Bad batch Verb +R DL?

vbimport

Okay, this is starting to get frustrating. I just bought two new 20-packs of Verb DVD+R DL, and this is what I get. The discs go haywire after the 6.5GB mark. The first two burns (scans included here) were done on my Pio. I tried scanning slower. I even tried burning again with my BenQ @ 2.4x and scanning that (scan not included here). All the same results. Fine up until the 6.5GB mark. Also, never at any point did my buffer levels indicate an underrun.

3 discs, 3 terrible burns. My previous pack that I bought last summer burned fine in both of my burners.

Anyone have any idea whether this is something I’m doing or if this is indeed a bad batch and I just have to deal with it?

I have a feeling I’m going to be returning the other unopened pack to the store, and if they’ll take it, the opened one as well.

Details
Disc: Verbatim 2.4x DVD+R DL
Media ID: MKM 001
Drive: Pioneer DVR-111D @ 111L 8.29
Burn Speed: 8x [scan 1], 2.4x [scan 2]
Burn Software: Imgburn, build mode

The high jitter in the first scan accounts for the exaggeration of the errors (mainly PIE) in that scan, however the results do look poor regardless and the errors towards the end cannot be blamed away by jitter. In any case, they do look to be a poor batch of discs, especially since you mention the PIF clump towards the edge with both burners. The first burn is probably going to give some playback problems IMO if only because of the high jitter in the 2nd layer, the second disc I’d guess will playback ok in most players but it’s still not a good result (marginal jitter in the 2nd layer + PIF level at edge). Have you tried a TRT of the discs in your Pioneer, and a quality scan in it - yes I know Pioneers make poor scanners (often overreport PIEs, underreport PIFs)but it might be interesting to see what it reports in the 2nd layer.

Not sure if you bought them online, but if it’s not a huge hassle then I’d certainly return/exchange them. If you can open the other spindle without losing the option of a return, I’d give one of those discs a try. Maybe a call to the retailer would help, be honest and tell them that your first spindle is simply defective/poor quality and ask if they’d accept a return on the other spindle even if it’s opened. Some retailers will accept opened media no questions asked, others will absolutely turn away opened media. I’ve actually had no issues with opened media, but I’ve only done it a couple of times with truly awful batches of discs.

I bought them from a retail store, and I can’t remember if they take back opened media. So I’d like to keep one sealed so I can return at least one for sure.

I got the impression from your post though that they might, or the second one I guess, would still be playable in a DVD player. I know they have a certain tolerance for error… but wouldn’t that cluster of PIFs near the end of the disc cause it to skip a bunch?

edit Also, I’ll try the TRT and the scan in the Pio when I get a chance and post them.

It just depends on the player, my players often do not choke on discs even with those error levels if jitter levels are decent. I would be just as concerned about the player choking on the disc at the layer change because of the marginal jitter level. Keep in mind that while I think it would stand a fair chance of being playable, that doesn’t mean I’d trust the disc for important data. It may play, but the burn’s too marginal for anything important IMO. If you have a player or two to try it on, it would be interesting to hear how it does at the point of the layer change, and at the edge. If you don’t know where the layer change is at, DVD Decrypter can report the location of the layer change for one.

Well, I got them returned. I exchanged both the opened pack and the unopened pack for two new unopened ones. Good customer service.

Anyway, they’re better… I think? But still I’m worried about them. This time, everything is perfect, probably better than my good batch from last year for most of the disc except for one thing: GOES COMPLETELY HAYWIRE AT THE LAYER BREAK. Included are the scan and the TRT of a disc from the new batch.

Is this a problem or just my BenQ exaggerating the layer break? It did pass the verification in Imgburn.

Also, how do you go about finding where the layer break is in terms of playback time?

edit Lastly, am I crazy or should I try burning these at 4x or 6x? Does 2.4x always yield the best possible results?

Details
Burn Speed: 2.4x

Well I don’t know what the hell is going on here, but I’m a lot happier. With my new batch, I assumed I’d get the best results at 2.4x. So I never tested it with anything higher. I was wrong. This is still a bit of a mess, not perfect by any stretch, but plays fine in my player and doesn’t trigger any more than the usual layer break pause. And no PO failures! =]

Details
Burn Speed: 6x

Funny, I burnt some Verb DL discs and burnt in my 111L @ 2.4x and I got the same ridiculous amount of errors and super high jitter in the second layer.

I’ve read that other people also have much more luck with Pioneer and DL media at higher speeds.

So it’s a win win situation, higher burns speeds that have less errors :slight_smile:

I’d avoid that 20 DL cases.

Better batches in smaller quantities?

Rather, “less stress on the discs” is my guess. DL has a more complex structure thus must be more sensitive to slight warping issues. Even with SL media, I noticed that 50-discs packs give me, in general, lesser burns than 25-discs packs.

But that’s just a guess.

So Verbatim is mean to us because they only sell logofree printables in 50 packs… or what? :confused:

Details
Disc: Verbatim branded 2.4x DVD+R DL (20pc cakebox)
Burn Speed: 6x
Burn Software: Imgburn

Recently got a new batch of these on sale. These are the Verbs I’ve come to know and love.

For some strange reason my burning of MKM001 at 2.4x also results in bad scans, but perfectly playable discs (on my hardware/equipment at least). 4x and 6x have given me better results though - just like your case. MKM001 in my opinion is a type of disc that actually performs better when oversped… :wink: