Bad Burn Issues?

vbimport

forgive me if this is the wrong place but, being a newbie, it felt right.

I’ve recently upgraded my DVD player from a Philips 642 to a Denon-2910… I’ve burnt a good amount of DVDs, most recently Ritek brand, and never had a single issue with the Philips. I’ve also recently switched to Taiyo Yuden discs since my Riteks were re-branded on me and I’ve come to understand that TYs are high quality.

Just last week, while watching my backup of Grandma’s Boy (TY), I got horrible macroblocking and stuttering a few minutes in. Performing a quality scan with CDSpeed showed me quite an abomination:

DVD Identifier tells me that they’re geniune TYs (YUDEN000T02). My burner is an Hitachi-LG (+R only) that came with my Dell laptop. When I scanned some of my old Ritek discs, they were better… but still had an error slope at the end with a mediocre quality score.

One of my recent burns (Ritek), however, has played flawlessly twice in the new Denon. The scan:

I have access to a Pioneer 109 that I’ve been doing my scanning on (Since the Hitachi doesn’t support low-level scanning). It occured to me that the Hitachi might not like the TYs, so I decided to test them with the Pioneer. Below are two scans of TY discs burnt with the Pioneer, one at 4x and one at 8x (the rated speed of my media).

4x:

8x:

Basically, I’m unsure of where to go from here… I’d like to be able to produce consistent burns that will play on my Denon without issue. I didn’t spend all that money on the player to have to continue to use my Philips because it has better error tolerance.

What can be made of these four scans? Is my Hitachi burner going bad? Is my batch of TY media DOA? Should I burn the rest of my TY media on the Pioneer? Do either of those two scans look promising when compared to the scan of the disc that played?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

When uploading images from CD-DVD Speed the best way to do it is save the image in PNG format from CD-DVD SPeed. It’s the Floppy icon at top right. Then under Advanced when post use the Manage Attachments option.

I have to say that these scans are pretty appalling & I’d have thrown all of them in the bin. But I don’t know what the Pio is like for scanning compared to the Benq or Liteon that I use.

It could be fake TYs, what’s the batch number, mine are TG001133 & TG001162 & yours should be something similar.

I’m unsure of how to determine the batch number… below is what I’ve returned from DVD Identifier:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:YUDEN000-T02-000]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD+R]
Manufacturer Name : [Taiyo Yuden Co. Ltd.]
Manufacturer ID : [YUDEN000]
Media Type ID : [T02]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Blank Disc Capacity : [Not Supported By Method 2]
Recording Speeds : [1x-2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x]
[Method 2 Might Not Always Detect All Speeds]

[ DVD Identifier V4.3.0 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

The batch number can been seen around the inner ring on the disk.

I’ve got TG001162

I’m not terribly opposed to replacing my existing burner(s) with some setup where I can make quality burns, and perform reliable (or, at least meaningful) scanning.

I could use some advice, though.

So the TYs are genuine then, same batch as my Verbatim TYs.

It could be that the Hitachi/LG burner needs a firmware update to properly burn the T02s but this may well not be unavailable. In this case a replacement would be an excellent idea but I wouldn’t know what to advise as the replacement. Perhaps look at a Pioneer K16 (I think)

For a desktop PC you’ve got some good choices. The Benq 1650, the latest Liteons , Pioneer 111 will all do a good job. Benqs & Liteons are good scanners as well, wouldn’t trust a Pioneer for this.

How about the NEC 6650 for the laptop drive?

It’s apparent that the Hitachi isn’t the greatest burner, and is also quite old… but the last two scans above are from burning my TYs on a new Pioneer 109 (firmware 1.58). They look significantly better than the other scans, but with odd spikes.

Could this be attributed to the poor scanning ability of the Pioneer? If it weren’t for those spikes, I’d almost say that the burns were close to perfect.

Hopefully someone else will contribute here as I know nothing about laptop burners.

Certainly the Pioneers are not renowned for their scanning ability so it is possible that you’ve got some very good burns but without scanning on a Benq or later Liteon you won’t really know.