BD-RE DL vs DVD+RW DL

Why are there Blu-Ray burners which can burn Dual Layer Rewriteble Blu-Ray discs, while there’s no burner (nor media!) which can burn DVD±RW DL?

The principle is the same right? Both Dual Layer and Rewritable.

In my opinion there would be more use for DVD±RW DL discs than for BD-RE DL? DVD±RW DL you can use for burning movies and serie dvd’s, which most of the time are bigger than 4.7Gb and you could just use it as back-up/storage. While BR-RE DL only is usefull for back-up/storage, and who needs at this moment 50Gb rewritable discs?

Of course I don’t mind that there are 50Gb rewritbale discs (will probably buy them within 6 months myself) but I find it strange there’s no DVD±RW DL media or burner?

Any idea why not? :confused:

Namoh, likes movies and series, but doesn’t like too shrink them or burn them on 2 discs.

Here is the media
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/dvd-rw-dl-media-sale-223533/

Development of DVD+RW DL and DVD-RW DL was dropped because it was impossible to make the formats compatible with older readers/players - the reflectivity was simply too low.

See question #14 in the following interview:

http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Community-QA-with-Torsten-Leye-of-Verbatim/

Okay, so we’ve seen a picture of DVD-RW DL discs, but I can make such a picture for any type of disc (16x BD-RE DL, 12x HD DVD) within 10 minutes. :iagree: :wink:

Have those discs ever really been found in stores?

But wouldn’t the same problem of the reflectivity pop up with Blu-Ray? :confused:

[QUOTE=Namoh;2288140]But wouldn’t the same problem of the reflectivity pop up with Blu-Ray? :confused:[/QUOTE] Possibly but I’m not familiar with the reflectivity specifications for Blu-ray media and players.

[QUOTE=Namoh;2288140]Okay, so we’ve seen a picture of DVD-RW DL discs, but I can make such a picture for any type of disc (16x BD-RE DL, 12x HD DVD) within 10 minutes. :iagree: ;)[/QUOTE]

Have those discs ever really been found in stores?

JVC was offering DVD-RW DL media for a short on their web site. MKM also made some working test samples but they were never sold.
BTW: Samsung SH-S223F should support reading and writing on such media.

[QUOTE=Namoh;2288140]But wouldn’t the same problem of the reflectivity pop up with Blu-Ray? :confused:[/QUOTE]
Almost all blu-ray device were designed with BD-RE DL in the mind and they should have no problems with the low reflectivity of this media type.
The DVD-RW DL format came too late and 99,9% of existing DVD players and drives would not handle to read any RW DL media because of very low reflectivity of the second recording layer.

[QUOTE=pepst;2288149]
JVC was offering DVD-RW DL media for a short on their web site. MKM also made some working test samples but they were never sold.
BTW: Samsung SH-S223F should support reading and writing on such media.
[/QUOTE]

The Samsung SH-S223F I still can find/buy. :clap:
Are their any other DVD burners which can burn DVD-RW DL or DVD+RW DL?

Is their somewhere an overview of drives (on the internet) with the formats they support? I remember I’ve seen something like this. (maybe a good idea to create this by CDFreaks, the information is available!, just a table with on the vertical side the burners listed on the horizontal side the formats listed and where they come together the speed the format could be burned on is mentioned or a “-” if the format is not supported?)

Is there any chance I’ll find the media somewhere?

*Namoh, likes to play with exotic media. :iagree:

223F does support DVD+RW DL, according to the firmware

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f105/sh-s223f-supports-dvd-rw-dual-layer-new-fm-256118/

[QUOTE=nekrosoft13;2289251]223F does support DVD+RW DL, according to the firmware

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f105/sh-s223f-supports-dvd-rw-dual-layer-new-fm-256118/[/QUOTE]

Nice, now only try to find the media. :rolleyes:

But there’s nowhere a comparison chart like I mentioned in my earlier post?

Send email to JVC about where to find the media, let see if I get a satisfying answer. :iagree: