BD-RE DL (50GB) Playback on PS3

vbimport

Hello everyone. I have been searching all over this forum and others and cannot seem to find any solutions to my problem. I am trying to burn a full bd rip to a BD-RE DL disc and have it work in my ps3. All the bd-re dl discs i have tried work fine in my PC using powerdvd but i get no luck on the ps3.

I am using the LG GBW-H20 burner with its original firmware and i am contemplating cross flashing to the GGW firmware to see if that would fix my problems, but i would like to avoid that if possible. I’m not sure what implications cross flashing would have if LG ever decided to provide firmware for the gbw?

The original disc i tried with was a TDK BD-RE DL disc

Unique Disc Identifier : [BD-RE-DL:TDKBLD-Wfa-000]

Disc Type : [BD-RE DL : Class 0 - Version 2]
Manufacturer Name : [Manufacturer Not Found In Database]
Manufacturer ID : [TDKBLD]
Media Type ID : [Wfa]
Product Revision : [000]
Stamper Date : [Not Present On Disc]
Layer Info : [2 Layers (L0-L1) : 25.03 GB (23.31 GiB) Per Layer]
Blank Disc Capacity : [24,438,784 Sectors = 50.05 GB (46.61 GiB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x , 2x]

[ DVD Identifier V5.0.1 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

After doing some reading i was lead to believe that perhaps some TDK discs just wont work on the ps3, so i purchased a Sony BD-RE DL version 2.1 disc.

Unique Disc Identifier : [BD-RE-DL:MEI-T01-001]

Disc Type : [BD-RE DL : Class 0 - Version 2]
Manufacturer Name : [Matsushita Electric Industrial Co. Ltd.]
Manufacturer ID : [MEI]
Media Type ID : [T01]
Product Revision : [001]
Stamper Date : [December 2005]
Layer Info : [2 Layers (L0-L1) : 25.03 GB (23.31 GiB) Per Layer]
Blank Disc Capacity : [24,438,784 Sectors = 50.05 GB (46.61 GiB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x , 2x]

[ DVD Identifier V5.0.1 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

The TDK disc was recognized in the ps3(60gb model, most up to date firmware by the way) video menu. But when i try to play it just goes to a black screen and whenever i try do anything it claims i cannot do that operation. The sony disc is not even recognized by the ps3 and i cannot see it in the video menu. I have tried burning this with various programs(nero, imgburn, power2go). I have tried burning 2 seperate movies, one an iso, the other i tried burning the bdmv and certificate folders using UDF 2.5. Also, all of my bd-r single layer burns have worked well so far.

Has anyone had success burning full bd-re dl movies and having them play in the ps3? If so could you explain your method and hardware/software/media?

Thanks in advance for any help

I have exactly the same issue. Using ImgBurn and GGW-H20L YL05.

I tried backing up The Dark Night on Sony BD-R DL (MEI-T01-001) and it went fine, plays on PS3 no problem. Iron Man on MEI-T01-001 BD-RE DL 50GB is also success no problem on PS3.

The problem occurred when I tried Transformers on Sony BD-RE DL (MEI-T01-001) shows exactly as the first poster. When insert the BD-RE DL disc in PS3, the PS3 XMB will show Transformers thumbnail and then screen blanks as if goes into the menu, then on the top right corner there’s the busy icon but screen stays blank. Pressing skip or FF won’t do anything. Pressing ‘info’ will show chapter 0 and track 0 and the bar didn’t move.

I re-burn to TDK BD-RE DL (TKDBLD-Wfa-000) and still a problem as above.

Since it was success on IronMan and the Dark Night, my best guess is that there’s no compatibility problem with the media (MEI-T01-001 or the TDK) and PS3 or ImgBurn, but I think it has to do with AnyDVD HD settings (Not sure!).

When ripping to harddrive I did not remove Blu-ray Region Code and thus not disable BD-Live but I will try to disable region code and bd-live in next attempt.

After a few more attempts changing burning settings(multisesson + finalize stuff) i have got a movie to load and play for about 2-3 min before it craps out. Anyone able to successfully burn and watch a full dual layer blu ray movie?

Got a Verbatim BD-RE disc that I’ve used many times in the PS3 (burnt with ImgBurn). I always use Verbatim discs - never had any luck with cheaper TDK and Sony DVDs either!

Is it a dual layer verbatim? I have had great success with TDK single layer BD-R and also success with verbatim single layer BD-RE.

I have TDK, Fuji, Panasonic single layer BD-RE disks and all work perfectly on PS3.

I found out yesterday that if the file system isn’t UDF 2.5, the PS3 doesn’t like it. I accidentally burned a disc using a older UDF file system and the PS3 choked. You might want to check that setting before burning.

Well, Verbatim announced their 50GB line BD-RE DL just a few weeks ago and it’s not available to the global market yet. Also according to MCSE, all LG blu-ray drives have only two supported BD-RE DL media:

• MEI-T01-000 (by Matushita/Panasonic)
  • TDKBLD-Wfa-000 (by TDK)

I’ve also similar problem with ggpr. I own several 50GB BD-RE DL with MID MEI-T01-001, a few works on PS3 and some others don’t. The same with 50GB RE DL with MID TDKBLD-Wfa-000. My guesstimate is there are some problems with the 50GB Rewriteable discs.

The other thread mentioned that his 60GB PS3 can’t read BD-RE DL 50GB while an 80GB PS3 can.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f142/lg-gbw-h20l-ps3-playback-problem-263249/

I have a PS3 60GB version with the latest update as of 6/21/09.

USing a Sony BD-RE DL (MEI-T01-001) its got ‘version 2.1’ stamped on the disc.

Ripped Valkyrie and The International with AnyDVD 6.5.5.9 to HDD; disabled BD Live and REgion code on the rip.

Created image (UDF 2.5) with ImgBurn 2.4.4.0 for each first, and then burned the image on a GBW-H20L cross flashed to GGW-H20L YL05.

Both played all the way through fine on the PS3 will full navigation, sound, subs, etc.

Z

I just bought a 3-pack TDK BD-RE DL with Disc ID: TDKBLD-Wfa-000. Burned fast and the furious and coraline backup iso’s with UDF 2.5.

Inserted in the old PS3 (60GB) with latest firmware and the unit doesn’t detect anything inserted I have no problems with a BD-RE SL. Is it because of the media used or because the latest firmware of PS3 doesn’t allow playback of BD-RE DL?

I’m running the latest firmware, and I can play back BD-RE 50s (Sony branded) without a problem on my launch PS3.

[QUOTE=Doctor_T;2429112]I’m running the latest firmware, and I can play back BD-RE 50s (Sony branded) without a problem on my launch PS3.[/QUOTE]

What version is your PS3?

[QUOTE=kevindd992002;2427054]I just bought a 3-pack TDK BD-RE DL with Disc ID: TDKBLD-Wfa-000. Burned fast and the furious and coraline backup iso’s with UDF 2.5.

Inserted in the old PS3 (60GB) with latest firmware and the unit doesn’t detect anything inserted I have no problems with a BD-RE SL. Is it because of the media used or because the latest firmware of PS3 doesn’t allow playback of BD-RE DL?[/QUOTE]
As stated before, the problem is a combination of bad compatibility of TDK BD-RE DL and PS3. You want to avoid using TDK BD-RE DL, try Sony or Panasonic BD-RE DL. THey should have ID of MEI-T01 which would be higher compatibility with PS3 and other players (but still not 100% in my experience). Anyway once you found a Sony or Panasonic then you can test your burn on them and after you’re confident with your method I suggest you burn to BD-R DL (not RE).