Bad disc or drive?

vbimport

Hello. I have a problem :(.
I bought external blu ray burner Samsung SE-506CB and discs RITEK-DR3-000 (dual layer 50GB bds from ritek)

I burned only 28 disc, but only 19 of these is burned sucessfully.
All 9 got some error during burning which make disc unusable. After few damaged, I tried Nero BD Defect management, it quite works, I have better sucess but still sometimes I get strange error, something like “logical unit not ready” which ruin the disc too.

If I burn BD sucesfully, during vertification, 1-3 warnings is normal…

I cant use another burning software like imgburn because imgburn doesnt support BD Defect management like nero and I affraid it will affect in more coasters…

So question is:
May be problem is that my drive is external instead of internal?
Burn internal drives BDs better and reliably than external?
Do you have some experiences to comparsion?

Or problem might be that Ritek discs? I’ll try to buy some verbatims, if I will be sure that issue is not caused by my drive.

Thank you

ImgBurn can sort of support BD Defect Management, but I can’t remember how to enable it at the moment. EDIT: there’s a setting somewhere in ImgBurn for that. A quote from http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?/topic/19688-imgburn-bd-r-defect-management/:

Try unchecking the ‘BD-R Verify Not Required’ box in the settings.
… the option is shown under the “Write” tab in the settings, as shown here: http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?act=findpost&pid=65055

ANYWAY, do the discs fail at around 50% of the burn?

Im not sure if around 50%, but I think rather no than yes.
I think on random percentage…

If I turn on defect management in nero, number of fails significantly decreases but sometimes around 99-100% I get error like “logical unit not ready” or something like that and burning is failed…

about that setting, you post… I think that’s not same than nero defect management. Nero DM slow burning about 50%, I already tried that ‘BD-R Verify Not Required’ and it burn at normal speed.
Check this:

that people talk about the same thing, here is quotation:

Changing that option manipulates a flag (funnily enough, called ‘Verify Not Required’) in every ‘Write’ command (see MMC specs), nothing more.

It’s probably not the same thing as Nero’s ‘Defect Management’.

To me, ‘Defect Management’ is the spare areas stuff that you configure when formatting BD-RE. I don’t know how it relates to BD-R media.

Did you ENABLE the option in ImgBurn or DISABLE the option? It may not have an effect, but just trying to be sure.

A lot of DL media just isn’t good, unfortunately.

You’ll probably have to get ImgBurn to format your BD-R if you want defect management. So you need to configure the formatting setting (write tab) to format with spare areas and then format / erase your BD-R. Then make sure the VNR thing is disabled.

Ok, I’ll try it thanks :slight_smile:

but back to the topic. This won’t solve my problem.
I must find out, if I should buy new INTERNAL drive or BDs from other brand.
If fact that my drive is external (USB) can cause my issue.
If internal should be better in reliability than external.
Or is it only question of burning speed?

Is there some way to find out?

And what about that Riteks? Do you have some experiences with them?

Riteks are not well regarded around here for Blu-ray media. I haven’t tried the DL variety, but will never use the single layer again from them.

If you are going to buy DL media, I would get Panasonic brand discs. Like these at Amazon.

Personally, I’d trust the internal Pioneer drives over your external drive for burning double layer discs, but have no evidence to back up this feeling, other than the fact that most of the guys around here who do the user testing are having good luck with the Pioneer drives.

[QUOTE=LIGHTNING UK!;2743666]You’ll probably have to get ImgBurn to format your BD-R if you want defect management. So you need to configure the formatting setting (write tab) to format with spare areas and then format / erase your BD-R. Then make sure the VNR thing is disabled.[/QUOTE]

is it possible with BD-R? if yes, can you show me steps? Because I found that checkbox, but how I format the disc before burning? It’ll format it automatically and then write with proper defect management at slower speed?

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2743685]Riteks are not well regarded around here for Blu-ray media. I haven’t tried the DL variety, but will never use the single layer again from them.

If you are going to buy DL media, I would get Panasonic brand discs. Like these at Amazon.

Personally, I’d trust the internal Pioneer drives over your external drive for burning double layer discs, but have no evidence to back up this feeling, other than the fact that most of the guys around here who do the user testing are having good luck with the Pioneer drives.[/QUOTE]

and what about these:

and drive LG BH16NS
actually I have already ordered these japanese verbatim BD-Rs

Once you’ve configured the checkbox so it’s going to format/erase with spare areas enabled, just use the erase feature / button to format the disc with spare areas enabled. You can do that in numerous ways…

Click the erase button that’s in the ‘Destination’ box when you’re in Write mode
Or… Right click the drive selection drop down box and pick Erase.
Or… Click the Tools menu - Drive - Erase

Thank you, I’m selling that drive now, so I need to choose another and internal.

I decide between LG BH16NS and Pioneer BDR-209DBK.
Can you please help me which drive is better and why?

[QUOTE=desann;2743790]Thank you, I’m selling that drive now, so I need to choose another and internal.

I decide between LG BH16NS and Pioneer BDR-209DBK.
Can you please help me which drive is better and why?[/QUOTE]

Both are good. Which one is cheaper for you?

LG. Slightly.

LG - 73,97 EUR
Pioneer - 83,59 EUR

So it is not necessary pay extra 10EUR for Pioneer?

[QUOTE=desann;2743802]LG. Slightly.

LG - 73,97 EUR
Pioneer - 83,59 EUR

So it is not necessary pay extra 10EUR for Pioneer?[/QUOTE]

No, it’s not necessary. As long as your media is OK, both drives are good.

ok, and will be at least a bit better go for pioneer? Or it really doesn’t matter?

sorry for stupid question but I really dont want to buy crappy drive again.
If worth it for pay extra 10€, I’ll rather buy that more expencive one.

Hello again! I have opportunity to get that lg or that pioneer at same price!
So I definitely need to know which one is better and why. Thank you.

If each drive wins in something else, please tell me that differences, I’ll make choice.

You’re splitting hairs…there isn’t a bad choice between those two. I have older drives, but both my LG and Pioneer have been good.

The consensus of opinion around here is that the Pioneers may have a small edge in writing performance for Blu-ray. I’ve found that my particular Pioneer (a 207MBK) is not as good a reader for damaged discs as my LG. So, in my experience, both brands have strengths.

Get mediocre discs and get issues for free.