BD player that upconverts DVD over component?

I do not have an HDMI or DVI connection on my plasma TV. Are there any current BD players that will allow 720p or 1080i signals to be sent over component for both DVDs and BDs?

I am in the US. Are there any firmware updates that will allow this for US models? Any foreign models?

Thanks.

SMK

If you have SVideo cable I think it will do either 720p or 1080i. Not 100% sure though.

Thanks, but Svideo only does 480i.

Any others???

SMK

Some cheaper Blu-ray players to look at.

LG BD370 and LG BD390

• Both of these players will up-convert over component when playing back non protected media to a max resolution of 1080i.

If you are playing protected media the resolution will default to 480i or 480p

A more expensive player to look at would be the Oppo BDP-83

The same rules apply.

:cool::cool:

Most any DVD or BD player will upscale DVDs over component IF they are not CSS encrypted. Most BD players will output 1080i over component on BD discs. You would need to look at a specific player to confirm the BD output.

There are firmware hacks for some older model DVD players that remove the CSS encryption limitation, but none for current players that I know of.

[QUOTE=CDan;2408425]There are firmware hacks for some older model DVD players that remove the CSS encryption limitation, but none for current players that I know of.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I was afraid of that.

SMK

[QUOTE=CDan;2408425]Most any DVD or BD player will upscale DVDs over component IF they are not CSS encrypted. Most BD players will output 1080i over component on BD discs. You would need to look at a specific player to confirm the BD output.

There are firmware hacks for some older model DVD players that remove the CSS encryption limitation, but none for current players that I know of.[/QUOTE]

That’s correct most but not all will up-convert over component.

Don’t you love the wonderful world of copy protection. Big brother wants to control what you watch,when you watch and how watch your media.

:cool::cool:

The simple solution for getting around the CSS block is to copy your original movies to blank dvds and only play the copies in the players. Something I do anyway.

[QUOTE=platinumsword;2408500]
Don’t you love the wonderful world of copy protection. Big brother wants to control what you watch,when you watch and how watch your media.

:cool::cool:[/QUOTE]

What’s funny is that the studios still believe that pirates are all sitting around duplicating movies in real time over analog connections. :rolleyes:

Stay tuned, the BDA plans to implement total analog down-resing in a year or so, limiting any analog connect to 480.