Bad quality scan, low jitter

i just got my new TYG02 disc today. i was doing a couple burn test. PIE would have been good but the 99 spike at the beginning. i dont know about that PIF clump there around 4 Gig, PIF was around 300 until then. :frowning:

whats with the low jitter and how it drops there at the high PIF area?

Burner: 115D 1.18 [MCSE Patch]

Scanner: 20A1P @ 20A4P 9P59 [eoht]

Media: TYG02 Taiyo Yuden Premium 8x DVD-R

Write speed: 8x

Scan speed: 8x

here is another one

General Information
 Drive: ATAPI   DVD A  DH20A4P  
 Firmware: 9P59
 Disc: DVD-R (TYG02)
 Selected speed: 4 X
Recorder information
 Drive: PIONEER DVD-RW  DVR-115D
 Firmware: 1.18
 Write speed: 7 X
PI errors
 Maximum: 10
 Average: 0.44
 Total: 7882
PI failures
 Maximum: 3
 Average: 0.01
 Total: 1460
PO failures: n/a
Jitter
 Maximum:  6.5 %
 Average: 6.07 %
Scanning Statistics
 Elapsed time: 15:49
 Number of samples: 124888
 Average scanning interval: 1.15 ECC
 Glitches removed: 0

ill use some disc from the middle of the batch. to see if it is just the first discs are bad.

ok i transfered some of the disc to another spindle and burned one from about 3/4 away down the spindle.

i took a screen capture just before the 4 gig mark to show how good these disc are scanning and there is just a bad section at the 4 gig mark.

too bad :sad: these seem to be just beautiful, and the jitter keeps getting better with each scan. :frowning: then you get hit by a PIF clump. the disc do not seem to be damaged with a visual inspection. :confused:

General Information
Recorder information
PI errors
 Maximum: 8
 Average: 0.38
 Total: 6853
PI failures
 Total: 741
Jitter
 Maximum:  6.3 %
 Average: 5.89 %
Scanning Statistics
 Number of samples: 124818

should i try to return the discs?

The scans are well within spec, and the last scan is lovely, look at the low jitter.

If playback is fine (and a TRT on a non-LiteOn/Samsung drive is nice and smooth), I really wouldn’t worry.

Scans aren’t everything, there’s other factors that go into making up a good burn/disc. :slight_smile:

Edit: and as you can see by the first scan. 8x scanning on what was an A1P can give strange results (look at the first PIE spike).

As Arachne said, those scans look good.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2121319]The scans are well within spec, and the last scan is lovely, look at the low jitter.[/QUOTE]

that jitter is awesome. as the title states. :bigsmile:

just for reference i beleive the actual specs to be 200 PIE and 8 PIF [with ignore a single glitch spike]. please correct me if i am wrong. :slight_smile: i would really like to know.

If playback is fine (and a TRT on a non-LiteOn/Samsung drive is nice and smooth), I really wouldn’t worry.

havent burned a video to this batch as of yet. and i dont trust my 115D as a reader [even for TRT ive had strange results]

Scans aren’t everything, there’s other factors that go into making up a good burn/disc. :slight_smile:

agreed :iagree:

Edit: and as you can see by the first scan. 8x scanning on what was an A1P can give strange results (look at the first PIE spike).

:eek: i know :eek:

well i actually ordered 200 [100 @ 2 spindles] ill grab a couple from the other spindle and see if the same 4 gig PIF clump is present.

if so im inclined to believe its shipping damage. as the spindles were received laying down. my last order was 3 100 spindles and were received standing up. sure wish they were shrink wrapped and not cake box. :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=troy512;2121337]
just for reference i beleive the actual specs to be 200 PIE and 8 PIF [with ignore a single glitch spike]. please correct me if i am wrong. :slight_smile: i would really like to know.[/QUOTE]

Not on a LiteOn/MTK chip drive. Theoretical maximums for LiteOn scans are PIE = 280 and PIF = 4 :wink:

(This article by Dee-27 may be an interesting read for you) :slight_smile:

BTW, a disc can have elevated PIE/PIF and still have nice jitter. I’ve had a few oversped discs show a good, steady jitter but increase in PIE/PIF. They usually still worked unless I just oversped too much for that particular disc model. I’ve also had discs with physical flaws do the same thing and still work perfectly fine.

