can take precedence if necessary. To set the program to a 2 pass encode the next time, try Normal priority, no check marks in either of the 1-pass options, and a check mark next to High quality.

Thanks for the quick reply. I have a Windows 7 Professional Backup Original disk with Service Pack 1, would I try that? If not, could I download an Ultimate Boot CD file from their site & make a Bootable CD?

I would like to send the results of some shutdowns BUT when I try to UPLOAD the Word Documents-docx. it says they are invalid files, how come?

[QUOTE=PWANJO;2619509]Thanks for the quick reply. I have a Windows 7 Professional Backup Original disk with Service Pack 1, would I try that? If not, could I download an Ultimate Boot CD file from their site & make a Bootable CD?

I would like to send the results of some shutdowns BUT when I try to UPLOAD the Word Documents-docx. it says they are invalid files, how come?[/QUOTE]

You can try either the backup disk or make an Ultimate Boot cd. The UBCD has Memtest86+ on it.

docx is not a supported file type for attachments here at MyCE.

Thanks Kerry but I finally went into the BIOS one more time & went to Priority Boot & set it for one of my optical drives & sure enough on Boot Up the MemTest86+ program started but it only went to Pasas 6% witha Wall Time of 2:42 then it stopped. It seemed to hang up. Should I have left it & waited to see if it would start again? I hit ESC on the Keyboard but nothing happened. I thren restarted tere computer and ran it again. This time it stopped at Wall Time of 2:15. The third time was less than that 1:42. It did not show any errors & the 8 GB of Crucial Memory was shown on the screen with its exact code numbers & letters.

Can you tell me what is going on?

Her are three of the reults of UNEXPECTED SHUTDOWN while running BDREBUILDER. I’m sending them in PDF format which should agree with MYCE.

Hope you can help.

UNEXPECTED SHUTDOWN_3_JAN_18_2012.pdf (167 KB)

UNEXPECTED SHUTDOWN-JANUARY 18 2012.pdf (167 KB)

Problem signature-COMPUTER SHUTDOWN ON ITS OWN_JAN12 2012.pdf (166 KB)

[QUOTE=PWANJO;2619520]Her are three of the reults of UNEXPECTED SHUTDOWN while running BDREBUILDER. I’m sending them in PDF format which should agree with MYCE.

Hope you can help.[/QUOTE]

You can use Fastone capture to grab a screenshot and save as .png file for easiest posting. Grab version 5.3, the last free one. Start the program, click on the dotted rectangle icon, bring your cursor to one corner of the area you wish to save, click, move the cursor to the opposite corner, click, save the capture as .png after adding any text/highlights/drawings from the editor.
You will likely find more info in the .xml file mentioned in the crash report.

In the first pdf file, you have two errors I was able to identify. 0000000000041287 is a memory management error, and 0000000000000080 is a generic hardware failure.

But I am NOT an expert on reading error codes!!! You should talk to the people in the Win7 forums: http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-debugging/

My guess with your intermittent crashes is that you have memory issues. I’ve never seen Memtest86+ crash or freeze, so that’s a new one for me. I would think there is something severely wrong with the memory chips, or the motherboard, because this is NOT a software issue when Memtest freezes up. Memtest runs outside of the Windows environment.

Hi Kerry 56, deanwitty. I eventually called the CRUCIAL Memory techs and explained the problem. They asked me to test one stick of Memory at a trime in the same slot and then the other slot for both with Memtest 86+. To my amazement, the individual sticks passed the Memtest with flying colours, BUT not when the pair were both inserted as a matched set.

The Crucial techs gave me some Memory Timing items to check. They were called asa follows:

TCL, TRCD,TRP and TRAS along with the COMMAND RATE. These were all greek to me and when I went into the ASUS BIOS, these items didn’t show as they indicated.

I, however, found an article on Memory Timing which proved to be very informative. I found that TCL was CASH LATENCY; TRCD was RASH TO CASH DELAY; TRP was RASH PRECHARGE DELAY; and TRAS was ACTIVATE TO PRECHARGE.

Now I was able to look at the ASUS BIOS and see what the AUTO settings were that had been preset by the ASUS MOTHERBOARD. CRUCIAL had told me that sometimes the Motherboard’s AUTO settings were sometimes not the IDEAL settings for the DDR3 RAM. Sure enough, the TRAS was set to 24 when CRUCIAL wanted it set to 28 for Maximum Performance. I was able to go in & change the AUTO settings to MANUAL and set all manually with the change to 28 from 24 for the TRAS. Also they asked me to make sure the COMMAND RATE was set to 2T not 1T or AUTO.

ASUS also suggested for the RENCODING work I should set the AI CLOCK TWISTER to STRONG or STRONGER, not AUTO which I did. This Accelerates DRAM Performance according to ASUS. Also, I was told it was safe to bump up the DRAM VOLTAGE to 1.54 from 1.50.

Then when I tried the MEMTEST 86+, the 2 Memory Sticks worked fine in unison and when I subjected the Memory to Dual Pass REENCODING in BD REBUILDER, it worked fine & I have NOT had an UNEXPECTED SHUTDOWN since.

In the process I learned a lot about Memory Timing and my ASUS Motherboard as well as the DDR 3 RAM.

Thank you for your (always willingness to help), I just thought I would let U know how it all worked out.

[QUOTE=PWANJO;2621896]Thank you for your (always willingness to help), I just thought I would let U know how it all worked out.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for sharing your information on these memory timings. It might help others in the future.

I was glad that when I bought my new PC a few years ago, I could get rid of Memtest86+ memory errors by just updating the BIOS.

Excellent. My computer troubleshooting mantra is “Its always the memory…Its always the memory…” :). Of course its not, but I have wasted too much time too often when I forget this. My thanks also for sharing your solution :flower:.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2619162]I don’t know why your computer rebooted with the first settings. The High Quality setting wouldn’t run in a less stressful way. Your dual core machine is going to be running pretty much flat out when encoding high definition video. And its going to be doing it for many hours on end, as you have noted.

You might want to monitor it every time you do any video encoding. And you should probably run a memory test to see if you have any issues there. Windows Memory Diagnostic is one free program for this, but Memtest86 + is more widely used by computer enthusiasts.

If you don’t have too much compression to apply, and you are shooting for a 25gb target, I’d use either the High Speed (BD-25) option or the one pass CRF option. Your output size is going to be around 23.3gb, so use these settings when your original size is 30gb or less. When you set it to Automatic, the program tends to pick one of the fast encodes, and you were probably using the Good, 1 pass ABR setting. And I always keep the program in Idle Priority.

You should realize that the tests I’ve seen using the X264 encoder show a marked improvement in quality using a two pass encode. But you have to examine individual frames to see this most of the time. If you’re going to the trouble of reencoding HD video, you might as well get good quality results, which is the rationale for using 2 pass encodes, but depending on the size of your screen, you may never be able to tell the difference between a 1 pass CRF and a High Quality 2 Pass while the movie is playing. The biggest problem with the two pass encode is that it takes longer, and with your dual core, this may tie up your machine for a [B]very [/B]long time.

You can speed up the process a little bit by using two different hard drives…one for the source and one for the target. And you’ll need two different physical drives, not just partitions on one.

Once you get over 30gb on the original file, you might want to consider doing a two pass High Quality encode. See how long it takes on your machine.

The X264 encoder can make good use of extra cpu cores, so upgrading to a quad core machine makes sense if you are going to be doing a lot of these encodes. That will be the biggest jump you can make in encoding times.

The temperatures you were seeing were actually pretty good for full speed video encoding, so it makes me think the shutdowns were not temperature related.[/QUOTE]

I would appreciate your expert input here. I have a quad core Xeon workstation I use for encoding and I do my backups on BD-R 25 GB to play back on a 115" screen. My encoder setting on BD-Rebuilder is to auto, one pass ABR. Do you recommend any encoder setting changes ? What is the benefit of going with CRF vs ABR for BD-25 backup ?

@dvdit

According to jdobbs, BD Rebuilder in ABR mode uses the output size as the main factor in encoding. There is only one pass with ABR mode, and it is generally inferior to the two pass mode in determining size and areas of the movie that require more (or less) bitrate.

CRF will try to use a preset “quality” setting as the primary guide in encoding without regard to output size. If you have a predetermined output size plus CRF, BD Rebuilder will try to predict the output size by sampling the input with several different quality values.

Since you are using such a large screen for playback, I’d switch to two pass encodes using the High setting personally, but only if you are willing to let the encodes run for much longer. The author, jdobbs, generally recommends using Automatic, saying that the program will determine the best encoding method for you, but I’ve found that it picks the ABR Good quality setting far too often for my taste when put on Automatic. That is the fastest setting, and makes too many compromises in quality for me. The details in the movie will be softer.