Bad Taiyo Yuden (Plextor) Media/Bad Mitsui Media

vbimport

I recently bought a 50 spindle of Plextor (Taiyo Yuden) 48x discs believing them to be of great quality. I burned a fair few audio cd’s with them and still have about half left.

So anyway I got a Lite-On burner and decided to check the c1/c2 errors on my various discs. The results with the TY were a bit of a surprise!

c1/c2 errors all over the place. This didn’t matter whether they were burned at 16x/24x on my Teac W524E (as most were) or at 16x/24x/32x/40x/48x on my Lite-On 52246S (actually - Sony CRX220A1).

I guess I have a bad batch?

For anybody interested, they were bought from HAC (www.hacshop.gr) in Athens.

Interestingly I have some Mitsui Gold Ultra 700MB 24x discs that I also bought from there and they show similar behaviour, however it’s not all of the discs like it is with the TY.

Just FYI, Mitsui Gold Ultra II 650MB 24x gave consistently good results, in fact the only brand of media I have used and check so far that does.

I’ve checked Samsung (Prodisc), Intenso (Prodisc), Plextor (Taiyo Yuden), various Mitsui, Silver Circle (Prodisc), SKC.

The Prodisc manufactured discs have c2 errors as well but much fewer than with the TY discs (except in the case of SilverCircle discs). If I lower my drives read speed to 40x though, the Prodisc c2 errors dissapear but the TY is still pretty bad.

Could there be a rational explanation?

P.S my drive is well cooled with an 8cm fan blowing on each side.

Cheers,
-dave

You said you burnt audio on the disks. Audio is always advised to burn on 74’ cds (80’ cds are not standard for audio even if they work perfect for you - they work for me by the way). Also you should make sure that that the source cd is read correctly (no on the fly copying of music,use EAC or at least try 10 read retries at nero and read it from the cdr device).Also speed no more than 24x for writing audio might help.

I had few problems in the past with Mitsui (Gold & SilverGold) but still believe they are generally very good.New Mame cds seem a bit worse quality than Mitsui (same company in reality) but this is not a surprise since Europe doesnt get always first hand cdrs .By first hand i mean the cds from the best factories of the same brand.They can be different even from one country to another.For example Princo cdrs are very good in Germany and very bad in Greece!

After these said and assuming your cdr device is compatible with the cdrs (last firmware?)maybe you got a bad bunch or the package was abused in the transfer or… i don’t know.Nothing is 100% foolproof in technology.

Your burning speed could also have a effect on the results you have with a lot off errors.Personally I always burn at 4x´s since my burner could not burn at a lower speed./gs

I agree with “arkham’s” main post.
-Also check your PC hardware config compatibilities (IDE-HD-mobo)
-Try use onother burn software while setup your windows
settings as well ,plus defragment ! -Clean Registry -Reboot !
-Try burn audio cd in different speed < 24x .(In my tests have no errors in 80’ CDR@24X with 18songs using “MusicMatch” software in both Sony 195 oc LTR48125W & Sony 220 oc LTR 52246S )

You said you burnt audio on the disks. Audio is always advised to burn on 74’ cds (80’ cds are not standard for audio even if they work perfect for you - they work for me by the way). Also you should make sure that that the source cd is read correctly (no on the fly copying of music,use EAC or at least try 10 read retries at nero and read it from the cdr device).Also speed no more than 24x for writing audio might help.

I have to write them to 80" cdr’s because the source cd is 80" (or at least more than 74"). I use my cdr drive to read the discs, I also use purely EAC for ripping audio cd’s.

I had few problems in the past with Mitsui (Gold & SilverGold) but still believe they are generally very good.New Mame cds seem a bit worse quality than Mitsui (same company in reality) but this is not a surprise since Europe doesnt get always first hand cdrs.

I’ve noticed that I’ve only had 1 or 2 Mitsui Gold Ultra II discs fail and there may be explanations for that (excess heat, bad handling, etc) whereas the “Mitsui Advanced Media” discs I have, “Gold Ultra” and “Golden Dye” have almost all got c2 errors. I believe this isn’t coincidence!

By first hand i mean the cds from the best factories of the same brand.They can be different even from one country to another.For example Princo cdrs are very good in Germany and very bad in Greece!

I wonder if this has got anything to do with storage conditions. I doubt people store their cdr’s in nice cool warehouses, especially in the Greek summer. That can’t help things at all.

It seems weird to me that the Mitsui & TY’s I’ve had problems with have come from the same store but Mitsui and TY’s from another place have been perfectly fine…

-dave

For 80’ source cd i guess you had no other choice except maybe overburning.

I also believe it’s not coincident with Mitsui and MAME.

Storage conditions,the factory where the cds were made and where the store got them from might have played a role.Personally i wouldn’t buy from the same shop even if it was purely bad luck.

True, not all people handle cds properly and heat ia an important factor.