Batch Running

vbimport

Hi guys,

im currently using the trial version of dvdfab 5, so far im quite impressed, but ive got one question, which i cant seem to find the answer to, hopefully someone could point me in the right direction

is it possible to run a batch of dvds to mp4 overnight, as it seems at the moment you have to load 1 dvd then convert then start again, does anyone know if its possible to run a batch process to run overnight?

thanks to anyone who replys

Yes, DVD to Mobile is a queue-based batch mode, the list of titles you see after clicking NEXT is a task list. To add another title to the queue, click the Source folder icon and select the VIDEO_TS folder containing the new material. The additional material must be ripped to a HDD folder beforehand unless you have lots of optical drives. This and much other useful information for new users is explained on the [B]DVD to Mobile page [/B]of the tutorial.

Given the number of requests for batch processing, it is apparent that this feature is non-obvious to find and use. I think that is because it is so different from other programs that support batch mode. Unfortunately, until this changes there will continue to be requests and questions no matter how many times RTFM is chanted.

Also, when doing batched DVD to Mobile operations you are forced to use the same destination folder for everything. Changing the destination folder on each new task result in all files being generated into the last folder chosen. Not a big deal but it is another thing that could be fixed if batch mode worked differently.

I disagree. It could not be easier to use, and it is called “Task List” right in the main window. RTFM RTFM RTFM :slight_smile:

Wait… didn’t you [B]write[/B] the manual or something? I imagine you would disagree. Keep on keeping the faith signals.

I have contributed to the manual, but that does not change the fact that the answers are there for those who will look (and new users get a pass from me on the RTFM mantra, see my post in this thread which has an answer [B]and[/B] a link). Software with as many user options as DVDFab has lots of checkboxes and buttons that are required to control its behaviour, and this situation will become more complicated and new features are added. The alternative would seem to be an Apple-like application that makes all the decisions for what [I]it[/I] thinks are good choices. Fengtao is the antiJobs.

[QUOTE=signals;2109400]I disagree. It could not be easier to use, and it is called “Task List” right in the main window. RTFM RTFM RTFM :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=signals;2109422]I have contributed to the manual, but that does not change the fact that the answers are there for those who will look (and new users get a pass from me on the RTFM mantra, see my post in this thread which has an answer [B]and[/B] a link). Software with as many user options as DVDFab has lots of checkboxes and buttons that are required to control its behaviour, and this situation will become more complicated and new features are added. The alternative would seem to be an Apple-like application that makes all the decisions for what [I]it[/I] thinks are good choices. Fengtao is the antiJobs.[/QUOTE]

Well said signals, couldn’t agree more…:clap:

Unfortunately there will always be those that just make everything so “complicating” and whine about why things are just not purrrrfect…
I don’t remember the last time I RTFM, so far Fab has worked nicely for me,but I know TFM is there if needed…

Cheers!:smiley:

I fully agree that users SHOULD consult the manual prior to posting a question. I also fully applaud efforts to both answer the question and direct people to the manual.

However, it has been my experience that if people keep having the same trouble then a change is probably warranted regardless of how easy it would be if they just RTFM. Almost everything seems simple once you know how to do it. This is especially true for very smart people that figure things out quickly.

I don’t use Apple products and have mostly used Linux as my primary desktop for many years. I don’t think pointing out where the GUI design is lacking is whining. Instead, communicating where things could be improved is how products become better. I use DVDFab several times a week and that is why I take the time to write about these things. I already know how to do batch mode so writing about how it could be better presented does little for me personally.

Fair enough. I think we have veered a little astray, hopefully not too far for the OP to extract what he needed or that alan will notice :).

Watch out for that dreaded Alan :cop:

Batch processing - I am not able to figure this out. After I have one DVD listed in the task list, I go back and choose another. But when I hit next, the second one replaces the first in the task list. I read in this thread to rip the DVDs to a folder on the hard drive, but do not see how to do it with DVDFab. I downloaded FabDecrypter but it seems to have integrated into DVDFab. I am able to do batch processing with FairUse Wizrd but am stymied with DVDFab. Since I have not succeeded by RTFM, I hope you can help me.

Batch processing is only available when using DVDFab to Mobile. You would rip a bunch of DVDs to the hard drive and then process them in one big batch.

Yes. I have been using DVDfab to mobile - the generic setting. Must I use another tool to rip to hard drive?

I ripped several DVDs to a folder on my hard drive using Smart-ripper, but still have not succeeded in queing them in DVDFab mobile [generic]. Can someone give me guidance pls?

Maybe the issue is with your ripper and not with DVDFab Mobile :slight_smile:
You can use DVDFab HD Decrypter to rip with it is free you know :slight_smile:

[quote=JazzMind;2201371]Batch processing - I am not able to figure this out. After I have one DVD listed in the task list, I go back and choose another. But when I hit next, the second one replaces the first in the task list. I read in this thread to rip the DVDs to a folder on the hard drive, but do not see how to do it with DVDFab. I downloaded FabDecrypter but it seems to have integrated into DVDFab. I am able to do batch processing with FairUse Wizrd but am stymied with DVDFab. Since I have not succeeded by RTFM, I hope you can help me.[/quote]DVD to Mobile is queue-based, but all Sources must be available until the job completes–if you pop a disc out to put in another, the original task will be removed from the queue. That is the reason for ripping to the hard drive first if you are doing several at once. You can do that by clicking on the folder icon on the Target line near the top of the DVDFab window in DVD to DVD mode. To add them to the queue in DVD to Mobile, click on the folder icon in the Source line in the same area. which can be done either before or after you click Next. If it is not reading/analyzing the titles and adding them to the queue, there may be something wrong.