BD-R Defect Management needed for Data disc?

Hi;

I just got a new LG GGW-H20L, and wanted to back-up various types of data (programs, images, home movies, etc.) to BD-R media for long term storage (well, several years anyway).

I had a few questions.

A) I noticed that burning data to a BD-R media using Nero 8 or Power2Go takes much longer when 'Defect Management" is enabled.

My question is, is “Defect management” useful in this case? (i.e results in better quality burns, or is otherwise helpful).

At this point I am mostly burning all the data in a single session to BD-R, but might do multi-session stuff for some disks.

It would be nice to avoid the performance penalty if it turns out that this feature is not helpful in single-session writing…

B) I also saw that when you create a Blu-ray ‘data’ disk with Nero and CyberLink, they seem to default to “ISO9660/Joliet/UDF 1.02” for the file system.

But, reading the notes that come with Panasonic’s ‘DVDForm’ drivers, it seems to say that UDF 2.5 is recommended for BD-RE, and UDF 2.6 is recommended for BD-R. I also see, that Windows XP only reads up to UDF 2.01 natively.

The Panasonic drivers let me read UDF 2.5 and 2.6, but for the most reliable data storage, what file system should I be using in this case?

Thanks in advance;

-Greg

In theory, yes it is wise to leave BD defect management enabled for important data backups. If a drive detects a defective cluster on a disk, it may maps these defective clusters to a spare area which represent about 5% of total storage capacity on a disc. The spare area are at inner and outer side of each layer of a disc.

Regarding file system, I think it depends on what you are trying to do. UDF 2.50 is to ensure compatibility between PC blu-ray burner and standalone players. If you’re burning “data” you can use other file systems as long as your PC system can recognize it back.

> In theory, yes it is wise to leave BD defect management enabled for
> important data backups

Thanks.

I guess I was hoping that in practice, this wasn’t needed in single session burns (so I could go with the faster write).

Oh well. I’ll probably use defect management and go with UDF 2.

Thanks again.

-Greg