Backup Standalone HDD/DVD Recorder

I have a Pioneer DVR-650H-K standalone hdd/dvd recorder which I have been using to archive VHS movies etc. I now have 350+ titles on the HDD, many with important edits like chapter marks, thumbnail, title and so on. The drive itself appears to be running fine (no clicks) but I want to prepare for the worst - HDD failure. I was thinking about copying titles to rewriteable DVDs (either - {dash} or + {plus}) and then putting them in my computer’s drive and ultimately transferring the movies to an external hard drive.

I would like to be able to burn selected titles from the Pioneer onto -RW rewriteable discs, play them on my PC’s CD-ROM drive, and ultimately copy the titles to a dedicated external hard drive on my computer. I did a test burn with a few titles in Video mode and finalized the -RW disc. The disc played OK in my CD-ROM drive but the chapter marks that I had created in the titles were not recognized. Is there a way for me to preserve the title(s) on my pc’s ext. hdd exactly as they were created on the Pioneer 650 (chapter marks and thumbnail)?

It may be better to open up the device, unplug the hdd and back it up using linux etc. onto a hdd with similar specs.
But you would lose warranty of the device, of course.

@borat007
Please try to copy the whole content to hard disk and run it through FixVTS 1.603 in Full DVD mode.
Then check the fixed files in e.g. WMP or VLC Media Player.

There’s also a pretty vague note in the manual:

When copying to a DVD-R/-RW (Video mode) or DVD+R/+RW, the chapter markers in the copy may not be in exactly the same position as the original.
btw. have you already contacted official Pioneer support ?

[QUOTE=chef;2598489]It may be better to open up the device, unplug the hdd and back it up using linux etc. onto a hdd with similar specs.
But you would lose warranty of the device, of course.[/QUOTE]According to this post that’s not the best idea - at least for the device:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=18597329#post18597329

[QUOTE=borat007;2598409]I have a Pioneer DVR-650H-K standalone hdd/dvd recorder which I have been using to archive VHS movies etc. I now have 350+ titles on the HDD, many with important edits like chapter marks, thumbnail, title and so on. The drive itself appears to be running fine (no clicks) but I want to prepare for the worst - HDD failure. I was thinking about copying titles to rewriteable DVDs (either - {dash} or + {plus}) and then putting them in my computer’s drive and ultimately transferring the movies to an external hard drive.
[/QUOTE]

Well VHS is very low resolution, unless it is HD VHS and at least DVD quality. I had many DVD Movies Backed up on HDD, but I would never watch them. So I do Back them up to Movie Only DVD and Blu-ray. I do keep some Backed up on my Home Server, but I catalog my DVD’s and Blu-rays on an external File System. Like I said before, if you File them to a Server you can access them and Stream from there. :cool:

Good point about never watching some movies. I Google’d Movie Only DVD and this came up. Was it what you meant?
http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/how_to_copy_dvd_movie_with_dvd_shrink.cfm

[QUOTE=alchav21;2598586] I do keep some Backed up on my Home Server, but I catalog my DVD’s and Blu-rays on an external File System. Like I said before, if you File them to a Server you can access them and Stream from there. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Can you please tell me a bit more about your home server and external file system? At this point I’m going to do some tests with a dedicated external Seagate 1 tb hdd but I am also looking at 3 TB Western Digital HDDs that Costco has for $129.