Backup Recovery Problem

Hi

Here is the issue:

I used Nero to backup my files and very important documents (as I usually do) before I formatted my Win XP SP2 and Laptop. I used a SONY DVD RW DRU-830A USB Device and 3 Tesco DVD-RW (4x). Anyway, I did put the 3 DVDs in sequence and everything went on smoothly… when I installed the new Windows XP SP2 and Linux SUSE 10.3, non of them did identify DVD No. 2 and treated it as Blank (On NEC DVD RW ND-6750A) or I get the message “Cannot read from this disk, The Disk might be corrupted, or it might be using a format that is not compatible with windows”. I get 0 bytes of used space and 0 bytes of free space when I check the DVD properties. There is not a scratch on the DVD and I can clearly see on the DVD surface that it is not a blank. All and All, I am really frustrated. I was hoping for a clue, suggestion, advice, recovery software help, etc. Thank You in Advance and Any Help Appreciated …

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Too bad rewritable media are not the best option to store (even temporarily) backups of important data. The only options to recover data are try to read the disc with a different drive, and use a software able to retrieve as much data as possible, like isobuster

Problem may be the -R read problem many NEC drives have. For details see http://club.cdfreaks.com/f86/nec-optiarc-dvd-r-reading-problems-209168/. IMGBurn and ISOBuster should read such disks if that’s the case, or try +R/+RW disks should work too. Making ISO of problem disks with 1 of those programs and burning image to +R/+RW disks would be easiest, quickest solution I believe.

Thanx

The problem is not the NEC since it does not work on the SONY either. I am now more curious as to know what has happened rather that how to recover the data. I mean,

1- The Write Process goes smoothly
2- 2 of the 3 DVD-RW are OK
3- There is no Scratch on the DVD
4- I can see that the DVD is not blank from the surface

I mean, what the hell is going on in there? What has happened to it? Technically Speaking …

The recording layer in DVD+RW and DVD-RW discs is a phase change metal alloy (often GeSbTe) whose crystalline phase and amorphous phase have different reflectivity. The states can be switched depending on the power of the writing laser, so data can be written, read, erased and re-written. DVD-R and DVD+R discs use an organic dye. During the burn process the foil did not respond correctly or the laser calibration was faulty.