Bad McAfee update disables computers worldwide

vbimport

I just posted the article Bad McAfee update disables computers worldwide.

Something went seriously wrong with an anti-virus update from McAfee, and now corporate computers around the world running Windows XP have shut down.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/bad-mcafee-update-disables-computers-worldwide-28778/](http://www.myce.com/news/bad-mcafee-update-disables-computers-worldwide-28778/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Who needs viruses when your virusscanner will destroy your system files for you eh? :slight_smile:

“moderate to significant performance issues”

what the heck!! performance issue?? it mess up the computer completely.

just love stoties that hook you as if all pc’s are affected only to find it affects smaller segment

i wonder how much compensation they are gonna have to pay out over this cock up. always thought that this and Norton were the worst ant-virus programs available. this proves it to me.

Shut down the computer? I should be so lucky. It corrupted the system so badly that, after trying innumerable fixes - many suggested by the supplier, the ONLY option remaining is for me to re-install the operating system, which I know will take all of one day, and maybe more. Fortunately, I have a recent backup of critical files. I have written a polite request for compensation to the company…

The protector becomes the destroyer… Bummer for all who have to deal with the harm caused by this.

Replaced the McAfee that came with my business laptop with Kaspersky. only a couple of months ago!

I haven’t used McAfee in 10 years. I prefer NOD32 or Symantec Endpoint Protection. However, I’ve been hearing good things about Microsoft Security Essentials, so I’ll give that a go next.

With the amount of false flagging I’ve seen lately from various virus checkers, I was wondering when a time would come that it one would flag a critical system file. For example, every time my work colleague carries out an exam, she has to disable AVG as it keeps claiming the testing software has a trojan (while other AVs find no issue). Nod32 occasionally flags the SIW utility as an infection and the same with the setup file for ExactAudioCopy as adware.

[QUOTE=DukeNukem;2512396]I haven’t used McAfee in 10 years. I prefer NOD32 or Symantec Endpoint Protection. However, I’ve been hearing good things about Microsoft Security Essentials, so I’ll give that a go next.[/QUOTE]

I’ve used Microsoft Security Essentials on my PCs and recommended it to friends and so far had no issue with it. It definitely does not hog the system as much as McAfee or Norton on low spec PCs such as atom-based and netbooks. As a free virus checker, it’s also the only one I know of that is not nagware, i.e. bringing up notices like “(AV) is about to expire! Limited offer: Upgrade to our professional version for only $xx now.” with each new version and hiding the free download links.

I currently use Nod32 on my main PC, but I’m probably going to switch to Microsoft’s one once it expires. When I bought Nod32, it was light weight virus checker that claimed to have no noticeable impact on system performance. At that time, I was definitely happy with it on my old AMD socket-A based PC. Ever since v4, it’s quite a CPU hog, taking a long time to scan certain files. For example, it takes 10 seconds to copy the SIW.exe utility from one drive to another on my i5 based PC, due to it taking that long to analyse it in the background. It also interrupts large downloads in Firefox (>50MB) and the only workaround was for me to disable its browser integration.

I use comodo after a bad tim e with trend many false notices had norton for awhile but got tired of bloat. I only use mcafee site adviser but mozila backs it up. mcafee says fix is complex and will tie up the pc’s feel sorry for those businesses don’t they pretest?

I’ve been a long time AVG Free user/supporter, but their “nagware” as Sean describes it is quite annoying. They have a new required upgrade every few months that tries to entice you into buying the pay edition. I think I’ll be switching everything over to Windows Security Essentials too. Been running it on one PC for awhile and have had zero issues with it.

Do any of you guys use Clamwin?

Lmao, MS users have no clue…

[QUOTE=Blu-rayFreak;2512709]I’ve been a long time AVG Free user/supporter, but their “nagware” as Sean describes it is quite annoying. They have a new required upgrade every few months that tries to entice you into buying the pay edition. I think I’ll be switching everything over to Windows Security Essentials too. Been running it on one PC for awhile and have had zero issues with it.[/QUOTE]

do you think MS has finally got it right?

@brasstownjim yes, I think Windows Security Essentials is pretty good. And that’s the general consensus that I get from asking every other person that has used it as well. I think they bought an AntiVirus company to get their software/people, so that’s probably one reason why it works well. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Blu-rayFreak;2512709]I’ve been a long time AVG Free user/supporter, but their “nagware” as Sean describes it is quite annoying. They have a new required upgrade every few months that tries to entice you into buying the pay edition. I think I’ll be switching everything over to Windows Security Essentials too. Been running it on one PC for awhile and have had zero issues with it.[/QUOTE]

I think if you look around in your system, you will find a folder called “notifications” or something like that in the AVG folder under Program Files. If you delete or rename the folder it will kill the upgrade nag notices, at least for awhile. This was a big problem awhile back and there are plenty or forum questions related to this issue when you Google it.

HTH

Kevin