BD-RE benchmarking with ATTO, CrystalDiskMark, etc

vbimport

As BD-RE can be formatted for direct read/write access like a flash drive, I decided for curiosity to run a few benchmarks on a BD-RE, in this case a Verbatim 25GB 2x BD-RE using an LG BH10LS30. It’s commonplace to see benchmarks carried out on USB flash drives, external hard disks, NAS network drives and so on, so I thought, why not benchmark a UDF-formatted BD-RE? :slight_smile:

ATTO first threw up a message saying to change the starting sector size to 2KB and then ran the benchmark:

CrystalDiskMark didn’t show the Blu-ray drive letter, but after figuring out a workaround, this is its result:

I’m curious to try out some file read/write tests, but just looking at these two benchmarks, direct read/write access appears to be extremely slow even when compared to slowest USB flash drives available.

For curiosity, I decided to see how well BD-RE does with a single file copy of a reasonably large file, a 618MB file from the BBC iPlayer in this case.

This is the state after about 10 minutes of copying:

I’m not sure if this is how slow BD-RE usually is with a Windows file copy, but this is slower than a 4x CD-RW!! As I write this post, it continued to copy at the same pace.

I must try writing a test disc using a traditional method, e.g. burn 20GB or so of data with ImgBurn just to make sure the disc itself is not at fault.

When I had problems with slow writing to UDFS formatted DVDs on Windows 7, I found a hotfix KB975617 that improved performance from [U]very[/U] slow to merely slow. Perhaps it will also improve performance in your case?

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried the update, but it says “The update is not applicable to your computer.” Strange, as I ran the x64 hotfix for Windows 7 and I’m running the 64-bit version of Windows 7.

One thing that did help is changing the file system. I remember being able to format DVD-RAM as FAT32, so I decided to try formatting the BD-RE as FAT32 and the file copy went a lot faster. The following is with a larger file:

I did find it amusing for Windows to warn me that all data on my “Non-removable disk” will be erased when I went to format it. If I wasn’t connecting remotely, I would have ejected the disc to see what message would have popped up next… :bigsmile:

I’ll rerun the above benchmarks later this evening.

[QUOTE=Seán;2605820]Thanks for the suggestion. I tried the update, but it says “The update is not applicable to your computer.” Strange, as I ran the x64 hotfix for Windows 7 and I’m running the 64-bit version of Windows 7.[/QUOTE] I installed it before SP1 was available, so maybe this hotfix became redundant after SP1?