Bad burns with Premium

Hi,

before I start I 'd like to know if somebody has already burned coasters with the Premium model. I think with that extras that are included (Buffer Underrun, Powerec) bad burns should be history?

Okay, let’s start. I have bought the Premium about 1 month ago. Since then I have burned about 20-30 discs. Unfortunately, I get a lot of coasters!
:frowning: (about 1/3) This has never happened before with any other drive. The burn process itself works without any problem. Before I burn I normally do a fe/te-Test on the disc and I reduce the burn-speed to 16x or 24x if advised. Then I burn with the cdrtools 2.0 (cdrecord in WinXP or Linux). Afterwards I do a c1c2-Test with Plextools Prof. and the coasters stop the test more or less at the beginning (<20min) with an error message. I have already had:

• Medium error (code 030600)
  • Medium error (code 030281)

The beta/jitter-Test often shows:

• Uncorrectable read error (031105)

=> Coaster => Trash :frowning:

And: it didn’t matter at what speed I burned them. 16, 20, 24, 32x… the problems do not seem to be speed-specific!

I used:
Sony, 700MB, 40x, Phtalocyan.,
CMC alias Fujitsu, 700, 48x, Phtalocyan.
Ritek alias TDK Speed-X (CD-RSX80EA)

Has anybody experienced similar problems?
I am a bit disappointed of the drives write capability as I thought at least you could use any blank media and the Premium would make the best of it. But coasters can not be the best! :frowning:

Yesterday I bought some Plextor media (Taiyo Yuden). I hope that the Premium will get better with Premium media! Nevertheless it’s very disappointing.

Does anybody have any advice?

My Premium has Firmware 1.03.

i have had several plex premium …part of experiment …and never once did i get a coaster and your talking we had to do around 10 cd’s each at top speed on each premium

i myself have a premium drive and it runs great

I world look into the software you are burning with … I work on computers and that is usually always the cause …

what are the specs for your system ?? memory …os and stuff like that …

ide cables are they udma or normal 40 pin ?

well just to let ya know i use nero and never get coasters and i backup all my games and that is over 60 …and not once a coaster yet …

oh I dont have plex tools installed but when i did it didnt matter sitll no coasters …talked to few friends in town that have plex and they have never got a coaster yet

Same here, very few coasters with the premium.

1: Sony 40X media is most likely made by lead data and not so good.
2: CMC is known to be not so good.
3: Ritek should be quite good quality.

Tried with other writing programs? That may very well be the problem.

Is DMA enabled?

I prefer to connect CD-RW drives as Primary master if possible as well.

If nothing works, contact plextor and get a new drive! Their support is normally outstanding.

i even use the cheap spindle of discs adn no burn problems

hey OC freak

guess you agree with me hehhhhe since almost same thing said hehhehe

what are the specs for your system ?? memory …os and stuff like that …

Mainboard: MSI K7N2L, latest firmware
CPU: AMD TB 1700@2200 MHz
Memory: Infineon, 512MB, 266Mhz
HDD: Maxtor 6Y080L0, DiamondMax+9, 80 GB, 7200rpm, Primary Master
DVD: Toshiba 1612, Secondary Master
CDRW: PlexPremium, FW 1.03, Secondary Slave
PSU: Enermax 365AX…
Graphics: Nvidia Geforce2 TItanium
WinXP with Nvidia driver 2.03 or Linux Mandrake 9.1

All runs at UDMA(-100). No probs in the device manager nor probs with high temperature.

ide cables are they udma or normal 40 pin ?

UDMA.

Thx for your input!

1: Sony 40X media is most likely made by lead data and not so good.

No, ATIP says Sony.

2: CMC is known to be not so good.

I know. :wink: It was only one cd I boight for testing purpose.

3: Ritek should be quite good quality.

Oh my! I was very angry that TDK ships its product with Ritek. Before they had orig.TDK in their boxes!

Tried with other writing programs? That may very well be the problem.

Possible. I’ll check if my cdrecord version supports the Premium, but IIRC the author, Jörg Schilling, told me that it does.

Is DMA enabled?

Yes. See my answer above.

I prefer to connect CD-RW drives as Primary master if possible as well.

Good idea. I’ll even try the Premium in my second PC tomorrow. I am wondering why I didn’t have that idea earlier. :confused:

If nothing works, contact plextor and get a new drive! Their support is normally outstanding.

Better: I’ll return it to the vendor. I dont want to get a refurbushed drive from Plextor!

Thx for your input!

Sony 40X is made by Lead data with Sony ATIP (manufacturer information).

Helianthus

keep us informed …I would try nero … just a shot

yeah i if i have a hardware problem I always move it to my spare pc that is just for testing purposes and has no major software on it just burning software and OS …

I try to work smarter …not harder …then if problem is gone then it is something in my other system …nothing a little format wont fix lol …

roll back your nforce 2 drivers to the Microsoft drivers and try, see if that makes a difference, I know it did for 1 person.

wonder who that one person is master jedi …actually you know two people .portmac and me …same prob

Also, your CPU is overclocked which could possibly have an effect on the drive. Perhaps it’s worth checking out by setting your CPU speed to its default speed.

wow didnt even see it was overclocked …yeah that can cause all kinds of problems at atimes …and sometimes it doesnt

Thx to you all!
Unfortunately, I still didnt have the time to check my burner in my second PC and I today I’ll have to leave home for 2 days.

Please take a look at the thread once more on friday. Till then I’ll have the burner tested.

Okay, and I’ll tryt to return the AMD to 1700Mhz.

Thx a lot to all!

My pc is overclocked (xp2100+@220x11) all the time and I never had a problem with my premium. I’ve burnt more than 500cd’s now with the premium and no problems so far.
Then again, I use only “quality” media, Plextor branded TY’s.

I have burned over 60 discs on more than 20 different media with Premium. I have gotten coasters with the following media:

Platinum 48x (Ritek) - several bad ones
Fuji Film Multispeed 52x (Fuji Photo Co.) - one

That’s all that the coasters on my Plex that I can remember.

regards,
Halcyon

My pc is overclocked (xp2100+@220x11) all the time and I never had a problem with my premium.

Your pretty lucky then, but if problems do develop this is the first and best place to look.

I’ve got a P4 2.4C oc’d to 3.15 and my Plextor Premium hasn’t burned one coaster yet. I’ve used Sonys (40X supremas, never checked the actual ATIP), unbranded TYs, and Fuji branded TYs.

HOWEVER… When I did my oc’ing, I ran LOTS of tests with CPU Burn-In and MemTest to error check the CPU and memory. I ran them overnight and while I was at work multiple times to make sure my oc job was stable. I had run a higher frequency, but the memory was generating errors. 3.15 GHz was where I could let both tests run both individually AND at the same time, and they did not return any errors. So this is something you might want to look into.

Just a thought…

Thanks,
Tony

P.S. System Specs:
P4 2.4C @ 3.15 GHz
Asus P4P800 Deluxe
2x256 MB PC3200 Mushkin Black RAM @ 418 MHz DDR
Gainward GeForce Ti4200 64MB DDR
Primary Master: Maxtor Diamond Max 60 GB 7200rpm HD w/ 2MB cache
Secondary Master: Plextor Premium, firmware vers. 1.04
Burning Software: Nero 6.0.0.15 (w/patch), EAC, Clone CD, Blindwrite

If your oc’d pc can crunch the torture test of Prime95 (http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm) for 24 hours you are absolutely sure that your pc is 100% stable.

Hi,

well, today I was and am still doing testing on the Premium in my 2nd PC. Until now I havent burned any coaster yet! (~ 10CDs). Maybe that is due to qulity discs from TDK and Taiyo Yuden that I am using, but I still dont believe that because with (poor quality) Ritek CDs (alias Fuji), the Premium burned perfectly as well! :slight_smile: Unfortunately I havent any Sony’s and Ritek alias TDK reflex anymore as my brother used them a couple of days ago and I didn’t know. :frowning:

So, what are my conclusions till now:

1. The Premium burns perfectly in the 2nd PC. Its an old Intel BX440 Board with PII 400 Mhz and WinXP. Software: cdrecord.
  2. It seems as if the Premium is not defect.
  3. I still have to do some testing… eg. I must buy some very poor quality CDs and test them.

I will keep you up-to-date when I’ll return next week.

P.S. After I overclock my PC, I always do intensiv testing with Prime. Thx for your suggestions anyway. :slight_smile: