Bad Nero Scandisk results, Excellent CD Quality results?

I just traded verbatim drive in for a Cendyne at Officemax. It was the $9 deal last week. The Verbatim was a BenQ drive and basically it sucked. The Cendyne drive I got last night is a Samsung SW-248F.

I burned 3 CD’s last night using TY Cd’s. I checked all of them with Scandisk as well as CD’s I had previously burned with my Lite-On 32123S Oc’d to 40125S.

Scandisk shows almost 100% damage on every CD (including CD’s burned with my Lite-On), but when I do a CD-quality test, there are NO errors at all.

Does anyone know why this is happening?

Since everything is reading correctly I guess I shouldn’t worry about it, but it seems odd because most people who post their results of scandisk on Lite-On’s or Samsung drives report 100% good sectors. What gives?

Edit: I did burn that particular disc at 4x to reduce the chances of errors.

I did burn that particular disc at 4x to reduce the chances of errors.

Burning below 12x increases errors, not decreases. You appear to have an issue with CDSpeed. As far as I know, Scandisc and Quality check measure the same information, which is what is reported by the drive…

Originally posted by rdgrimes

Burning below 12x increases errors, not decreases. You appear to have an issue with CDSpeed. As far as I know, Scandisc and Quality check measure the same information, which is what is reported by the drive…

Huh, somebody told me slowing the burn speed down decreased errors not increased. Oh well, I’ll take your word for it.

My first thought was that the software was the problem due to the conflicting data. That’s good to know. I’m happy with the new drive then.

Thanks!

Burning below 12x increases errors, not decreases.

Didn t know about that too, how come?

… i guess that would mean that a 4x varirec burn of an audio disc would be full of errors …

AlexNoe and I have both demonstrated increased error rates on high-speed media in high speed drives when burning at 8x and 4x. nothing like what’s posted here, but significant.

AlexNoe and I have both demonstrated increased error rates on high-speed media in high speed drives when burning at 8x and 4x. nothing like what’s posted here, but significant.
Really interested in it, any links?

I’ve been waiting to use this one for a while…
tried the search button?
sorry, had to do it, couldn’t help myself.
Seriously, try it yourself and post back. Alex posted his test in one thread and I posted mine in another, I think they’re both in the media forum. Alex’s was an 8x test that had 4x the C1 error rate as high speed, mine was similar, and at 4x.

Will do Sir … !