Basic scan question about LiteOn scanner

I haven’t seen this stated literally but draw the conclusion from several posts that LiteOn scanners do all their scans in one run. So, Pie, PIF, jitter are all scanned at the same time (not like Plextor). Is this correct?

What software is best used to perform scans with LiteOn drives? Nero CDspeed, Kprobe,…?

Thanks
Moomin

Yes this is correct. :slight_smile:

As for which software…I use both. Only CD-DVD Speed out of the two will show jitter, though.

DVD scan can do Jitter with Lite0n’s (that can report Jitter) and it can split some of the tests down into single runs.

I prefer just using cdspeed and doing jitter + PIE/PIF. Btw, technically with cdspeed 4.7.5.0, jitter is done after it tests PIE/PIF.

So it does those in two runs? How long will the jitter test take?

Moomin

The jitter pass is much quicker than the PIE/PIF pass on a Litey… if I do a 4x scan of a full DVD-5 it takes about 17 minutes, 15 for the PIE/PIF pas and another 2 for jitter.

Stupid Question of the Day:

Why? What is the value of K-Probe vs. CD/DVD Speed? It seems to me that CD/DVD Speed does all you need and does it with more comprehensible output. Why do people still use K-Probe, other than inertia or nostalgia? Does K-Probe do a better job with certain burners? Does K-Probe have tests that CD/DVD Speed doesn’t have? Is K-Probe more accurate? Does it give you more output options?

KProbe does ATER/ADER tests (although I don’t know how to interpret those), and also includes a RPC counter reset function for LiteOn devices.

It also supports scanning for C1/C2 with older LiteOn CD-R(W) burners that do not have a Mediatek chipset but a Sanyo chipset such as the LTR-16101B, while CD-DVD Speed does not support scanning with Sanyo chipsets at all.

And, last but not least, it can start scanning even if the disc is somewhat unreadable at the beginning (don’t know the technical details but I had such a disc once) while CD-DVD Speed will stop while spinning up (it reads data while spinning up the drive which is essentially unnecessary and causes trouble).

that’s right and thanks for clarifying it :flower: just remembered my experience here

Yeah but testing the jitter is so quick compared to the actual quality scan that I forget that :bigsmile:

@negritude - hehe, Evilboy said it all :D…added to that, as mentioned I have a LiteOn CD-RW, and I use KProbe with it. It’s also what we use in drive reviews :slight_smile:

How much CPU time does a scanning Liteon need? Can you run it in the background on a busy PC and not even notice it’s there?

Can you run several Liteons in one PC testing at the same time?

Moomin

I can happily scan with my Litey running Folding@Home (which uses at lot of CPU cycles) at the same time. YMMV, but there’s shouldn’t be a problem running other programs as well.

Never tried using several drives to scan at once though, that’s a novel idea :wink:

Scanning with Nero CD-DVD Speed or KProbe2 doesn’t use much CPU time, but scanning PIE/PIF with real-time display can use a fair amount of CPU IIRC.

Depending on what you’re doing with your PC, you may be able to run a scan in the background without any problems, but the scan can get interrupted if you start or run a program that tries to access the scanning drive.

Personally I rarely use my desktop PC during scanning, but then again I have a laptop that I use most of the time (remote controlling the desktop as needed).

Running multiple scans simultaneously is possible, but if the drives are on the same IDE channel, there’s no guarantee it will work properly - especially since LiteOn drives drop more samples at higher speeds, so they would presumably also drop far more samples if attached to the same IDE channel.

If the Liteons drop samples at higher speeds, what would be the more accurate test speed? I read some people actually prefer highspeed scanning but if they drop samples, you can’t trust the results?

Moomin

That’s entirely too big a subject to answer briefly; we have several threads about this in this forum and in the Media testing/Indentifying Software sub-forum, that have been running for a long time without getting consensus on this topic. :wink:

Yeah you can trust the results, technically, if more samples are dropped, the error totals should be a tad lower. So on some very good burns, when you scan @ 16x, you will see a decrease in errors. However on a crappy burn, 16x may show a big increase in errors, simply because the disc is harder to read @ max speed and more errors are encountered by the drive. On a really good burn you should see maybe a small increase or even a decrease in errors @ 16x.

I find that using both 4x and 16x is a good way to go about scanning. I wouldn’t really just recommend one speed only, you never know what can happen. I’ve seen some discs scan with low errors @ 4x and lots @ 16x and I’ve seen a very rare case of 16x looking ok but 4x looking very bad. If I could [B]only[/B] pick one speed for scanning though, it would be 16x. Simply because I’ve personally only ever had one disc scan good @ 16x and bad @ 4x. 99% of the time it’s problematic discs scanning ok @ 4x but absolute crap @ 16x.

You have access to the raw scan data from KProbe- save a [B]raw[/B] file and you’ll find (typically) over 100k lines with the counts. You can do your own analysis of this information- check averaging algorithms, make your own plots, see what the real time chart does to sampling rates and a whole lot of other stuff.

G

BTW, is a Liteon in an external USB enclosure still capable of performing quality scans? Does Kprobe/Nero CDspeed support this?

Moomin

Yes, at least in my experience. How accurate those scans will be is one for cd pirate, Drage et al to answer though :wink:

Yes I have one set up in a USB drive and it works fine in cdspeed. Never bothered with kprobe.

The USB drive will drop more samples. Say you scan @ 8x in an internal, it will do 1.15ECC but in a n external it can do like 1.35ECC or higher, which means more samples are being dropped. That means some scans may look a little better than others that are done internally. I’m in the process of putting my external liteon into my PC. I’m going to relegate one of my other drives into the external instead.