Bad review?

vbimport

I am considering a PX716A but after seeing this review I am a little concerned.

I’d like to hear your opinions.

Thanks,
Alex.

This drive can really be this bad!! I have a PX-716SA #0203 made in China in January '05 and it has the poor write quality to Verbatim 16X DVD+R media problem. Most people have had luck with the TLA #02XX series, but my guess is that quality control may be an issue–in other words, too many #02XX drives have this problem, and many people may not know about it. My drive was bought from Newegg.com and will likely be RMD’d.

Plextor seems to know about it, otherwise they would not have released an TLA#03 :wink:

My TLA 0203 has been performing flawlessly since I bought it in January, but I guess time will tell. I haven’t encountered any of the problems people have described here, or in the review you posted. In fact, the drive loves both Verbatim + and - 16x media. Of course, that said, I don’t really give a rat’s ass if the speed ever reaches a sustained 16x vs. 12x, so I haven’t paid much attention. All I know is that I get excellent quality burns on full 4.7 GB media under 6.5 minutes … that’s fine by me. If you absolutely must have sustatined 16x performance, and the difference between 7 minutes and 6 minutes is enough to drive you crazy, you might want to avoid the 716a.

IMHO the reviewer had little or no idea of what he was doing. Have a look at page four of the review “CD Read Test”. The reviewer states “With a pressed CD, it was able to read the disc above 40x but fell short of 48x.” Same for recordable media. However the disc used by the reviewer was only 68:04:24 in size, instead of a full 74.00:00. It is obvious that full speed cannot be reached on a partially empty disk.

As a read test is truly the most simple thing to do I really doubt the quality of his other results obtained in the test.

Addendum: I just realized his DAE-Test entirely bases on CD Recordables. Doing a read test on a recordable not just ‘tests’ the reading capability of a drive it also shows the recording capability of the drive used to write the discs. (Actually the reviewer uses this method to test the writing capability of the 716a). Now the reviewer does not give any information on the recordable discs used, except brand and speed rating. I’d rather like to know whether the burn was a solid one or whether this was some catastrophic 52x-or-bust jobs.

Man I have to stop reading this review in debt or i’ll want to strangle that guy :slight_smile:

Maybe he was too lazy to burn a full CD for that test :slight_smile:

His conclusions don’t sound like both my Plextor PX-716A’s at all. He dislikes PlexTools while I love it personally. I’ve had excellent burns with DVD+R media and if you read through this forum you will find that a lot of other people have as well, with various TLA numbers. I think the reviewer may have received a broken drive or has a problem with his system. Another thing that I find odd in this review is that he tested the write quality of his DVDR burns with a Lite-On recorder and Nero CD-DVD Speed. Why didn’t he use PlexTools to confirm his results?

Another thing that I find odd in this review is that he tested the write quality of his DVDR burns with a Lite-On recorder and Nero CD-DVD Speed. Why didn’t he use PlexTools to confirm his results?

IMHO the reviewer had little or no idea of what he was doing.
Sufficient explanation imho
He dislikes PlexTools while I love it personally.
Well THAT is certainly not something that makes a review bad. There is plenty to complain about in that “review”, but not THAT

True :iagree:

Great. Just bought a 716a from Best Buy, that is a 0203…should I return it and wait for them to get the 0304 in?

Actually I think his testing method is ‘broken’. If you want to test something, you’ll need a reference to compare to (for example the 280-limit in PIF-tests). However this reviewer uses a lot of ‘variables’ to base his tests on (see my addendum above). Obviously this affects the results in a negative way.

No one except Plextor will be able to tell you what the difference between the different hardware revisions are. Also a newer hardware revision does not necessarily mean, that the older one was ‘broken’ in some way. If you check this forum you’ll find plenty of examples where TLA#01 or 02 drives show equal results with the actual Firmware (1.04).

More likely Plextor has (again) changed the production process of the 716a to lower the cost, since competition is fierce in the optical drives market. This may range from actual design change to a simple switch between different supliers of parts. Seen that way, an earlier TLA might even be more solidly built that a more recent one.

To sum it up: If your current drive works OK there is no reason to worry about getting a newer TLA version.

Of course, for a second opinion of this Plextor drive there are loads of other reviews to check out: our own version, CDRLabs.com, CDRInfo, just to name a few.