BD-R blank media: Which manufacturer hides behind the Labels?

vbimport

Would be great to have this list on the site or forum, so we could reports in media and it would be put into the spreadsheet.

Thanks for posting the information.

BD-R blank media: Which manufacturer hides behind the labels?

[B]Update:[/B]

BD-R25:

[B]RITEKBR2[/B] in

Platinum BD-R254x printable 25pcs spindle
Philips BD-R25 4x in 10 and 50 spindles
Maxell BD-R25 4x printable
Quvido BD-R25 4x printable
TDK BD-R25 4x printable
Xlayer BD-R25 4x, labelled and printable in grey spindles=RITEK

[B]RITEKBR3[/B] in

Platinum BD-R25 4x, 6x labeled
Philips BD-R25 6x in spindles
TDK BD-R25 6x inkjet printable from Amazon UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Inkjet-Print...pr_product_top

[B]LGEBRAS[/B] in

XLayer, but since June 2013 they are RITEK

[B]TDKBLD-RBB-000[/B] (Made in U.A.E.?) in ?

[B]TDKBLDRBD[/B]_(000) Made in UAE

Digistor BD-R25 6x labeled and printable from Amazon until Sept. 2013

[B]PHILIPR04[/B] in

Mediarange BD-R25 4x, labelled and printable
TDK BD-R25 4x labelled only
DISC9 BD-R25 4x, labelled and printable
Omega Freestyle BD-R25 4x printable
Kodak BD-R25 4x (USA)

[B]CMCMAG BA3[/B] in

Intenso BD-R25 4x
HP Hewlett Packard BD-R25 4x
possible in TDK BD-R25 4x printable from Japan/Ebay, maybe RITEK BR2!
possible in JVC/VICTOR BD-R25 4x printable from Japan/Ebay, other MIDs possible!
maybe VERBATIM BD-R25 4x printable from Japan/Ebay, other MIDs possible!
Omega Freestyle BD-R25 4x printable 25 spindle Made in Taiwan, Omega Freestyle BD-R25 4x GLOSSY printable 25 spindle Made in Taiwan, maybe PHILIPR04!
Pidata BD-R25 4x white inkjet printable (amazon.co.uk)

[B]CMCMAG BA5[/B] in

HIDISC BD-R25 6x printable
Philips BD-R25 6x 5er Jewelcase
EMTEC BD-R25 6x 5er Jewelcase
Verbatim DataLife BD-R25 6x printable (Verbatim 43804, 43811, 43812)

Digistor BD-R25 6x labeled and printable from Amazon since Oct. 2013 - again

Imation Inkjet Printable BD-R25 6x (available in Australia either in packs of 5 full case or packs of 10 slim case)

[B]MBIR06(000)[/B] in

SONY BD-R25 6x ;(
Mediarange BD-R25 6x
TDK BD-R25 6x?

[B]LTH[/B]
RITEK BO1 in TDK BD-R25 4x printable 25 spindle white banderole from amazon. de und amazon.co.uk

[B]BD-RE25 2x[/B]

[B]CMCMAG-CN2-000[/B]

Verbatim, Intenso, EMTEC, Platinum (?) BD-R25 2x

[B]BD-R50 DL Double Layer:[/B]

[B]TDKBLD-RFB-000[/B] in

TDK BD-R50 4x printable TDKBLD-RFB-000

That´s BD-R50 4x printable without logo, 10 and 25 spindles

[B]MEI-T02-001[/B] in

Panasonic, SONY, Verbatim, VICTOR/JVC BD-R DL 50GB 4x printable
That´s BD-R50 4x printable, 30 spindle

[B]CMCMAG DI6[/B] in

TDK BD-R50 2x from Japan

TDK BD-R50 4x from Japan

DIGISTOR BD-R50 6x

Mediarange BD-R50 6x

Omega Freestyle BD-R50 6x printable

Xlyne BD-R50 6x ?

[B]Ritek_DR2[/B] in

XLayer BD-R50 4x

If a similar thread already exists, please put it together!

The combinations of labels and mediacodes listed above cannot be found in all countries and may be varying from country to country.

Rosewill RMI-SB25I is also PHILIPR04.

err…

Mid codes LEGBRAS is also from the brand MEDIARANGE …

And burn very well at 8x to my surprise judging by the quality scan i made…

You can watch and glance at my Mediarange/LEGBRAS06 scan in the following thread

Having quietly switched from Falcon TDK discs (made in the UAE) to CMC Magnetics (made in Taiwan), while having the audacity to keep the same bold claims of quality & longevity, Digistor are now extolling “The importance of Blu-ray discs made in Japan”.

They say that all of their new “Professional Grade” discs (the only ones currently listed on their web site, dark blue label) are made in Japan.

On Amazon.co.uk, the descriptions now state “Phase Change Media made in Japan”. (Although it should be noted that they are reusing the old listings dating back to 2011.)

DIGISTOR 25GB 6X Blu-ray Disc Recordable BD-R Blank Media (25 pack)

DIGISTOR 25GB 6X Blu-ray Disc Recordable BD-R Blank Media, White Inkjet Printable Surface (25 pack)

DIGISTOR 50GB 6X Blu-ray Disc Recordable BD-R Blank Media (25 pack)

DIGISTOR 50GB 6X Blu-ray Disc Recordable BD-R Blank Media, White Inkjet Printable Surface (25 pack) [Currently shows image of old pack]

I don’t yet know who manufactures them but there are only a few options left, especially for SL. (Not my area of expertise though.)

So, which companies are still manufacturing HTL BD-R media (SL & DL) in Japan?

There’s Panasonic/Matsushita of course, making both SL & DL (with various rumours about production being wound down).

Are TDK & Sony still producing any SL discs in Japan? MKM/Verbatim closed their factory, but is there any ongoing SL production outsourced to another Japanese factory?

Do TDK & Sony still make their own DL discs in Japan? Or has it been outsourced like Verbatim/MKM? And who currently manufactures Verbatim’s DL discs (those with a Verbatim MID)? Is it still I-O DATA?

Hi,

I can´t answer all Your questions, especially concerning Digistor.
If You want to make [U]sure[/U] to get BD-R25 Made in Japan, there are only Panasonic BD-R25 left, for example the spindle of 30 from overseas/ebay.
From TDK You will get in most cases CMCMAG Made in Taiwan or even worse, RITEK Made in Taiwan or PHILIPR04 Made in India.
Sony has outsourced BD-R25 manufacturing to RITEK in Taiwan and MBI in India.
If You are very lucky, You will get some BD-R25 6x from Sony in slim-/jewelcases still made in Japan.
TDK BD-R50 4x are very often manufactured in China.
SONY BD-R50 are still made in Japan by Panasonic, but You will get the same mediacode and quality cheaper from Verbatim (BD-R50 4x from ebay/Japan).
There is still a chance for Verbatim BD-R50 6x made in SINGAPORE in a package of 5 pieces/jewelcase.
Other Verbatim DL in different packaging units/spindles sold from european sellers are mostly made in Taiwan and quite crappy.

Kind Regards
Katraine

[QUOTE=katraine;2757795]
TDK BD-R50 4x are very often manufactured in China.[/QUOTE]

Do you know who makes them? CMC Magnetics, Ritek or some local Chinese manufacturer?

I´ve no idea :confused:, just managed to decrypt the japanese “Made in …” sign on an original 25 spindle of That´s BD-R50 4x printable with TDK MID as “China”. :iagree:

Thanks Katraine.

I came across the information on Digistor’s web site by chance while researching a Panasonic/Matsushita Blu-Ray writer and thought it might be of interest to others on the forum.

So, unless Digistor are telling an outrageous lie about the country of origin (not unprecedented in this business ;)), it sounds like both discs are probably Panasonic.

Are the Sony SL discs you mention old stock? Or are they still being manufactured in Japan in small quantities.

And has anyone actually come across SONY_ND6 (DL) discs in the wild? I can’t find scans anywhere and it seems not even Nifty could find any.

Hopefully someone here will buy some and report their identity (they are also on Amazon US). If they turn out to be a new source of Panasonics (at a very reasonable price) that can only be a good thing. :iagree:

And even if the SL discs turned out to be Sony NN3, the quality of the old made in Japan ones was right up there with Panasonic.

Unfortunately I won’t be able to get any for myself in the immediate future, having recently blown my disc budget on 200 Infomedia and 60 Sony NN3 BD-R (made in Japan old stock - [I]stunning[/I] quality!).

I can´t tell, I haven´t bought Sony BD-R DL from Ebay/Japan for a long time.

[QUOTE=Ibex;2757783]Having quietly switched from Falcon TDK discs (made in the UAE) to CMC Magnetics (made in Taiwan), while having the audacity to keep the same bold claims of quality & longevity, Digistor are now extolling “The importance of Blu-ray discs made in Japan”.

They say that all of their new “Professional Grade” discs (the only ones currently listed on their web site, dark blue label) are made in Japan. [/QUOTE]
I just posted about this here.

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2758250]I just posted about this here.

The E-mail I got from MediaMegaMall in July claims they’re Panasonic.

Digistor 50GB BD-R Blu-Ray Discs (made by PANASONIC) and are ABSOLUTELY the most prefessional grade discs on the market today.

MediaMegaMall is your premier source for wholesale, professional grade recordable media. We are introducing DIGISTOR 50GB recordable Blu-Ray discs at the lowest price available anywhere in the USA.

Here is what we mean by PROFESSIONAL QUALITY:

[ul]
[li]Japan quality manufacturing standards[/li]> [li]Panasonic media codes give you the highest equipment compatibility[/li]> [li]Archival grade with scratch resistant technology[/li]> [li]Lifetime warranty[/li]> [/ul]
[/QUOTE]
Thank you for reporting this.

I found this page interesting.

[QUOTE=Ibex;2758269]Thank you for reporting this.[/QUOTE]
I can confirm the 50GB Digistor “Professional Grade” BD-R discs are Made in Japan by Panasonic. MID is: MEI-RB1-001

[QUOTE=Ibex;2758269]Thank you for reporting this.[/QUOTE]
I finally got around to burning my first Panasonic MiJ made Digistor 6x BD-R DL. I’ve posted scans here. I’d say they’re everything Digistor is claiming. :eek:

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2760634]I finally got around to burning my first Panasonic MiJ made Digistor 6x BD-R DL. I’ve posted scans here. I’d say they’re everything Digistor is claiming. :eek:[/QUOTE]

That’s not half bad. :slight_smile:

Very Good! :clap:

I get similar results with Mediarange BD-R50 6x (CMCMAG DI6) with 6x in a Pioneer BDR 207D, my favourite BD-R DL writer. :iagree:

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2760634]I finally got around to burning my first Panasonic MiJ made Digistor 6x BD-R DL. I’ve posted scans here.[/QUOTE]
Nice. Do you fancy being our guinea pig for the SL ones as well? :bigsmile: :clap::clap:

I agree with Katraine, the choice of drive was probably also significant. Will be interesting to see how they perform with other drives.

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2760634]I’d say they’re everything Digistor is claiming. :eek:[/QUOTE]
A rare occurrence in this business. :iagree::cool:

[QUOTE=katraine;2760680]Very Good! :clap:

I get similar results with Mediarange BD-R50 6x (CMCMAG DI6) with 6x in a Pioneer BDR 207D, my favourite BD-R DL writer. :iagree:[/QUOTE]
Thank you for posting some scans (here). Very nice. :clap:

How well do they perform with other writers?

CMC have always been [I]capable[/I] of making very good discs. The only problem is that they didn’t always do so.

There are a few simple rules You have to follow using BD-R50 with the mediacode CMCMAG DI6:

Don´t burn them with a LiteOn or a LG. :bigsmile:
Use a Pioneer from model 206 on.
Don´t burn them faster or slower than 6x, in most cases it will not give You any benefit.

As with any mediacode, You sometimes will find a bad spindle or batch of Mediarange CMCMAG DI6, too. :frowning:

For example, Mediarange had a big quality problem with their DI6 around Christmas 2013. :a
To my surprise, the Mediarange customer service exchanged the crap into decent material! :clap:
Since then, I was more ore less satisfied with their quality.

I wouldn´t trust no names and fantasy/home brands of blank disk sellers using that mediacode. They can´t keep up with the quality of Mediarange and the early Digistor BD-R DL 6x, which were also DI6.