BD-R XL Scanner - does it exist?

vbimport

Is there a consumer, available BD-drive that suports scanning for BD-R XL 100GB media?

A drive that supports both the media and reports raw error rates to OptiDriveControl or DVD Info Pro (or some other available software)?

I’m seriously considering moving some of my back ups to 100GB BDXL discs, but no access to scanning is causing me second thoughts.

Chipset comparisons and differences?

Samsung SE-506CB (slim external drive) is the only widely available scanning drive at the moment. (Also available is SE-506BB and SN-506BB – the SN is slim internal).

LiteOn never supported BDXL (they exited the BD drive market instead).

Consumer versions of LG drives do not support scanning, and I do not expect we will get access to firmware to enable this support.

Good to see you again Halcyon. :flower: Your views on discs & scanning are always interesting.

There is a new Vinpower variant of the LG BH16NS48 which supports scanning - the WH16NS48DQ (WH16NS48DUP-QS). As the basic LG version supports BD-R XL discs, there is a good chance the Vinpower version can scan them.

We won’t know until one falls into the ‘right’ hands, but I suspect the hardware is identical to the standard LG drives and only the contents of the flash memory is different. (As was the case with Vinpower’s special Optiarc AD-5280S variants.)

So far I have only seen it on a few Japanese sites - although interestingly the box says “This drive is manufactured exclusively for the North and South American markets.”

http://yss.la.coocan.jp/wh16ns48dq/wh16ns48dq_top.htm

So, does internal SN-506BB support BDXL scanning or not? I have a chance to order it from another country but I wouldn’t want to waste the money.
Is this overall a good internal drive? How did it fare and how is it different from SE-506CB (aside from being internal)?

P.S.
SN-506BB doesn’t have BD-R XL listed as supported format on the site I want to order from.

Which site did you go to?

There are a few PDFs floating around for both SE and SN 506BB listing TL & QL BDXL media as supported for reading and writing. At least one of Samsung’s various regional sites agrees with those PDFs.

Note: Most interest seems to be on full size desktop drives. That said, I have only seen a few scans from BB drives on the forum. But I haven’t heard any complaints. Maybe it is not as buggy as SE-506CB (which seems to be a super slim version, with incompatible firmware. No internal CB seems to exist.)… Otherwise, BB drives seem unremarkable. But they at least work.

I looked on this site. However, after examining the page I think they’re listing specs for the wrong drive.
I might order it then. Thanks.

Well hold on. If there is a discrepancy, let’s sort it out. I’m going to check the specs for Samsung’s other BDRE drives to try to match them up.

So…I failed to find a model that matches up. Even the 506AB supported BDXL media, according to the Samsung site. So i can assume that you are right; the specs are just very wrong on that particular listing.

Also, I just realized after doing spec comparisons: BB doesn’t have support for M-Disc. CB does have support for M-Disc. I expect M-Disc BD-R to work regardless on the BB even if it lacks a specific strategy (it is similar to many other BD-R types, so a default strategy would likely work), but M-Disc DVD media may not have a strategy & may not work as flawlessly.

Thank you for the effort, I appreciate it.

Based on the results posted here a few years ago, the Samsungs appear to be decent scanners (without jitter reporting) & writers. And the only bug I’m aware of on the ‘CB’ version, although serious, applies only to 2x writing speed on BD-R.

However,[I] I have a nagging feeling that I read somewhere that they can’t scan XL discs.[/I] :confused:

(I may be wrong though. It was a couple of years ago, when XL discs were still extremely rare.)

They also seem to have quite a high drive failure rate, judging by the number sold as non-functioning drives on Ebay & comments on retailer sites. But as with all USB bus-powered drives, that may in part be due to owner ignorance & insufficient power.

Well, Ibex, I wouldn’t distrust your memory.

I’m only going on the basis of search results. I know it’s tough to write to Sony’s in-house 100 GB BDXL disc model (SONY ET2) due to poor early firmware support. I haven’t found many people who acknowledged the existence of Samsung’s slim drives when discussing the use of BDXL media… Or for scanning in general.

So this will all be a great test! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Ibex;2771372]But as with all USB bus-powered drives, that may in part be due to owner ignorance & insufficient power.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps…:bigsmile:
Anyway : http://club.myce.com/f61/state-optical-media-writers-march-2015-a-338479/#post2749340 :wink:

[QUOTE=Albert;2771388]Well, Ibex, I wouldn’t distrust your memory.
[/QUOTE]
That is what Sir Humphrey Appleby would call a [I]‘most courageous decision’[/I]. :wink:

Now where did I put the mouse, it was here a moment ago…

The SE-506CB will indeed burn a 100 GB BDXL. The drive can scan a BDXL burn, [B]HOWEVER[/B] ODC quits with an error as soon as the scan reaches 50 GB. Also, ODC, DVDInfoPro, and BurnPlot won’t properly display the ImgBurn ibg file. DVDInfoPro and BurnPlot report that the burn is only ~ 48 GB; could this be an issue with the ImgBurn ibg file?

[QUOTE=Albert;2771319]Samsung SE-506CB (slim external drive) is the only widely available scanning drive at the moment. (Also available is SE-506BB and SN-506BB – the SN is slim internal).
[/QUOTE]

So as per jadburner’s comments,[B] SE-506SCB can’t currently scan 100 or 128GB BDXL discs[/B] at least in OptiDriveControl 1.70. However, if it can do 50GB DL, it’s still interesting. I’ve ordered one for myself.

BTW, [B]I’ve tried contacting Erik Deppe[/B] (ODC author, via his ODC contact email), but haven’t heard back from him. Anybody know if he can still be contacted somehow?

[QUOTE=Ibex;2771334]Good to see you again Halcyon. :flower: Your views on discs & scanning are always interesting.
[/quote]

Thank you, I am humbled.

Very very interesting find. The screenshot indeed shows that it can be used to Scan 100GB BDXL in Plextools Lite, even if a bit messy:

I can’t seem to be able to find [B]Vinpower LG BH16NS48DQ [/B]drive for sale, even through the Japanese eBay sellers. Anybody find a [B]source that is able to sell to EU?[/B]

I have already tried from amazon.co.jp, which has stock, but it states:[I] “this item can’t be shipped to your selected address” [/I](within EU). Bummer.

Amazon.co.jp URL: http://j.mp/BH16NS48DQ

Another possibility, would be a [B]full fw dump and cross-flash[/B] (if it is internally the same as LG LG BH16NS48). I have asked yss, if he could provide a full firmware dump of the BH16NS48DQ drive.

Yes indeed, offered by LG USA. However, [B]not for sale [/B]on newegg/amazon.com/microcenter.com/ncix.com/overstock.com/adorama.com/bhphotovideo.com/rakuten.com. Sigh.

The search continues.

Thank you all for your expertise and valuable input.

SONY Japan BD-R QL (128 GB)

[QUOTE=jadburner;2771421]The SE-506CB will indeed burn a 100 GB BDXL. The drive can scan a BDXL burn, [B]HOWEVER[/B] ODC quits with an error as soon as the scan reaches 50 GB. Also, ODC, DVDInfoPro, and BurnPlot won’t properly display the ImgBurn ibg file. DVDInfoPro and BurnPlot report that the burn is only ~ 48 GB; could this be an issue with the ImgBurn ibg file?[/QUOTE]
Thank you for providing a definitive answer. :flower: I assume CD-DVD Scan is the same.

Are you able to try scanning with QPXTool & KProbe?

They’re the only other scanning software I can think of that might work with that drive. (Although intended for Lite-Ons, KProbe does support Mediatek-based Samsung DVD writers.)

[QUOTE=Ibex;2771463]Are you able to try scanning with QPXTool & KProbe?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the suggestions, Ibex. I tried both tools: QPXTool would not recognize the media in the drive, and KProbe2 quit with an error as soon as it tried to begin the scan process. I do not have a version of CD-DVD Scan that scans for LDC and BIS; do you know where one is available?

I’ve [B]contacted Hitachi LG Data[/B] (manufacturer) in Japan for ordering the LG WH16NS48DQ to EU. Let’s see if they answer.

I’ve also tried [B]ordering [/B]the unit via a [B]Japanese [/B]seller B. Let’s see what they answer.

[B]YSS [/B]has [B]not [/B][B]answered [/B]yet on the [B]firmware [/B]dump request.

The drive is also generating discussion on the cdrlabs.pl forum, but I don’t think anybody there has the drive yet.

All [B]North American shopping engines are drawing a pure zero[/B] on hits on the WH16NS48DQ drive. I don’t think it’s available in the US as of yet.

This would be a very nice drive to have for 3-layer and quad-layer BD-R XL burn tests.

I’ve also ordered some Verbatim BD-R XL 100GB (3-layer) 4x discs from eBay (hopefully not fakes) for testing, along with LG BH16NS55, Pioneer BDR-S09XLT , Samsung SE-506CB/RSWD and Pioneer BDR-XS06JL drives. I’ll report back when I finally get any of the drives and discs for testing.

[B]Thank you all [/B]again for your help and comments! Hopefully I can contribute back soon.

I was able to [B]successfully order WH16NS48DQ from Japan[/B]. [B]Price [/B]is quite high at 1[B]72€ before customs and taxes [/B](it’ll be another 25% or so). But somebody’s gotta take the plunge :stuck_out_tongue:

It’ll take quite a while, before my bank transfer is cleared in Japan and the package is here. I’ll update the thread when I have the drive and have had the time to test it.

[B]Halcyon[/B], congratulations! :clap: How did you managed to order it from Japanese Amazon?

I’ve thought about ordering this drive (and dump the firmware), as well, but it’s quite expensive for me… Maybe later in this year :slight_smile: