Bad burner?

The backup of one of my dvds hangs towards the end making it unwatchable. It wasn’t a bad rip since I can watch it to the end with VLC Media Player (learned that trick right here at CDFreaks!).

Since you always ask for more info - my burner is built-in to my Tosh laptop (PIONEER_DVD-RW_DVR-K17LF) and no, I can’t do scans because they’re not supported with this setup. I rip with DVDFab, then use DVDShrink and ImgBurn. I’ve done it this way hundreds and hundreds of times and never had a problem.

My first attempt, I used my trusty TY 8x where I first noticed the problem. My second attempt I used my 16x Verbatim +R and playback was the same as the TY - hanging at the end. My third attempt I used a cheap Memorex and changed the burn speed in ImgBurn to 16x (had been set on either auto or 8x - can’t remember). THIS one actually worked the best - went almost to the very, very end until it became unwatchable (all pixelated and jerky). On all 3 tries, ImgBurn indicated no retries and that the burn was successful.

So by process of elimination, it’s not a bad rip and it’s not the media since the problem shows itself in the same place on 3 different brands of disc, so it’s got to be the burner, right??

I have no idea what the signs are that indicate a DVD burner is failing besides producing discs that are unwatchable. Unfortunately, the only other computer I have at the moment is an older desktop that has no DVD burner.

Hope the above is enough info. Just looking for any ideas I may have missed in my ‘sleuthing’ the problem.

PS I also ran VobBlanker which showed no errors or anything.

Maybe you can try to rip again with FAB and change the output size to 4300 or 4200 MB size and then burn it again.

It sounds to me that you have a rip that is taking the burn to the very outer extremes of the disc size and thats causing your problems.

[QUOTE=~KIPPER~;2225165]Maybe you can try to rip again with FAB and change the output size to 4300 or 4200 MB size and then burn it again.

It sounds to me that you have a rip that is taking the burn to the very outer extremes of the disc size and thats causing your problems.[/QUOTE]
Good advice.

To the OP most Pioneer’s do well with -R media.

and no, I can’t do scans because they’re not supported with this setup.

You [B]can[/B] use Nero to do a TRT (Transfer Rate Test). These tests can be informative.

This is a good TRT (it doesn’t have to quite this perfect):

Here’s on that will present problems at the end:

Looking at this scan (and following ~KIPPER~'s advice) setting your output size to about 4100MB would probably enable one to use these DVDs.

[quote=~KIPPER~;2225165]Maybe you can try to rip again with FAB and change the output size to 4300 or 4200 MB size and then burn it again.

It sounds to me that you have a rip that is taking the burn to the very outer extremes of the disc size and thats causing your problems.[/quote]

Thank you for responding, Kipper! Unfortunately, I am down at my beach house (haha what’s left of it after Ike) for a few days and the original is stowed safely at the mainland house. I’ve never changed output sizes in DVDFab (wouldn’t know how to do that), but your comment, ‘taking the burn to the very outer extremes’ has me intrigued. I honestly have no idea what you mean by that.

Forgive a newbie question, but wouldn’t the fact that I ‘shrunk’ it using DVDShrink negate that as a problem?

Also, I’m still curious as to why I can play the DVD with no problems in VLC Media Player yet it pixelates and hangs in that one spot. As I understand it, if there is a problem with the rip, it will show up in the harddrive copy as well as the disc copy?

[quote=MysticEyes;2225186]Good advice.

To the OP most Pioneer’s do well with -R media.

You [B]can[/B] use Nero to do a TRT (Transfer Rate Test). These tests can be informative.

This is a good TRT (it doesn’t have to quite this perfect):

Here’s on that will present problems at the end:

Looking at this scan (and following ~KIPPER~'s advice) setting your output size to about 4100MB would probably enable one to use these DVDs.[/quote]

Many thanks for replying, Mystic. Yes, I used the -R’s exclusively on literally hundreds and hundreds of discs and just within the last month or so bought a spindle of the Verbatim +Rs. All my TY is -R.

That’s what’s got me thinking maybe my drive is dying – although I’ve taken very good care with it, I’ve used the heck out of it LOL!!!

I’ll definitely take your advice and attempt the tests when I get a chance. BTW, the original disc (and not sure this matters at all) was only around 6K and then, as I mentioned, I used DVDShrink like I always do. I absolutely know I’ve ripped many much larger discs than this one and had no problems.

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond - it’s very much appreciated.

Do a test with another dvd…not this one that has given you trouble. See if your normal process with Fab and DVDShrink produces a dvd-video that won’t play back properly with good media.

If so, your drive may be at fault. If not, then suspect something in the first encoding/compression.

[quote=Kerry56;2225221]Do a test with another dvd…not this one that has given you trouble. See if your normal process with Fab and DVDShrink produces a dvd-video that won’t play back properly with good media.

If so, your drive may be at fault. If not, then suspect something in the first encoding/compression.[/quote]

Thanks for checking in, neighbor. I have some DVDs ordered from Amazon which should be here any day, so I’ll give your suggestion a try when I get home.

Was wondering, though, do you think I’d have any better results with this current problem if I burned it to a DL disc? I doubt it would change anything, but I’m thinking of what Kipper above said. Think it’s worth a try?

The good news, as I’ve mentioned, is that it plays fine from the HD, and I’ve transferred it to my external HD, along with some other treasures, for safe keeping :slight_smile:

Just wanted to post an update and once again thank all those that replied and offered their help and suggestions.

I followed Kerry’s advice and ripped and burned a different DVD and got the same results - pixelation and freezes at the end of the disc. I then went back and played some DVDs that I’d backed up, but hadn’t yet watched, and was disappointed to see that those, too, had the problems towards the end of the discs. Over time, I’ve noticed that almost all of my successful burns end at around 14 min. My burn logs show that the coasters took at least 15 minutes or a bit longer (burn speed was set to 8x for all). Interesting.

I then opened a new pack of TY’s and reburned the first disc in which I’d noticed the problems and got a perfect backup. This led me to think I’d gotten a bad batch of TY’s, but upon burning a second disc with the new batch, the problem showed up once again - always near the end of the disc.

My next step was to uninstall my programs (DVDFab, DVDShrink, and ImgBurn) and reinstall fresh copies. I then ran Defrag (took 6 hours) and when I got up this morning I ripped, compressed, and burned on a cold computer (I always do this since this laptop gets rather hot during burning). This time, I took Kipper’s advice and set the output in Shrink to 4300MB, and used my cheapest disc in order to confirm it’s not a media problem, but rather something going on with my burner or software. I got a perfect backup and didn’t really notice too much decline in quality. (Thanks for that advice, Kipper!)

My routine for backing up includes always starting with a fresh ‘restart’ of the computer. I disable my AV and malware detectors and any other programs not necessary to be running in the background. I wait until the HD light stops blinking and I’m always careful to handle fresh discs in a manner that no part of the burn surface is ever touched. Everything I know so far about burning successful backups I learned here at CDFreaks and, as I’ve said, until now, I’ve had hundreds and hundreds of successes with very few coasters, so thank you to those that take the time to offer valuable advice and instructions.

So far everything points to a dying burner (at the least, an unstable one) or perhaps it could be a HD problem. I have a few other things to try (maybe cleaning the drive with one of those disc cleaners?), or perhaps picking up an external burner to test another theory.

BTW, I’ve found this is a very common problem. If you google ‘backup pixelates and freezes at end of disc’, you will find many posts on various forums (even here), and invariably, the advice is generally that the culprit was bad media. In my case, I don’t think that’s the problem. I’ll be getting a new setup soon and may be back to see if anyone might be so kind as to walk me through installing a really good burner (I hear it’s not that difficult), so I’ll be doing some research into what would be a good choice.

Thanks again for everyone who replied:)