In you’re case, I’d say your batch is still very good. I wouldn’t worry much about the increase at all as long as they work. :slight_smile:

thanks for the move whom ever it was. :slight_smile:

Albert, thanks for another confirmation that the disc are very good. :slight_smile:

i do however beleive that i would need many more good disc confirmations to really make me think so. if just one person said they were crap i would beleive them. thats just how disappointed i am, i know they are good but just wanted perfect. :slight_smile:

Results don’t look overly worrying at all. Could be anything, you sure there is absolutely nothing on the discs in those spots?

Either way, scans look nice, don’t be too worried. Do a TRT with the Pioneer to see if it slows down or stops near the PIF spots. If it goes through fine, nothing to worry about IMO.

Awesome jitter, I wish my discs scanned like those. If it TRTs well, its a keeper. :smiley:

[QUOTE=troy512;2121503]i do however beleive that i would need many more good disc confirmations to really make me think so. if just one person said they were crap i would beleive them. thats just how disappointed i am, i know they are good but just wanted perfect. :)[/QUOTE]

Just what exactly makes you want to think they’re crap? I can understand you wanting perfect discs–don’t we all–but I want to hear why YOU think they’re crap. I want YOUR opinion on just what error limits [max, average] you would want so you’d think they weren’t crap, and what error limits would make them perfect for you. Then I can get a better feel of what to tell you, what kind of posts to point you to, etc, to give you a better idea of what should actually matter and when you should actually worry.

Could be anything, you sure there is absolutely nothing on the discs in those spots?

not that i can see. :slight_smile:

Awesome jitter, I wish my discs scanned like those. If it TRTs well, its a keeper.

ill find out

Just what exactly makes you want to think they’re crap?

please look at post #4. i have taken a screen shot of the scan just before the 4 gig mark. so im sitting here watching this sweet scan progress along and the entire time im thinking “yes i scored some awesome TYG02’s im gonna love burning these.” then the PIF clump hits and my heart drops. :frowning: ok no big deal right, that was just a bad disc. so i do 4 more burns taking disc from different sections of the spindle. each one gives me this high but i know there is going to be the crash at the end. :frowning: so i guess over all its not the disc which are bad just the ending is sloppy. :slight_smile:

here is another scan, this time from the second spindle about 10 disc down from the top. and again the PIF TOTAL was 56 just before hitting the 4 gig mark.

i cant beleive this. oh well ill get over it :rolleyes:. thanks for the moral support everyone. :slight_smile:

edit//i forgot to turn off BOINC manager for the burn, but turned it off for the TRT and Scan.

General Information
Recorder information
 Write speed: 8 X
PI errors
 Maximum: 14
 Average: 0.49
 Total: 8817
PI failures
 Total: 1069
Jitter
 Maximum:  6.6 %
 Average: 6.08 %
Scanning Statistics
 Elapsed time: 15:51
 Number of samples: 124675

Could be your IDE cable, switch it out with a new one. Could be your PSU,switch it out with a new one. Could be both shrugs

There does seem to be problems in the same spot. It’s not massive but there may be a very small internal defect in there. You sure these are premium TYG02 and not just Value Line or something that have been sold as premium.

Either way, the errors are still far too low to cause major errors. I had a batch of TYG03, two batches actually, and each spindle gave errors in the same spots. Kinda similar to your results, except more errors all around. It didn’t matter what writer I used or what speed I used. I averaged about 2000-3000PIF for each disc.

Does using an alternate drive to write the discs make any difference to the gravity of the defect, as reflected by the scans?

You sure these are premium TYG02 and not just Value Line or something that have been sold as premium.

DVD-R47ZZ100SB
GG007068

im sure they are the same disc ive been ordering for most of this year. total ive went through 500 of these same TYG02’s from supermediastore. this last order will make it 700 received this year.
http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden-silver-thermal-8x-dvd-r-media-200.html

Does using an alternate drive to write the discs make any difference to the gravity of the defect, as reflected by the scans?

i was actually just doing a Lite-On burn. :slight_smile: just before i took the first screen shot the PIF was only 28.

Lite-On 20A1P @ 20A4P 9P59 [eoht]
8x burn, 4x scan
SB - On, FHT - Off, OS - Off, OHT - On

edit//this disc was from the second spindle

General Information
Recorder information
PI errors
 Maximum: 13
 Average: 0.68
 Total: 12235
PI failures
 Maximum: 2
 Total: 1294
Jitter
 Maximum:  8.2 %
 Average: 7.41 %
Scanning Statistics
 Number of samples: 124891

Eh, I would order some more discs and just use these “bad” ones for “unimportant” stuff, if you’re still worried. :wink: