BAH! Help please! Sony DW-D56A issues

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Sony DW-D56A. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hey guys! First of all I want to say that I searched the forums for this problem and tried several things from it before posting, but I have not had any luck finding what I need or either I just didnt search in the right area.

Anyway, I have a Sony VGN-A690 laptop with the DW-D56A burner in it. It has been working fine but all of a sudden will not burn DVD-roms anymore. It will burn a CD and it will also play a DVD and read DVD roms.

I have tried a few things I read about here such as removing the upper and lower limits, using the bios flash too to “reset learnt media”, and I have tried DVD+r and DVD-r and nothing has worked.

I have also removed the drive in device manager and had it reinstall on boot up which didnt work. I also switched from Nero 6 to the Nero 9 demo and that didnt work. Both versions of Nero will see what type of disc is in the drive and show it as empty but it changes the max record speed to 2x or 2.4X even though it is an 8x drive. It does this no matter what type of DVD media I try to use.

One thing I do notice that is funny is that my device manager shows two primary and two secondary IDE channels under the IDE ATA/ATAPi controllers section. I removed both secondary ones, but the reboot reinstalled both of them.

I also had to send this laptop in to Sony for repair about two years ago and they replaced the DVD drive although that was not the reason I sent it to them (it was working fine when the hard drive crashed). I asked them to send the drive back with the laptop because I didnt think anything was wrong with it, so anyway, now that I have this problem I even put that old drive that Sony replaced back in the computer and it works just like the one I am having the problem with. I put the newest one back in the computer since the one that sony replaced did not work.

Also, I tried that "click to dvd software that comes with the sony laptops and it did not work either.

I have noticed for the past 6 months or so that this drive will sometimes take a while to finally read a disc (especially DVD’s) where my other computer drives will pick them right up.

A few questions I would like to have someone that knows about this kind of stuff answer are these…

1. Since the drive can burn CD’s and Read DVD’s, can the drive still be bad? I hate to spend the money buying a new one just to have the same problem.

2. Are there any hardware/software settings that could have gotten changed that could cause this problem, if so, what and where are they adn what should the be set too? (side note, I did go to administrative tools/services/ and set the IMAPI CD burning stuff to every combination of start/stop/auto/manual that I could find. It is currently set to manual where is where I found it. I think the software starts it)

3. Is there a software tool somewhere that will bypass the OS and tools and check all the functions of the drive? If so, where?

4. Are these drives a piece of crap? and if so, is there a different brand/type that will fit right in place in the laptop? How much and where can I get one?

Sorry for the long first post, but I wanted to give as much info as I can up front. It seems like a lot of people have trouble with this particular drive. I just dont see how it could be bad if it can burn CD’s but I dont really understand them.

Thanks in advance for your help, it is greatly appriciated.

Thanks,
Van

More info…

I just checked this some more, and it will burn a dual layer DVD without any problems. Now that I think about it, the first dual layer disc I burned was the last thing burned on it before giving this problem. Could burning the DL disc somehow have stuck it in a mode where it will not burn DVD?

I would appriciate any help I could get on this.

Thanks

Another note that may help, I did run out of DVD’s anf got new ones when this problem started but I also tried others to see if that was the problem. The discs I am trying are:

Memorex DVD-R 16X
Memorex DVD+R 16X
Starlogic DVD+R 4x

Can anyone confirm that these do not work well with the Sony drive?

Problem fixed finally! It wound up being the discs. Evidently I was just unlucky on the three types I had here to try. I decided to try one more type before I bought a new drive, so I picked up some HP brand 4X and they work fine.

Is there a list showing what discs work good with the sony drive by any chance? Also, what are good replacement drives for these if they go bad? Does anyone make a newer “lightscribe” drive that will fit in the place of this sony one in a sony VGN-A690 laptop?

[QUOTE=realvanhammer;2160251][qanda]This thread is about the Sony DW-D56A. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hey guys! First of all I want to say that I searched the forums for this problem and tried several things from it before posting, but I have not had any luck finding what I need or either I just didnt search in the right area.

Anyway, I have a Sony VGN-A690 laptop with the DW-D56A burner in it. It has been working fine but all of a sudden [B][B]will not burn DVD-roms anymore.[/B][/B] It will burn a CD and it will also play a DVD and read DVD roms.

Thanks,
Van[/QUOTE]

No burner can burn “DVD-ROM”.

Use reliable & supported media.