Bad Power Supply or Other?

vbimport

I built my system with all new parts including a new Hercules 400w Green power supply. It worked great for about 6-7 months then it shut off on its own one day and would not turn back on. I purchased a new Hercules 500w Green power supply and replaced it. It worked for about 2-3 weeks and has shut off on it own again and will not turn back on. I have noticed that the fans “jerk” when I press the power button and there are very tiny lights on the motherboard lit up but nothing else happens. I have unplugged the power supply from everything in the case except the motherboard and still only the little “jerk” in the fans and tiny lights. I would like to know if this is a common error that can be corrected without purchasing a new power supply. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Since two PSUs (both el cheapos) that I had went out in the same way, that would be top of my list of suspects - any chance you can try it in another PC?

Added to that, the comments, and recommended PSU lists on various forums, that I found online weren’t exactly complimentary of Hercules PSU.

Hopefully others will chime in, with other possible culprits. :wink:

My guess would be the cheap PSU also, I would recommend spending a little more up front and save yourself the headaches.

I have had very good luck with the Roswell and the Cooler Masters

[QUOTE=bean55;2517995]I have had very good luck with the Roswell [/QUOTE]

Glad someone has had good luck with the Rosewell PS’s every one that I’ve ever bought
has gone south in a few months. If you want a PS that you can count on then spend just
a little bit more and get a Corsair or a SeaSonic PS. I have had my 620 Watt Corsair PS
for just over 2 years and it is still as stong as the day it was installed on the voltage rails. :clap: :iagree:

It seems like a bad PS because changing it fixed the problem but It could also be a bad PS connector on the mobo.

My mobos have a little green LED. It is driven by the standby 5 volt power that the PS delivers to the mobo whenever the PS is plugged in (and switched on if it has a switch on the back). The little green LED should be on even when you “power down” the computer from the front panel power button.

I only use Seasonic. I have 4 S-12s. They are 330 or 380 watts. Some are 8 years old, or more. All are going strong. Cool and quiet. I don’t use high power graphics cards.

Don’t know if anyone else likes hipro or not, I have one in mine, it’s still going, since 2004!

mar81018, can you give us your PC specs so we can recommend an inexpensive quality PSU. :slight_smile:

edit: here’s a good one to get, $40 free shipping, Antec Basiq BP430 430W.