Bad Batch Of Falcons At SM

Back in May I ordered 4 cakes of Falcon 8x white printable DVD’r’s from SM. Their stock # is DV 001 3859

I’ve gone through 2 cakes. They were excellent.

So I ordered 2 more cakes last week. So far the new batch sucks. I was getting average scans of 97, almost always with less than 300 PiF’s.

Here’s scans from both the new batch & the old batch. Both are the same movie, both burned today & under the same conditions & both scanned under the same conditions.

What ever happened to quality control? This is frustrating. Once again, I wasted over $50.

:confused::frowning:

That’s not a bad batch - you are demanding far too much of your scans.

BTW I suggest changing your scanning interval to 1 ECC instead of 8 ECC (using the Advanced button).

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2599118]That’s not a bad batch - you are demanding far too much of your scans.[/QUOTE]

:iagree:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2599118]
BTW I suggest changing your scanning interval to 1 ECC instead of 8 ECC (using the Advanced button).[/QUOTE]

I made the change you suggested. Would you mind explaining the difference between the 2 settings? I Googled “1 ECC vs 8 ECC” with no success.

[QUOTE=MooMooMooMoo;2599161]I made the change you suggested. Would you mind explaining the difference between the 2 settings? I Googled “1 ECC vs 8 ECC” with no success.[/QUOTE] Scanning with a 1 ECC interval provides you with PIF values measured according to the relevant ECMA standards, and means that you can compare the maximum value directly with the recommended maximum of 4 PIF per 1 ECC block.

The quality percentages will be different than when using 8 ECC scanning interval, and e.g. a maximum PIF value of 2 (which is often achievable) corresponds to a quality percentage of 95% IIRC. Most advanced users ignore this percentage and only look at the PIE/PIF (and jitter) values.

For more about 1 ECC vs 8 ECC scanning you can read here.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2599168]Scanning with a 1 ECC interval provides you with PIF values measured according to the relevant ECMA standards, and means that you can compare the maximum value directly with the recommended maximum of 4 PIF per 1 ECC block.

The quality percentages will be different than when using 8 ECC scanning interval, and e.g. a maximum PIF value of 2 (which is often achievable) corresponds to a quality percentage of 95% IIRC. Most advanced users ignore this percentage and only look at the PIE/PIF (and jitter) values.

For more about 1 ECC vs 8 ECC scanning you can read here.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your help!! I read your post & some of the rest of the thread. Question:

I get that you are saying that as long as it’s under 4PIF’s per block all should be ok.

Does that mean it doesn’t matter how many total PIF’s there are, & that only the peaks matter? I’ve been under the impression that totals do show part of the disc quality, but you obviously are way more educated on this than I am!

Part of the reason I am so gun shy is that when i started burning dvdr’s a number of years ago, I had a couple hundred Maxell/Ricoh discs go bad in about 6 months. I’ve also had a ton of poorly regarded brands of cdr’s go bad over the years. As a result, I’ve become hyper paranoid, & will often throw away as many as 5 discs until i get a burn that meets my standards.

[QUOTE=MooMooMooMoo;2599173]I get that you are saying that as long as it’s under 4PIF’s per block all should be ok.[/QUOTE] The ECMA standards specify that PIE should be no higher than 280 per 8 ECC blocks and PIF should be no higher than 4 per 1 ECC block.

That is, however, using a professional calibrated scanner, and there are also other requirements that cannot be measured by consumer drives.

Does that mean it doesn’t matter how many total PIF’s there are, & that only the peaks matter? I’ve been under the impression that totals do show part of the disc quality, but you obviously are way more educated on this than I am!
Less errors will always be better, and peaks do matter but so does errors clustered close together, jitter, and many other things that cannot be tested directly using consumer drives.

There’s a whole subforum dedicated for this topic, so it’s not something that can be explained in a post or two.

I always figure if it plays in my pickiest drive then it’s good, no matter how it tested out:bigsmile:
I have some DL burns that look hideous that I made with my old LGh22n burner yet they seem to work in every player I try them in. They make your burn scans look like a perfect example.