BD-R DL recommendations?

vbimport

I’ve just had a very bad experience with some Optical Quantum discs (CMCMAG-DI6-000), coastered 7 out of 9, with a LiteOn ihbs212, HL05 firmware, and looking for some different discs. From the scans the Verbatim 6x seem to be the best, but are going for a premium of ~$8/disc (from what I found), Taiyo Yuden’s look pretty good next at just under $4/disc, followed by JVC Victors at a similar price point. Thoughts?

Not surprised that Optical Quantum found some of the worst quality CMCMAG-DI6 to sell to you :a. Some folks have had decent luck with those from other brands. Its not an easy choice between the TY and JCVs. I strongly doubt you would see any coasters with either one. Both are burning good in the Lite-ons.

On the one hand, you have good burning TYs in original packaging with unknown longevity.

On the other hand, you have good burning Pannys that are repacked with serious longevity claims from Panasonic.

Your call ;). On the up side, I don’t think there’s a bad choice here :).

I use TDK BD-R DL media. I order through ebay from the seller u-japan. Comes out to roughly $3.60/disc shipped.

I use the media to back up my 3D Blu-ray collection. Have never had a coaster, and movies are working fine from over a year ago.

[QUOTE=ZzBloopzZ;2670978]I use TDK BD-R DL media. I order through ebay from the seller u-japan. Comes out to roughly $3.60/disc shipped.

I use the media to back up my 3D Blu-ray collection. Have never had a coaster, and movies are working fine from over a year ago.[/QUOTE]

I use (non-Value) SmartBlu from MediaMegaMall and Verbatim from “Buy in japan” on Amazon. The latter comes to about four bucks a pop (but with two or three weeks in shipping), the former double that. With DL, in BD as with DVD, you have to expect some non-green bars in scanning in one disk out of three or four, and I throw out all such disks, even if the scanning (on LiteOn 112) still continues after the bars, which occur around the layer break, when they do occur. I burn them on the LiteOn 112 and Pioneer 206, at 4x.

The best BD-R50 DL are imho Panasonic/Sony 1-2x, but they are expensive.
CMCMAG-DI6-000 can deliver good burns on Pioneer BD-R206/207.
TDK BD-R50 4x (TDK/That´s), Verbatim BD-R50 4x and Panasonic BD-R50 4x (Panasonic, Sony, JVC/Victor) are mostly decent.
So far, my experience is exactly the same as Coconut´s, you have to accept a greater spectrum of quality in BD-R50 DL with all MIDs.

What are the error thresholds you use to decide when to throw away a disk? And Katraine where do you get those disks you are referring to?

[QUOTE=ZzBloopzZ;2670978]I use TDK BD-R DL media. I order through ebay from the seller u-japan. Comes out to roughly $3.60/disc shipped.[/QUOTE]

Same here, except I’ve used u-japan, jp-stop and jp-gift. They’re all about the same; use whichever’s cheapest.

[QUOTE=derickso;2671302]And Katraine where do you get those disks you are referring to?[/QUOTE]

Search for BD-R DL on ebay.com,
click on “buy it now”,
then sort for : “Price and shipping: Lowest first”.

10 discs of SONY BD-R50 2x with Panasonic-MID cost 44,89 $, shipping included.

10 discs of TDK, Verbatim and JVC/Panasonic BD-R 50 4x cost around 35$ with free shipping.

[QUOTE=katraine;2672813]Search for BD-R DL on ebay.com,
click on “buy it now”,
then sort for : “Price and shipping: Lowest first”.

10 discs of SONY BD-R50 2x with Panasonic-MID cost 44,89 $, shipping included.

10 discs of TDK, Verbatim and JVC/Panasonic BD-R 50 4x cost around 35$ with free shipping.[/QUOTE]

I’d shy away from the Sony 2x rated BD-R DL. One time I bought two “10+1 bonus packs” with 10 4x-rated TDK and 1 2x-rated Sony. The TDK’s were fine, but both of the Sony’s stuttered at some point during the movie in my Panasonic DMP-BD30.

[QUOTE=katraine;2671269]The best BD-R50 DL are imho Panasonic/Sony 1-2x, but they are expensive.
CMCMAG-DI6-000 can deliver good burns on Pioneer BD-R206/207.
TDK BD-R50 4x (TDK/That´s), Verbatim BD-R50 4x and Panasonic BD-R50 4x (Panasonic, Sony, JVC/Victor) are mostly decent.
So far, my experience is exactly the same as Coconut´s, you have to accept a greater spectrum of quality in BD-R50 DL with all MIDs.[/QUOTE]
katraine, do you think the Panasonic x2 are even better than the x4?

These day I use only Panasonic (for more important recording) or That’s/Taiyo Yuden (which is TDK).

Has anyone tried the Mediarange BD-R DL MediaID: MBI (000)? I found 10 pieces in cakebox, price 35 Euro. Thanks in advance.