Bad flash tsstcorp ts-632D (Samsung TS-L632D)

[qanda]This thread is about the Samsung TS-L632D. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I tried to update the firmware provided on Dell’s website, but it failed; bad flash. I have an older .BIN file I would like to flash to restore it (hopefully it works), but the computer doesn’t recognize the drive. Is there a way to flash it?

Previously before I flashed it, is this normal? Whenever it reads something that’s unreadable, the DVD drive device would disappear off the system (vanishes from “my computer”, device manager, and disk manager) and lock its doors (tray) until I restart the computer. It should give me an error message saying “cannot read disk, please make sure the disk is…” something along the lines, but it doesn’t.

Will prolonged burning one dvd after another wear it out to the point it has trouble reading/writing discs? I don’t know why but testing these “unreadable” discs on another computer, it says RAW with 0kb free space. What does that mean? I don’t know if this was just my brand new DVD-R’s or the drive itself but everytime I try to burn the next dvd-r, it comes out RAW.

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=brncao;2298229]I tried to update the firmware provided on Dell’s website, but it failed; bad flash. I have an older .BIN file I would like to flash to restore it (hopefully it works), but the computer doesn’t recognize the drive. Is there a way to flash it?[/quote]You may try flashing with plain DOS. There is a DOS flasher available on Dell support website. Search for sfdndos or tsdndos.

Previously before I flashed it, is this normal? Whenever it reads something that’s unreadable, the DVD drive device would disappear off the system
That’s not normal at all. Either there is something wrong with your Windows installation, or the drive is faulty.

I don’t know why but testing these “unreadable” discs on another computer, it says RAW with 0kb free space. What does that mean?
Seems as if your drive just put garbage onto the discs. I guess, warranty has expired, so I’d suggest to replace the drive.
You can try it with another computer, but I guess it won’t work there either.

Michael

After reading the instructions from dell’s site, it says to use a floppy disk which I don’t have. But what I do have is Grub as my bootloader. It’s located on a dedicated boot partition. It is formatted as ext2. Will this alternative method work?

[QUOTE=mciahel;2298299]
That’s not normal at all. Either there is something wrong with your Windows installation, or the drive is faulty.[/quote]

I have Windows 7, but my guts is telling me it’s the dvd burner.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2298299]Seems as if your drive just put garbage onto the discs. I guess, warranty has expired, so I’d suggest to replace the drive.
You can try it with another computer, but I guess it won’t work there either.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Can they actually do that? :open_mouth: Insert a brand new blank disc and then the dvd drive corrupting it without doing anything!?

[QUOTE=brncao;2298327]After reading the instructions from dell’s site, it says to use a floppy disk which I don’t have. But what I do have is Grub as my bootloader. It’s located on a dedicated boot partition. It is formatted as ext2. Will this alternative method work?[/quote]I don’t think so. But you could prepare a bootable USB memory stick with some DOS (MS-DOS or perhaps FreeDOS) on it. That should work.

Can they actually do that? :open_mouth: Insert a brand new blank disc and then the dvd drive corrupting it without doing anything!?
Oh, wait. I have no idea how NT 6.x deals with blank DVD media. That behaviour might be even normal. Or are the blanks useless then (tried with dedicated DVD burning app)?

Michael