Basic, Basic questions

I am getting started with DVDFab 5.2.5. I used an earlier edition for a while, with some success.

Here are my basic questions:

I want to burn a typical video DVD onto my Hard Drive and then later burn a playable video DVD from it–that is playable on the average DVD player.

As I get into the program, it looks like it wants to burn a .vob file onto the hard drive. Is this correct? Can I later then ask DVDFab to burn this .VOB file onto a DVD and will it be playable?

Is the idea of an ISO image involved in this process? Should I instead be burning an ISO image onto my HD and later burning that ISO image onto a DVD? If so, how do I do that?

Let me know and please feel free to point me to a source on these sorts of procedures if there is one. If I understood the basic relationships between the file formats, I would be a lot better off–and stop asking these sorts of questions.

Many thanks.

[QUOTE=teocuitlatl;2280254]I am getting started with DVDFab 5.2.5. I used an earlier edition for a while, with some success.

Here are my basic questions:

I want to burn a typical video DVD onto my Hard Drive and then later burn a playable video DVD from it–that is playable on the average DVD player.

As I get into the program, it looks like it wants to burn a .vob file onto the hard drive. Is this correct? Can I later then ask DVDFab to burn this .VOB file onto a DVD and will it be playable?

Is the idea of an ISO image involved in this process? Should I instead be burning an ISO image onto my HD and later burning that ISO image onto a DVD? If so, how do I do that?

Let me know and please feel free to point me to a source on these sorts of procedures if there is one. If I understood the basic relationships between the file formats, I would be a lot better off–and stop asking these sorts of questions.

Many thanks.[/QUOTE]

I suppose the easiest way to start this is to ask you to take a store-bought…any one, doesn’t matter…put it in your drive, then open Windows Explorer (unless it auto-starts a DVD player) - just kill that - in Explorer, go to the drive letter and click on it.

It will show you two folders - AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS - all the files of interest are in the VIDEO_TS folder (the AUDIO_TS is an empty folder).

Click on the VIDEO_TS folder and note the files therein.

These are the files that DVDFAb duplicates (less the copy protection) when you do a DVD to DVD rip with DVD9 selected as quality, and don’t deliberately select ISO as the output.

These are the files that also will be written to your blank DVD when you do the write process.

ISO is another format (also called ‘Memory Image’) that’ll take too long to explain…but there is no difference in playback quality between the two, and most set-top players can handle both formats.

Unless you use VLC Media Player, you’ll need to mount a virtual drive on your computer to watch ISO files on the computer.

I’m not sure if Fab can rip an ISO image off a disc (never tried), but all the store-boughts are supplied in the AUDIO/VIDEO format.

Fab can (if you wish) convert the standard format to ISO, and write it to DVD, but it’s usually special playback conditions that require the ISO format.

Does this more or less answer your questions?

OC

:slight_smile:

Thanks.
Two things: The newer DVDFab has a 100% success rate so far burning DVD to DVD. Much better than the prior program edition and much less finicky. Also, I have a new burner which maybe just as important in the improved performance.

Second, as I understand it I don’t need to be ocncerned with ISO image at all. I can just save the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders direct to my HD following the rip instructions. I can later go and ask these to be burned to a DVD. I’ll try this reasonably soon. I presume this is what the program does on a DVD to DVD copy process–when it asks if I want to burn another image after I have burned one copy (of the same files the program has just put in its temp file location), Many thanks.

Make sure that you don’t have delete image when done burning checked or else it will delete it, Also if you have a new burner make sure that the firmware is up to date on it too