Bad burn at end?

Does anyone hvae any explanation for this?

Here is the story… This happens when burning the RICOHJPNR01 at 8x…

It burns great until the last 10%, at the last 10%, the burning slows to 4x, and when I run a KProbe on it, here is what happens…

I just reverted back to the original firmware - US01, and this time it DID NOT slow down to 4x at the end… I will post a Kprobe when its done.

Here is the scan…

Yep. The newer FW revisions has this nasty little let’s-slow-down-at-the-end thing. Designed, surprisingly, to ensure better burns. Just that in the case of Ricoh R01, it is not a wise decision to make.

Do you know which firmware does this start at code? US0A and up?

Originally posted by TripleH
Do you know which firmware does this start at code? US0A and up?

Sorry, dunno. I don’t own a 812S.

I’m having a similar problem with the same media on my 411s. I’m using the newest firmware (fs0j, I believe). Do anyone think it is being caused by the same general problem? If so, any suggestions on which firmware I should use?

Thanks!

Originally posted by montykid
[B]I’m having a similar problem with the same media on my 411s. I’m using the newest firmware (fs0j, I believe). Do anyone think it is being caused by the same general problem? If so, any suggestions on which firmware I should use?

Thanks! [/B]

First off they are referring to write strategies that write with a combination of 4X and 8X speeds. So no, it is definitely not the same general problem. If you are getting high spiking at the end of your discs, it could be a bad batch of media. Please post a Kprobe scan for us to analyze.

Sorry, I overlooked what the heart of TripleH’s problem (the variance in speed) after I saw the similar Kprobe scan. Anyway, I’ve attached one of my own Kprobe scans, which has the high spike at the end. I’ve read the methods concerning how to scan, but have never posted one, so possible errors in my methods may exist. Anyway, thanks in advance for your input.

You know, you may not actually have too many problems with trynig to play that disk. The PO are actually quite low and I believe the PO is basically what determines playability… Granted it still may skip a little bit towards the end, but the only way to find out is to try and play it…