Backup with split thern recombine?

if i use split function to backup all of an 8GB DL DVd onto 2 SL backups, is there any easy way to then recombine these at a later date if the original becomes damaged ?
. i.e. to recreate an image of the original DL for reburning with all of the original menu structures intact.

As I understand it, merge will not do this as it will not reconstruct the original menus ?

has a reverse of the split function been previously requested ?

PS I can see how to do this manually using data discs. I could rip the 8GB to a HD folder than copy half of it to backup disc 1 & the other half to backup disc 2, . then I could reconstruct the hard drive folder by revereing the process, but if done that way the backup discs would not be playable DVDs.

If this scenario was a genuine concern, wouldn’t it be easier and cheaper (after accounting for time spent) to just buy 2 originals?

:smiley:

[QUOTE=GregiBoy;1977581]If this scenario was a genuine concern, wouldn’t it be easier and cheaper (after accounting for time spent) to just buy 2 originals?

:D[/QUOTE]

well no - the whole point is that good quality Sl blanks are dirt cheap, Dl blanks are not. 1 can buy 10 x Sl verbatims for the price of 1 Dl verbatim.
And i can write the SDls at 16x so backing up via split is faster than slowly writing & verifying to a Dl blank.

Buying slow, expensive DLs just to make backups which may never be needed is not economic. But backing up in split mode & then rebuilding on the rare occasion that a rebuild is needed seems to make sense to me.

All that’s needed is a foolproof inverse of the split function.

You could also use a backup program to backup the ripped ISO to 2 x SL disks without much effort. Or even better leave it on your HDD as the $/GB is much lower… Nero Backup will do it bloody quick and there are no end of such programs out there.

With this being said, why should Fengtao & Ting spend their time developing this feature?

There is a way cybmole, but it involves other programs (I am assuming (from GregiBoy’s comments) that Fab can not do this at present - if it can, please pardon me). Assuming your split disc retains the structure completely and menus on both DVDs (I do not know if Fab does this - other users can help), it is a matter of:

(a) copying disks A and B to 2 project folders on your HDD.

Now, using Project A as a base:

(b) substituting the titles(ets) on disk B to where they were previously blanked on the original disk - PgcEdit can do this in one click (File --> Replace VTST titles)

© checking to see if previously blanked titles(ets) have had their playback killed and if so, unkilling them.

(d) fixing the timemaps - again, PgcEdit does this (automatically on saving).

(e) testing your project in a software player.

Now, here’s a little tip for splitters. Save a copy of the pre-split IFOs on one of the discs (at the same level as the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders - these are called DVDROM files). Then, it is a piece of cake to see what goes where - you can use those IFOs as your “skeleton” DVD (and thereby eliminate steps c and d).

Regards

[QUOTE=GregiBoy;1977662]You could also use a backup program to backup the ripped ISO to 2 x SL disks without much effort. Or even better leave it on your HDD as the $/GB is much lower… Nero Backup will do it bloody quick and there are no end of such programs out there.[/QUOTE]
Well, that means he needs 4 discs per backup - 2 working ones and 2 to split the ISO with the backup program. Seems excessive.

Regards

[QUOTE=GregiBoy;1977662]You could also use a backup program to backup the ripped ISO to 2 x SL disks without much effort. Or even better leave it on your HDD as the $/GB is much lower… Nero Backup will do it bloody quick and there are no end of such programs out there.

With this being said, why should Fengtao & Ting spend their time developing this feature?[/QUOTE]

because it’s almost there anyway - tweak “split” to also retain zipped copies of the original IFOs, then make a new “combine” feature based on the existing “merge” function , which will unzip & respore then. Split already preserves all of the vob files.
Merge would be so much better if it also rebuilt menus, and split would be more useful if it had a matching “combine splits or respore original image function”.

the fact that they developed Split is evidence hhat there are users who can’t or prefer not to rely on DL copies & want to preserve all of their original content with no compression.

I have great confidence that my SL verbatim backups will work whtn I need them to - I have much less confidence in backups made to cheap DL media, and as I said in post 1 the ratio of DL: SL blank verbatims cost is over 10:1 where I live. I don’t own nero backup, I’d like to be able to do it all with the fab platinum porgram that I do own.

as for just buying replacement originals - well Dvds do go out of print / become hard to find, especially if you have minority tastes. If a favourite disc dies in say 5 years time, and is then out of print, I’d like to think that I can restore a copy from my 5 year old backups, & who knows how long DL +R copies are good for ?

I’m with GregiBoy - keep the primary backup as full image on HDD and use whatever ‘normal’ backup software for long term retention ( nothing like redundancy! ) then use DVDfab to create discs from that image should you find it necessary in the future