Battle over network DVR stalls in court

I just posted the article Battle over network DVR stalls in court.

The U.S. Supreme court declined to hear a case that could ultimately affect how much people pay for cable DVR service, instead asking the Department of Justice to weigh in.Cablevision’s Mystro TV,…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/15414-Battle-over-network-DVR-stalls-in-court.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/15414-Battle-over-network-DVR-stalls-in-court.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

“…a petty argument over semantics.” Sounds like music to a lawyer’s ears!

Sounds like network storage powered DVR service would be awesome. You wouldn’t need a dedicated DVR in each room (just a digital cable box) and you would still be able to record shows from any of those rooms!

I agree with Blu-rayFreak. If you could access all your recorded shows from any of the TVs in your home then that would be great, and none of that sounds like copyright infringement to me. I remember way back when there were arguments about taxing VHS tapes and VCRs. It sounds like a similar debate to me, and the TV networks are not going to win.

@ferd:

Pure conjecture! That’s not jurisprudent!

Hmmm…I think this technology has one glaring short-coming…bandwidth. The cable companies are already bitching and moaning about bandwidth usage, and they want to introduce a technology that will consume enormous amounts of additional bandwidth? All it will take to shut this technology down is for an average viewer to time-shift a couple minutes any of the major shows on in primetime. The cable company would then be stuck re-broadcasting each individual stream, since it’s unlikely all viewers would time shift in exactly the same way so caching would get overwhelmed. Then add in the viewers who want to catch up on yesterday’s shows today, while a bunch of today’s shows are time shifted, and it gets to be quite a mess. It’s easy to foresee that 1000’s of different shows are going to be watched in addition to shows that are live. And the more customers that do it, and the longer they do it, the worse it will get. And HD signals only make it worse.

Then add in storage requirements. As much as 4-8GB per hour depending on signal and quality, for at least 4 hours a day, on most of the popular channels out of the 150+ channels available, would consume upwards of several TB every day. The storage management would quickly become a nightmare.

I just don’t see how this could possibly be successful in the long run.