Bad time to buy a laptop?

vbimport

Hey i am a senior in high school this year so like many people in my grade i am thinking of getting a laptop for my college years.

However, i remember reading in a few places about how this is “not the time to buya laptop” because a new chip is going to come out that is going to make the old ones obsolete. ( i think the new chip is designed specifically for laptops instead of being a port of a pentium chip so the heat and battery life are large conserns or something)

So i figured i’d just use my desktop the first year and get a laptop the second

Anyways a few people have asked me about more details, and i didnt have them. Does anyone know of any articles i could read about it? or does anyone know about it?

Mainly im curious when the new chip is coming out and when the prices willl be good to buy and what makes the chip so different?

Thanks!

Are you referring to the Centrino? The centrino is designed to use much less power than the P4 but it is significantly slower in performance. It depends what you want from your laptop. I recently purchased a Toshiba Satelite P25 and I am very happy with the P4 performance.

Originally posted by TheNate04
[B]Anyways a few people have asked me about more details, and i didnt have them. Does anyone know of any articles i could read about it? or does anyone know about it?

Mainly im curious when the new chip is coming out and when the prices willl be good to buy and what makes the chip so different?
[/B]

Methinks it’s either centrino or the older transmeta crusoe.

The centrino designed from intel has been around for about 12months.

The transmeta crusoe, a low power chip has been around for about 30months.

Either way, every day is a bad to to buy anything to do with computers. There’s always something new coming out that obsoletes your PC by the end of the week, if not before you get it home :wink:

Either way, laptop batteries last approx 2.5-3hrs, with moderate CPU use, and you can get extended batteries for upto 6-9 hrs :expressionless: