BD-R Available up to 12X Write speed?

vbimport

Hi All,

I missed the Black Friday sale at Media Mega Mall, drat !!
Since they only seem to have one sale a year,
I am looking for a lower price alternative to the Smart Blu 's.
I found this notation on Verbatim’s site for their NON-LTH BD-R’s
http://www.verbatim.com/prod/optical-media/professional-optical/bd-r-professional/white-inkjet-printable/

“Available up to 12X Write speed”

Does anyone know exactly what they mean?
How does one get the discs that are rated to 12X?
Has anyone tried these BD-R 's ?

TIA

I use Verbatim 6x discs in my Pioneer 207MBK and LG GGW-H20L. Mine are not the ink jet printable variety, but that is the only difference.

Verbatim are known to burn well, and there are very few reports from users regarding problems of any type. They didn’t score very well in the one longevity test we’ve seen, but real-world use doesn’t seem to correspond with those findings very well so far.

Rated to 12x means that if your burner can actually burn at that speed, and has support for these discs in its firmware, you can burn at very high speed. I wouldn’t advise it however. I burn Blu-ray at 4x 90% of the time, and have only tried 6x burns on rare occasions. They worked ok, but I don’t have a scanning drive to examine differences between those speeds.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2744292]I use Verbatim 6x discs in my Pioneer 207MBK and LG GGW-H20L. Mine are not the ink jet printable variety, but that is the only difference.

Verbatim are known to burn well, and there are very few reports from users regarding problems of any type. They didn’t score very well in the one longevity test we’ve seen, but real-world use doesn’t seem to correspond with those findings very well so far.

Rated to 12x means that if your burner can actually burn at that speed, and has support for these discs in its firmware, you can burn at very high speed. I wouldn’t advise it however. I burn Blu-ray at 4x 90% of the time, and have only tried 6x burns on rare occasions. They worked ok, but I don’t have a scanning drive to examine differences between those speeds.[/QUOTE]

Thank you Kerry56.

Since I have been told that I can use DVD-R’s instead of BD-R’s to burn my .mp4’s from youtube downloads with no loss of quality, my primary use for BD-R’s will be for burning 22GB backup files from Acronis Backup & Recovery on my “full to the brim” external eSATA backup drive.

If the Verbatim can hold their data for 10 years without a failure, I’d consider it worth the cost savings over the SmartBlu’s.

I have burned the SmartBlu’s at 10X without any problems so far.
I am using a BDR-208DBK.

No one can tell you whether or not the Verbatim BD-R discs will last ten years or not. I’ve only been burning Blu-ray since 2008, so I have no examples of any type of BD disc that is a decade old, and there aren’t many around here with examples much older. Some perhaps.

And I would consider 10x high speed indeed.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2744369]No one can tell you whether or not the Verbatim BD-R discs will last ten years or not. I’ve only been burning Blu-ray since 2008, so I have no examples of any type of BD disc that is a decade old, and there aren’t many around here with examples much older. Some perhaps.

And I would consider 10x high speed indeed.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. I guess I will stick with the SmartBlu’s they’re $1.20 ~ $1.25 each, but I know they have been reliable so far. And if I need to do a restore and the data is there, it will be money well spent.