Bad drive?

vbimport

just got a new WD7500AARS for a new build. won’t let let windows (XPSP3) start. windows logo shows momentarily and then i get an error message. took the drive out and replaced it with a drive(IDE) from another computer. reformatted and worked fine. is there something i am doing wrong with the new drive? am using a Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H mobo. as the new drive is SATA, i tried plugging in to several of the five ports supplied on the mobo only to get the same results. purchased drive from New Egg. never had any problems with them before. would like to know if there is anything i can try before i send it back

You can set the old ide drive to boot your OS, and also have the newer drive in the PC. After that you can download WD’s utility and check the drive to see if it has any problems.

One more thing you can do is set the the sata controller in ide mode (or compatible) in the bios.

WD’s Utility is also available as DOS version (IIRC even as CD image), so an installed Windows OS is not required. For that check, it is not a bad idea to set the SATA ports to IDE mode.

Edit: Download here: http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=608&lang=en

Michael

[QUOTE=vroom;2596007]You can set the old ide drive to boot your OS, and also have the newer drive in the PC. After that you can download WD’s utility and check the drive to see if it has any problems.

One more thing you can do is set the the sata controller in ide mode (or compatible) in the bios.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the advice. still need the other (ide) drive in the other 'puter.
wonder why the new drive won’t allow boot? tells me it can’t find any hard drive. that’s what makes me wonder if the drive is dead…

Can you see the drive in the bios? If no, try it on another pc, and if that also isnt showing in BIOS, then send it back and get a new one.

[QUOTE=vroom;2596023]Can you see the drive in the bios? If no, try it on another pc, and if that also isnt showing in BIOS, then send it back and get a new one.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I’ll get right on it. glad you guys are there…

just ran across something about people having trouble installing Windows XP in SATA mode.had to do with older os not working with SATA (up to VISTA). anybody heard of this?

Windows XP probably need the sata drivers from your motherboard. But i think that if you set your drive in IDE mode on the BIOS you want have any issues istalling XP. Check your motherboards manual to see how to change the SATA mode.

No problem here loading XP on Sata drives

[QUOTE=bean55;2596072]No problem here loading XP on Sata drives[/QUOTE]If the Sata controller is in IDE mode, or if the Sata controller drivers are provided in the correct manner.

Michael

Went to bios. Standard cmos only shows DVD-ROM, etc. Not seeing hard drive.Went to advanced bios. Hard disk boot priority shows hard drive.
Went to onchip SATA Controller and disabled. Windows started and got up to the part where it tells me it has no hard drives and tells me to select f3 to quit setup. How can it not see hard drive if I am using ‘boot from cd’ ?

You answered your question…
Wrong controller/port used.

[QUOTE=chef;2596178]You answered your question…
Wrong controller/port used.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, chef.

Did you succeed or have you not tried yet?

[QUOTE=chef;2597400]Did you succeed or have you not tried yet?[/QUOTE]

Sorry about the delayed reply. Can you explain to me how I may resolve this problem? Really could use a walk-through… Anybody feeling extremely helpful?

Which mobo, which controller have you used and how is the sata chipset set up in the bios?

[QUOTE=chef;2597485]Which mobo, which controller have you used and how is the sata chipset set up in the bios?[/QUOTE]

If you’re still interested, I could still use a hand. Got tied up with other matters over the last few days, finally have chance to get back to this…
Am using a GYGABYTE GA-MA785GPM-UDS2H(rev.3.3). Have all settings in default. When I turn it on I get a message-‘SATA found in IDE MODE’, and asks if I want to change to AHCI to enable hot plug functionality for the SATA connectors. Left it in IDE MODE because I read somewhere that AHCI MODE is for use with VISTA and Windows 7. I am using the Windows(XP) cd to boot. When it gets to the stage where it says ‘installing Windows’, it stops and tells me it cannot find my hard drive and must quit set up. I go back to bios and the only drive showing is my DVD ROM:confused:. Have placed Western Digital drive from another computer and it works, but it must be used in the other 'puter. The 750GB is an advanced format drive; is this making a difference as the drive from the other computer is not advanced format?

WD Advanced Format drives are specifically optimized for Mac and the latest Windows operating systems such as Windows Vista and Windows 7 with a clean install. Advanced Format Technology is being adopted by WD and other drive manufacturers to increase media format efficiency, thus enabling larger drive capacities.

Using your WD Advanced Format Hard Drive with a Windows Operating System may require you to run the WD Align Windows software utility after you install your operating system or partition and format the drive as a secondary drive. The WD Align software aligns existing partitions on the Advanced Format drive to ensure it provides full performance for certain configurations. (Please see table for configuration details)

If your operating system is either Windows 7 or Vista, WD recommends using the latest Intel driver version 9.6 or later for maximum performance in all situations. Please visit Intel for the latest driver downloads.

Got from there site

http://www.wdc.com/global/products/features/?id=7&language=1

Advanced format seems to be for Vista or Win 7 not XP You would need to reformat the drive.

[QUOTE=bean55;2598402]Got from there site

http://www.wdc.com/global/products/features/?id=7&language=1

Advanced format seems to be for Vista or Win 7 not XP You would need to reformat the drive.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply, bean. Been talking with the peolpe from Western Digital and also Gigabyte. Seems that after trouble shooting with techs from the both of them, they both came up with the same conclusion: bad drive. Really upsetting for me since this drive had been RMA’d once already with New Egg (first drive did the same thing and I requested another one). A rare as it may be, they both seem to have arrived DOA. Talked with customer service at New Egg, and this time am requesting a refund(checked feedbacks, and some one was going for the third try). Thought WD drives would be reliable, but they’re also made by man… Still in need of a WORKING drive. Suggestions?

Guess that’s the drive(s) wouldn’t show in Bios.