Battlefield 1942 copy & some questions

I have always been more of a movie buff then a game buff so this will be my first time trying to copy a game. (so be gentle!) :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve done lots of searching and reading and think I’ve pretty much got it figured out. But I do have a few questions.
(I will be using Alcohol 120% to do the copying)

1. I’ve got a LiteOn 40125S CDRW and a LiteOn 411S DVDRW. From what I gather they are both capable of copying this game fine. My question is, which one should I use to copy the game and why? I would assume the 411S because it’s a year newer… but I’d like some educated opinions on that.

2. Searching these forums I’ve got conflicting reports that BF 1942 is either SafeDisc 2.6 or 2.8, since they require different backup methods (according to this) I sort of need to know which one it is before I start.

3. I’ve seen people recommend burning at 4x or 8x (and similar reading speeds). From what I know about CD burning with high speed drives/media I get less errors (C1/C2) when burning at 32x compared to a really low speed (I’m using decent quality Ritek 52x rated media). So why do I need to burn so slow then? I can see the logic in reading slower, but burning slower will give me more errors which I consider a bad thing… :smiley:

From my persoanl experience, burning slower somehow improves the way the cd is read. It becomes more portable and will play on more variety of older cd-rom optical drives, it spins up faster and data is seed in explorer is shorter time. I do not completely myself understand the technical reasoning behind it, but as rule of thumb read and write @ slower speeds.

I dont use alcohol, I’m a complete CCD fan.

P.S.
Would you like this moved to alcohol forum if thats what you solely intend to use?

Both those drives can copy it well, so what drive you use shouldn’t really matter.

From what I remember Battlefield 1942 is SafeDisc 2.6 protected, and the 1.2 patch takes it to SafeDisc 2.8.

To copy it, you can use the SafeDisc profile (not 2/3). Read it at a slower speed, say 24x(to be on the safe side). There will be read errors, and it will read very slowly until about sector 10,000 to 10,500.

When you have made the image, start to write it with the SafeDisc profile at 16x. Just more precise that way. Make sure you use an ATIP hider (Ignore Media Type) if playing backups from a burner.

I’m pretty sure burning at slower speeds increases compatibility.

Originally posted by xtacydima
[B]I dont use alcohol, I’m a complete CCD fan.

P.S.
Would you like this moved to alcohol forum if thats what you solely intend to use? [/B]

I am open to using CCD as well. I just found more info on using A120%. If you would like to recommend CCD for some reason over A120% I’m all ears (But if you would like to move it that is fine by me as well, don’t worry about leaving a redirect, if it moves I’m sure I can find it :smiley: )

For an ultimate copy, I personally would go with DiscJuggler. Since the patches raise the protection scheme, thats what I would do, but then again, I am paranoid…:eek: :eek: :eek:

Let us know how it goes.

How the heck does a patch manage to change copy protection??? From what I gathered the protection is part of the CD itself. If it is, then how can they just change it through software then?

I do want to make the best copy possible. Like I said I’m a total newb at this, so DiscJuggler you say? Can you explain to me why I should use any particular program over another?

Hi Ssseth:bigsmile: ,

take a look at philhambers guide how to copy Safedisc 2 protected games there is everything you need, such as programs (CloneCD, Alcohol, DiscJuggler,…) and detailed descriptions about the settings for each of them http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50778 . As $CyBeRwIz$ replyed the game got Safedisc 2.6 so this shouldn’t be a problem for your LiteOn drives:). I would use the LTR40125S CDRW for writing and reading because it can correctly encode EFM. Which is important for Safedisc protected games. Found nothing about your LiteOn 411S DVDRW at alcohol forum. I prefer BlindWrite 4xxx for Safedisc below 2.9, also tried DiscJuggler but didn’t really work. Perhaps I made something wrong. Alcohol will make a good quality ‘1:1’ backup with the settings described above. So it’s your choice:p

FP’s guide here has a great GUI like expaination:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=78690

Also as pointed out before, another same guide via text by philamber here
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50778

If you check my first post you will see I’ve already found the guides.

I just want to know which one I should use and an explination as to why. :smiley:

Another quick question. I only have to worry about making 1:1 copies of the “play disc” right? I mean if I want to copy the second disc I don’t need to worry about the protection?

Usually the play disc is the only protected one. Just copy the others as data.

The reason for my DiscJuggler suggestion is because SafeDisc 2.51+ has more protection in the pre-groove which DJ handles better than CCD or Alc and writes more properly. It is superior in general when it comes to SD protection. If only there was a patcher for it like twinpeak andit read sub data well, it would probably also be the best at Securom and #1 as far as copying software on the market. But because of its surpassed ability to copy the pre-groove correctly it is truley a SafeDisc killer and IMO ranks over CCD & Alc.

:slight_smile:

>The reason for my DiscJuggler suggestion is because SafeDisc 2.51+ has more protection in the pre-groove which DJ handles better than CCD or Alc and writes more properly.

Actually it only becomes relevant with sd 2.8. However, BF 1942, though mastered with sd 2.6, contains the pre-gap info that the guard module for sd 2.8+ checks so if the game is updated to the latest version, a copy that previously was good may then fail.

If your reader is sufficiently accurate and you have a 2 sheep writer then a discjuggler copy is the best you can get because it is the only app that actually reads and writes the pre-gap info (alcohol & blindwrite by-pass that aspect of the guard module by a different method).

However, dj requires a very accurate reader for a sd 2.8+ copy to work. Plextor cdrws, Toshiba dvds and Asus cdrws will all be ok. However, Lite-on drives are hit or miss and you’ll need some luck to get a dj copy of a sd 2.8+ protected game to work if you use a Litey as the reader (mine all fail but reading with my Asus CRW-5224A succeeds).

If your dj copy fails (and remember that you’ll need an atip hiding utility if playing the copy from a writer though not from an ordinary cd/dvd rom), then the easiest solution for you would be to use alcohol with safedisc (not safedisc 2/3) datatype settings. Just remember to enable Ignore media type in alcohol’s emulation options if you want to run the back-up from one of your writers.

Actually, interesting thing. Burnatonce detected the same errors on disc 2 that were on disc 1 which according to you guys is the SafeDisc protection.

I will give DiscJuggler a go with both my LiteOn drives and see what happens. How will I know if it “fails”? Will I get an error message or something? That is sad to know my LiteOn drives may not copy SafeDisc properly. I’ve always thought copy protection was one of LiteOn’s strong area’s.

If that doesn’t work then I guess I’ll stick with Alchohol 120% as I originally planned.
Another question. Why do I use the SafeDisc profile instead of the 2/3 one? :confused:
Since you say that this game is semi SafeDisc 2.8 then does the following still apply? If so… why do you tell me above to try DiscJuggler and below it says it’s hit and miss…?

Update: If you are attempting to copy The Sims Unleashed, Total Club Manager, Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2 or any other game protected with safedisc 2.8x or 2.9x, the only reliable methods are to use alcohol or make an image with discdump and burn that image with fireburner in either dao16 or dao96 mode. A discdump image burnt with nero in dao96 mode generally will also work but the copy will be inferior to one made using fireburner. Reports as to attempts (and my personal experience) with discjuggler, blindwrite, cdmate and burnatonce (image read with internal discdump) are mixed. There have been a number of successes but also a number of failures with those programs. Note: Although this thread is about software other than clonecd, with the current version of clonecd (4.2.0.2), clonecd also falls into the hit or miss category along with discjuggler, blindwrite, cdmate and burnatonce.

No, your LiteON drives are EFM encoders(SafeDisc 2/3).

You use the SafeDisc profile(not 2/3) only if your drive is a SafeDisc 2 killer. The profile was designed for people with a 0 sheep burner (cannot encode EFM).

The main reason is that the SafeDisc profile is best suited because it doesn’t need to Amplify Weak Sectors.

The answer to your Discjuggler question is that DiscJuggler is very hardware dependant, and will not work for everyone.

But if DiscJuggler does work it’s better then Alcohol 120% then?

Okay… all I really care about now is: My Alcohol copy should work right? Even after I patch the game?

(man there is allot more to this then I originally thought!)

Answer to first Question - yes. But for the second - it should work, but upgrading to the patch MIGHT render the copy unusable.

“make an image with discdump and burn that image with fireburner in either dao16 or dao96 mode”

What about that option?

Okay… all I really care about now is: My Alcohol copy should work right? Even after I patch the game?

Yes, with your writers, it will. :slight_smile:

“make an image with discdump and burn that image with fireburner in either dao16 or dao96 mode”

What about that option?

That will also work with your writers. :cool:

Ok. I tried DiscJuggler with the 411S. It just hung there and didn’t do anything (I left it for about 15 minutes).
My 40125S however immediatly began reading and supplying the dummy block(s) like it should (at least that’s what I think it should be doing). So I guess the 40125S is better then the much newer 411S for reading SafeDisc with DiscJuggler. :smiley:

I’ll see how this DiscJuggler copy works out. If it doesn’t I’ll try Alchohol 120%.

I’d really like to thank you all for answering my questions and helping introduce me to Copy Protection! :bigsmile: