BD optical drives recognising BD-R disks as BD-RW, please help!

vbimport

Hi I am a new member with a major computer problem! My main interest other than the usual computer use is editing HD video and authoring disks. Recently I bought an entry level professional AVCHD video camera (.MTS files). I also update my desktop computer to handle MPEG 2 Blu-ray disk authoring. Specs are; Pioneer BDR207D ver 1.20 & LG B10LS30 ver 1.01 Blu-ray writers, Intel i5 2600, Gigabyte P67A-UD5-B3 motherboard, Win 7 64bit, SONY vegas movie studio platinum 11 HD, TMPGEnc Authoring works 4. Yes I am just an enthusiast not a pro. My problem starts when I get to the authoring stage and the software asks me to insert the media I wish to write to. I put in a Verbatim BD-R 6X printable disc and then after a few seconds a box comes up saying it is formatting a BD-RE and I can’t stop it. The result is the disk is then rejected by the authoring software as being previously recorded on. I have created 5 coasters so far trying to resolve it. I went to Pegasys support and there best suggestion is to update the firmware on my drives but they are at the latest versions already. They deny it is anything to do with their software. One other twist is those disks can be written to in my home theatre Panasonic Blu-ray recorder / player no problem. I would much appreciate any help, thankyou.:confused:

Try changing the target for your output to the hard drive rather than directly to a disk. Then use ImgBurn to do the burn to the disc. You’ll need to use UDF 2.5 setting withing ImgBurn, but it will detect that you are trying to burn blu ray video and ask to change to the correct settings if you don’t have everything set up correctly by hand.

Hi Kerry56 thanks for your reply, I am trying to understand this fully so please indulge me further. Are you saying that my authoring software is the one making the decision to format the disk and not my drives firmware? This is something that Pegasys denys could be the problem. You understand it would then take three programs to produce a BD-R where if it had been a BD-RE in the first place no problem would exist.

The fault is with the software. Someone else stopped by 2 weeks ago with a similar problem with Sony Vegas. Kerry’s advise is solid. Keep in mind that authoring programmers do not specialize in burning hardware/firmware. You simply need to use the best software for the job at hand. You’re set for authoring, Imgburn is the best program for burning your projects to disc. Its free. There’s no downside here :). Save your Blu-ray project as an ISO and burn it with Imgburn. Preferably burning at 4-6x for best playback results.

Saving the result as ISO also allows you to use virtual clonedrive to mount the ISO and view the finished product with your playback software before burning to disc.

Thanks for the further info, I never stop learning. Can you also confirm Verbatim 25G BD-R 6X disks are OK with ImgBurn, they make expensive coasters here in New Zealand. The help is much appreciated from both of you, cheers.:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Teal2012;2634514]Thanks for the further info, I never stop learning. Can you also confirm Verbatim 25G BD-R 6X disks are OK with ImgBurn, they make expensive coasters here in New Zealand. The help is much appreciated from both of you, cheers.:)[/QUOTE]

Your kidding Verbatim coasters…especially in BD…hmm…sounds like could be bad hardware…and software related problems in burning. I used Windata BD-R with Imgburn and it works fine and also used Optical Quantum 6X 50GB BD-R Double Layer with Imgburn with any problems. This is on a LiteOn 212 BD drive that is.

[QUOTE=Teal2012;2634514]Thanks for the further info, I never stop learning. Can you also confirm Verbatim 25G BD-R 6X disks are OK with ImgBurn, they make expensive coasters here in New Zealand. The help is much appreciated from both of you, cheers.:)[/QUOTE]

Results with different disc brands are dictated by how well the drive and it’s firmware handle that particular disc’s design/MID. As well as the quality of materials/manufacturing of that disc. You should not have trouble with Verbatims. Are they LTH type? Keep in mind that even if your drive will allow you to burn them faster than rated speed, the write quality may be lower if you do so. Imgburn will handle any discs you can throw at it, the author updates it frequently to keep up with new technology.

Thanks guys for all your replys, great help. Just got to order some more BD-R’s.:):slight_smile: