"bad_pool_header"

Hello, all…
I had made several changes to my sys, all at once; big mistake.
I had installed a new scanner…no problem.
A week later, I found myself installing a Seagate 160GB external, AND a LG Super Multi GSA-E10L.
I got checkdisk. I got mysterious, spontaneous reboots. I got a BSOD, “bad_pool_header”. OneCare demanded I back up my harddrive, but said I must connect an external device to do so…it was already connected!
I took the external back for a refund.
I began a process of disconnecting my other new toys, starting with the new burner, to see if I could isolate what was causing the BSOD, “bad_pool_header”. It was the burner!
Now that the burner has been disconnected, I can surf with no problem. However, I want to use the burner.
How do I correct “bad_pool_header”?

Reconnect the burner and let Windows install it again. It sounds like you might have had a IRQ conflict when you installed the scanner.

Here is the info I recieve on the BSOD when I connect the LG GSA-E10L Super-Multi combo unit:
>A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent >damage to your computer.
>bad_pool_header
>If this is the first time you have seen this stop error screen, restart your >computer; if this screen appears again, follow these steps.
>Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If >this is a new install, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any >windows updates you might need. If problems discontinue, disable or >remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory >options including caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to >remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select >advanced start up options, and then select safe mode.
>TECHNICAL INFORMATION
>***:0X00000019(0X00000020,0X8313A888,0X8313A8C8,0X0A040001)
>bEGINNING DUMP OF PHYSICAL MEMORY
>PHYSICAL MEMORY DUMP COMPLETE
>CONTACT YOUR SYS ADMIN OR TECHNICAL SUPPORT GROUP FOR FURTHER >ASSISTANCE
Any advice before I begin the above?

I tried…

1. simply reconnecting the burner…no luck (BSOD)
  2. uninstalling Roxio Easy CD creator…prompted by pop-up…
  3. uninstalling all software accompanying the GSA-E10L…
  4. reinstalling the software…
    Still, BSOD (“bad_pool_header”)
    I saw someone suggest to another newbie that the processor got too hot when attempting to run the burner. Could this be my problem?

Diskbliss, please don’t start new threads for the same problem. They have been merged now.

Otherwise, you are not giving us much help with the problem since you don’t say what your hardware specifications are, nor what is your OS. Please also list your peripheral devices by name and model number, and their connection method (USB, FireWire, SCSI etc).

Sorry…
Burner: LG Super-Multi, GSA-E10L; USB 2.0; 16x external, DVD/CD rewriter w/ Lightscribe
Pentium 4, 1.60 GHz
640 gigs RAM
5.19gigs HD space
The drive was disconnected w/o using hardware safety remove…could this be the problem?

It is bad to remove any usb device without first stopping the device drivers. That doesn’t necessarily mean that your device is bad. You can go into control panel, remove you cd/dvd devices, remove your usb devices, then reboot and let windows auto detect everything. Then try connecting the device again. If that fails have a friend try it on their pc. If it still doesnt work, there must be a problem with the device.

Thanks, harley2ride…