Bad burn results! Don't know what to do!

vbimport

Hello, I have a sony AW-G170A drive with firmware 1.71

I just bought some Verbatim 8x Double Layer DVD+ discs.

Here are my results…

I used clone DVD to make this disc. I wrote at 8x speed. Other discs I used it wouldn’t write at all. I have similar results using power2go.

What could I be doing wrong?

I just wrote a normal DVD at x8 and these were the results.

Are they good?

I appreciate any help I get. I’m going nuts with this :slight_smile:

Burn the DL’s at 4X to see if there is an improvement…might also try the TY’s at 4X. I don’t know how good of a drive that is for scanning either…have you made sure your firmware is up to date from the manufacturers website?

[QUOTE=LOCOENG;2078148]Burn the DL’s at 4X to see if there is an improvement…might also try the TY’s at 4X. [/QUOTE]

ok, I’ll do that with the DL but above was a mistake by me. I burned the TYs at x4.

[QUOTE=LOCOENG;2078148]have you made sure your firmware is up to date from the manufacturers website?[/QUOTE]

I don’t know how to do this. I was also told I have to disconnect the ide cable from my other drive. I don’t really want to go inside my pc. Shouldn’t my firmware be good enough for this job?

The optiarc/sony isn’t a good scanner, benq/liteon & plextor (true plextors)are good scanners, the best think you can do with your drive is a Transfer Rate Test, if you dont see any slowdowns then the disc should be ok.

One place to get firmware is Liggy & Dee the other is www.sonynec-optiarc.eu, but if i remember correct the drive has to be in PIO-MODE.

[QUOTE=vroom;2078160]The optiarc/sony isn’t a good scanner, benq/liteon & plextor (true plextors)are good scanners, the best think you can do with your drive is a Transfer Rate Test, if you dont see any slowdowns then the disc should be ok.

One place to get firmware is Liggy & Dee the other is www.sonynec-optiarc.eu, but if i remember correct the drive has to be in PIO-MODE.[/QUOTE]

Hi there Vroom, thanks for the reply.

I’m a bit new to all this burning stuff. Can you tell me how to do a transfer rate test and what is PIO-MODE?

I just watched this in my DVD player. At around 50mins it stopped playing :frowning: I skipped a couple of mins then it was fine to the end of the film.

[QUOTE=Kg58k;2078089]

Here are my results…

I used clone DVD to make this disc. I wrote at 8x speed. Other discs I used it wouldn’t write at all. I have similar results using power2go. [/QUOTE]

Go to the benchmark tab in nero disc speed and then press F2.

[QUOTE=vroom;2078184]Go to the benchmark tab in nero disc speed and then press F2.[/QUOTE]

OK, thanks I’m doing this now :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=vroom;2078184]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programmed_input/output[/QUOTE]

Ok, don’t really understand this :slight_smile: I think it’s a different way of connecting drives that I didn’t know about :slight_smile: So this means I don’t need to disconnect anything to update the firmware?

I’m not very confident of doing this. I’ve heard many times that people after doing this kill their drives.
Is it really risky?

Ok here are the results for the transfer rate test.

I burned this at 4x. Is it ok? I don’t really know what I’m looking for.

The switch from udma to pio-mode can be done easily, go to control panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager>IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers select the one that your dvd-rw is (mosto of the time’s it’s secondary) an double click, go to advanced>trnasfer mode and select PIO Mode.
Then flash the drive, reboot, and check if the drive is back to UDMA, if it’s not, you will have to select it manualy, and reboot.

The switch from udma to pio-mode can be done easily, go to control panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager>IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers select the one that your dvd-rw is (mosto of the time’s it’s secondary) an double click, go to advanced>trnasfer mode and select PIO Mode.
Then flash the drive, reboot, and check if the drive is back to UDMA, if it’s not, you will have to select it manualy, and reboot.

[QUOTE=vroom;2078196]The switch from udma to pio-mode can be done easily, go to control panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager>IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers select the one that your dvd-rw is (mosto of the time’s it’s secondary) an double click, go to advanced>trnasfer mode and select PIO Mode.
Then flash the drive, reboot, and check if the drive is back to UDMA, if it’s not, you will have to select it manualy, and reboot.[/QUOTE]

This is what I see. I cannot see my drive under the IDE ATA/ATAPI bit.

Also I see lots of firmware for this drive. Which is the best one?

No idea how vista works, but try double on dual channel PCI IDE Controller.

Judging by the TRT test, the drive operates at DMA mode.
So it is either a faulty drive or just needs its lens cleaned. Of course flashing the latest firmware, version 1.73 if I am not wrong, is a good thing to do too.

[QUOTE=Kg58k;2078182]I just watched this in my DVD player. At around 50mins it stopped playing :frowning: I skipped a couple of mins then it was fine to the end of the film.[/QUOTE]Will you run a TRT on this DL disc for us please.

[QUOTE=talos_2002;2078479]Judging by the TRT test, the drive operates at DMA mode.
So it is either a faulty drive or just needs its lens cleaned. Of course flashing the latest firmware, version 1.73 if I am not wrong, is a good thing to do too.[/QUOTE]

I don’t know what DMA mode is, is this a good thing? :slight_smile:

Where can I get this 1.73 and how do I ‘install’ it?

[QUOTE=Bob;2078483]Will you run a TRT on this DL disc for us please.[/QUOTE]

It stops half way…

Just tried another Verb DL (MIS) at 4x.

I’m tearing my hair out :confused:

Any advice at all for me?

Update the firmware from http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/, try to burn slower your dual layer media 6x or 4x and see if that makes any difference.