BD-R: why no 33GB and 66GB blanks?

vbimport

As I understand it, BDXL uses 33 GB layers in its 3-layer discs, and 32 GB layers in its 4-layer discs.

Why were these developments never used to boost the capacity of SL blanks from 25 to 33 GB, and DL blanks from 50 to 66?

Sort of comparable to the evolution of CD-R which went from 60 to 74 and then 80 minutes.

My guess? Backwards compatibility & marketing, plus market demand. Maybe also to ease potential manufacturing woes.

Most devices purchased are probably of an age that they don’t support BDXL. It, like the whole introduction of 4K, is a chance to get people to buy new equipment, but that’s probably a risk they haven’t been willing to take.

As much as I’ve wondered about this myself, I think meanwhile the biggest issue is, that more and more manufacturers of BD-R media end their production, no one acutally has any interest to invest in new BD-R media development anymore.
Seems streaming ruined optical media for the markets, and BD-Rs became interesting for too few people. :frowning:

It’s all got to do with the market not the technology itself. Optical media is unfortunately useful to too few people and hence the market size is small.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=sengork;2778422]It’s all got to do with the market not the technology itself. Optical media is unfortunately useful to too few people and hence the market size is small.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I kinda disagree. I would gobble up dual and triple layer media at the right prices. BD-R DL prices are tolerable at approximately $2 a disc but could be better. BD-TL prices should be the best bang for the buck and they are the worst at cost per gigabyte right now. People who are big into backing up their Blu-Ray (and soon to be 4k) movie collections are out there. But we are only willing to spend so much money for the hassle.

I would love to see 33/66GB media. But this raises a question. Is such a thing even needed or is it simply a firmware/hardware tweak that gives the extra space on existing BD-R DL discs? If the latter and it was cost effective it seems it would be a no-brainer in spite of the waning interest (for most but not all) in optical media.