Bandwidth monitor recorder

vbimport

Hi :slight_smile:

Recently I am having a lot of issues with my crappy ISP. I get frequent disconnections, and when (or I should say if :rolleyes:) the modem is able to reconnect speed connection is lower than normal.

I already talked a lot of times with tech support, and yesterday a technician come to my home to check the line. After a lot of blah blah, it seemed that the problem was solved (the tech guy said that there was a defective component in the central, and they fixed it), but about 1 hour ago the problem started again, worst than before: 8 disconnections in 15 minutes :doh:

Of course, the n-th call to tech support produced no result. Probably tomorrow someone will check again the central (or whatever it is called the thing managing all adsl connections in my local zone), but I’m almost certain that this problem will be not fixed anytime soon :Z

I was able to notice the many consecutive disconnections because I was at the keyboard chatting with my brother via msn, and of course it was pretty difficult to make a conversation after so many disconnections :a but I’m curious to know exactly how the connection behave when I’m not at the keyboard. This will allow me to show the tech guy what exactly happen during the day, and that I’m not joking.

I need a tool (possibly freeware) that record a graph of all activity, so I can find exactly how many disconnections I get. There is something that can do this?

I already found some tools, like NetWorx, but even if it is very nice (and also portable, so no installation is required), it is not possible to record the graph.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Hey Geno - users of my own ISP’s forums run this for about 24 hours or so to monitor any packet loss/disconnections etc.

Not sure if it’d work with an Italian ISP though…maybe there’s something similar for Italian ISP’s to use?

It does produce a pretty graph for you at the end :slight_smile:

Thanks I’ll give it a try :flower:

Good luck! Remember, if that one doesn’t work, have a look for something similar for Italian customers.

Let us know how you get on, you need something to help you put your ISP in its place :bigsmile:

In the afternoon I got two more disconnections, so I called again Tech support, and they will monitor my connection…

That tool is not working on my end :frowning:

But I found a way to circumvent the issue :bigsmile:

uTorrent has a nice graphic showing connection speed that can cover about 24 hours. It is not able to save the graphic on hard disk, but it can show if there were disconnections, so I can see what happen overnight with a decent approximation.

If someone is interested, I’ll use this as test :bigsmile:

It sounds like you have DSL, you said something about ADSL. Anyway, it’s Internet over Copper and you have to know how to recycle your Modem. A hard wired connection is always the best. You also talk about uTorrent and the ISP’s don’t like these high bandwidth applications… So if you know how to recycle your Modem and you are not relying on Wireless with a Laptop you should be okay. :cool:

I never use wireless, even if my router has this feature. All my connections are cabled :slight_smile:

My current setup is made by a modem + router (separate components), and everything worked flawlessly until 3 weeks ago. I have no idea what kind of mess the ISP made on my connection, but I’m pretty sure that the problem is not at my end :frowning:

However, the torrent was a nice test, to put “in stress” the connection. I noticed two disconnections in the graph, but I can’t say if there were more than two.

I also know for sure that at least one disconnection happened because I kept note of the IP address assigned to me yesterday, and today I have a different IP :doh:

The problem is still far from be solved :sad:

Usually the easiest way to keep track of DSL disconnections is to check the router’s log file, but as you’re using a separate modem it probably won’t help. But it might be worth a look anyway on the off chance it logs something regarding the WAN port which indicates a disconnection has occured.

What is the make & model of the modem?

The modem is a Linksys AM200, and for what I know is one of the best modem. Too bad is not more available in the market :frowning: The router is a D-Link DIR-655.

I checked the router log, but is so long that I can’t find nothing useful.

However, I know for sure when a disconnection happen because after re-connection I get a different IP. In the weekend there were at least 3 disconnections, I have no idea if more, but three for sure.

Today I called again tech support, and after being insulted and menaced (yes, I was really menaced :doh: ), the bottom line is: “shut up and thank us if you still have a connection”… I’m disgusted :Z:Z:Z:Z:Z

[QUOTE=geno888;2634945]Today I called again tech support, and after being insulted and menaced (yes, I was really menaced :doh: ), the bottom line is: “shut up and thank us if you still have a connection”… I’m disgusted :Z:Z:Z:Z:Z[/QUOTE]
That’s out of order! :eek::a

The normal advice would be to demand to speak to the manager, but maybe that was the manager. :rolleyes::a

Can you take your business elsewhere?

Too bad there are no real alternatives to telecom here :frowning:

All cables are their property, so a different provider will use their cables anyway; I could only get the same or a worst connection for a higher price :frowning:

I know for sure because previously I was with a different provider, but when prices became too high I decide to go with telecom. It worked for years without any problem, when suddenly something happened 3 weeks ago. I still have no idea what happened, but they seems to not care at all… they only want bills paid and if you dare to ask for what you pay then you get insults ans menaces :doh:

I’ve found a manual for the Linksys AM200 (here) and on page 21 (page 26 of the PDF) it indicates that the modem has a log, although it appears to record the internet traffic rather than the operation of the modem.

The Linksys AM200 reportedly used the Texas Instruments AR7 chipset. This had a good reputation for working on lines with a very low SNRM (signal to noise ratio margin), but it became notorious here in the UK 5 years ago for repeatedly disconnecting the line. The problem was triggered when there was some extra noise on the line (such as water damage - there were floods that year) and it was supposedly an issue between the chipset & BT’s exchange equipment. The solution was to change your router, preferably for one based on a Broadcom chipset (such as my Speedtouch ST585 v6).

IIRC, it was a UK only problem and there were no issues in other countries, but it does sound like you may have a similar problem. Can you borrow another router or modem to try which doesn’t use the AR7 chipset?

Thanks a lot for your help :slight_smile:

I think that the linksys is not the real problem. I was using previously a D-link DSL-320B modem, but it was more unstable than then linksys.

I don’t know what chipset has the D-link :frowning:

One other option you could try is running an application that continuously pings a host, e.g. on a 5 second interval, where a time log is kept of successful/failed pings.

From a quick check, there’s a freeware utility “Performance Pinging” which does this. This is a portable app also. :slight_smile:

To configure the utility, just give it a host to ping (e.g. www.google.it), tick the “Write log” checkbox, set the interval to 5 seconds and click the “Continuous pinging” button. Leave this to run for 24 hours and open the log file it created in the folder the utility is located. Search the file for “Request time out”.

An occasional request time-out is usually fine especially if there is a lot of traffic on the line, but if you see 3 or more in a row, this is a pretty good indication of an outage.

Thanks for suggestion :slight_smile:

My concern is what if google servers notice so many pings from me? :eek: Maybe I’ll get a DDOS attack that will kill my computer :doh:

I use to wonder about this also, but I don’t think it’s an issue after seeing some utilities that constantly pinged Google as a way of keeping the Internet up, e.g. some 3G ISPs disconnect if there’s no traffic over a certain period of time.

Otherwise, use Telecom’s website hostname. If someone from Telecom contacts you over these pings (which I highly doubt), well at least you’ll have a technical contact to direct your frustration back at. :smiley:

I can’t see an end in this thing anytime soon… last night I had again disconnections and when modem was able to reconnect I got not more than 1 Mbps speed :Z

There is a lot of noise in my line, but I have no idea where exactly. I tried to change ADSL filters, I tried to change router, I tried to disconnect the telephone, but nothing worked. Tech support seems to have no intention to further investigate this, unless… I pay a lot of money for a technician coming at my house to “test” the line :doh:

Maybe I’m wrong, but this seems to me a felony called extortion :a

Do you have more than one phone socket in your house? And is there a master socket which marks the end of the phone company’s line & the start of your internal wiring?

Ideally to prove that it is the phone company’s line at fault, and not your internal wiring, you need to disconnect [I]all[/I] of your internal wiring and connect the DSL modem directly to the point which marks the end of the phone company’s line. This should be done without using filter (which is unnesscesary & can introduce noise if faulty or crappy).

Is there any way you can try this?

Here in the UK this is easy (but I suspect much more difficult in Italy). Since the early '80s BT has fitted the NTE5 master socket with a removable faceplate. All of the internal wiring is connected to the back of the faceplate, which can be removed by the user to disconnect the internal wiring and expose a test socket which marks the end of BT’s line. If there is still a fault then it must be with BT’s line (or your router/modem).

This is a very good website for ADSL information: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/troubleshooting.htm

RouterStats is a piece of software which can monitor the noise level on your line over a period of time. It doesn’t mention your Linksys AM200, but it works with a number of other AR7-based routers and may be worth a try (make sure it is directed to the IP address of your modem, not the router).

I prefer DSL-Modem Tool which can show a lot more information, but there is no version for AR7 routers.

At the moment the only thing I was able to notice is that problems happen for the most overnight. During the day the connection seems rock stable :doh: